Roof Racks

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I guess it depends on what your primary use will be. I bought the Wild Boar cargo rack. It is big and beefy and can carry a lot of stuff if needed. It is very sturdy but it does make it a little difficult to fold the soft top all the way down because of the rear bar. I don't have the factory soft top which might be my problem but I do like the rack. I can see where it might keep me from wheeling through really tight spots but it hasn't been a problem so far. The cage on the rack lifts up with assistance from two gas shocks so you can fold the top back.

http://www.wildboarproducts.com/

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day, we used to have a Kargo Master Congo Cage and it worked well. Of all the racks out there, it is still by far one of the beefiest ones you can buy, is relatively affordable and requires no drilling. The Gobi Rack is another well made rack but, it's a lot more expensive.

Gibbo

I use a Garvin Wilderness rack with the rear ladder. It tilts back to remove the top. Some guys have roof top tents on them. However it really catches the wind, so I only have it on when I need it to save fuel. It takes me on my own about 45 mins to remove/install the rack, ladder, and the 4 supports, so it's not so bad. It's off right now so I can't take a photo. Worth considering.

Zadi

I don't know if you've decided on a rack yet but I went with the Gobi stealth rack and its been great! Solid construction, no rattles and most importantly, no drilling into the jeep! It's a little on the costly side but if you have the need, its well worth the money. I ordered mine directly from Gobi and at the time they were offering a free ladder, wind deflectors and shipping! This system also swings back so you can access your top. image.jpg image.jpg
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions

Gibbo

I don't know if you've decided on a rack yet but I went with the Gobi stealth rack and its been great! Solid construction, no rattles and most importantly, no drilling into the jeep! It's a little on the costly side but if you have the need, its well worth the money. I ordered mine directly from Gobi and at the time they were offering a free ladder, wind deflectors and shipping! This system also swings back so you can access your top. View attachment 12831 View attachment 12832
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions

That is a nice rack. I had to drill holes in my tub to fit the Garvin wilderness rack.

Oysterman

Thanks for sharing the pic of the Gobi rack. That is on my short list (wish it was a bit less $, but it sounds well made.) I like the lower profile look, and the no drill install.

I have a couple of user questions about dropping a soft top with this rack- does the rack have to tip back to drop the soft top? What about just the Sunrider portion?

Also, I know that they have quick releases to speed this process, but how hard is it to remove the rack altogether if you wanted to run without it?

jjparker3

Kargo Master Congo Cage

I have the Congo Cage on my 2011 JK. On it, I can mount a safari basket, a number of tool attachments and when I need to carry the kayak, I can remove the basket (10 minutes) and mount my Thule bars directly to the cage and mount the Thule Hullavator kayak rack. No drilling. One person construction although two people is better. I have the three piece hard top and removing the front two panels is painless. For soft top owners, remove the front bolts (or speed pins) and the rack lifts backwards on the rear hinges.

One word of caution if/when ordering.....all mounting attachments / brackets are sold separately. Cage + Safari basket + mounting kit ...this will save you some frustration when you're putting it all together. I'll post a photo later today once the temps outside get above 40. :eek:

Regards, JJP3

IMG-20130119-00015.jpg IMG-20130119-00014.jpg

Last edited:

Zadi

I don't have a soft top, but I've been looking for one. Can't decide on fastback style or full version! Part of that decision is how it would look with rack. I've found through my research, you would have to tilt the Gobi rack back to put down the soft top and that the sun rider feature doesn't work with the rack. I'm not sure if anyone else can provide more accurate info, but that's what I've found.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rock-itman

Ive been looking at all options also , and after finding the RHINO RACK SYSTEM , it really looks well built and easy on off set-up . ALSO it will mate w/ alll thule and yakima access . which is nice considering alot of us have kayak mounts , canoe , bike . and alot of others . goodluck there are plenty of great versions out there . I had my welder trying to fab me up roll bar brack w/ quick release for no top also version !!:rock:

Rock-itman

does any one who use frontrunner outfitter or AEV ?

these two are my favorite..

The AEV im very familier with , it has almost the same basket deign as the rhino . There mounting is unique , if you like the fact the brackets go directly through the hardtop and use the roll bar as the pressure point . Very sturdy but you cant use it w/ out the hardtop ,and when you take the hardtop off youll have some really FUNKY brackets sticking way up over original roofline . Many pics can been seen on AEV forum . This is why alot of us had used the thule permenant low profile mount , you can remove any acess including the rhino basket which they make two great designs . Goodluck ,hope that helps. My welder fabed me up some spin clamps to use the basket w/ out a top also !! :thumb:

thomp318

Could you post a pic of the AEV rack topless!? I'm about to pull the trigger and the only thing stopping me on the AEV was the reliance on the hardtop. I love the soft top in the summer.

Jeeper_2010

Back in the day, we used to have a Kargo Master Congo Cage and it worked well. Of all the racks out there, it is still by far one of the beefiest ones you can buy, is relatively affordable and requires no drilling. The Gobi Rack is another well made rack but, it's a lot more expensive.

I have the Congo Cage and it very sturdy. Almost every rack out there will require a little extra work to fold the soft top. The best part to me was the price and the fact you don't have to drill holes in the body. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361813801.577620.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361813823.276749.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361813837.410282.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom