Rotopax..

AlStew

Sub'ed for more updates and ideas. A 5 gallon jug for water bouncing around on camping trips is getting old.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I believe that the 2 gallon is 3" deep. That's why I have to get my Rotopax in before I make my carrier. I just want the (2) 2 gallon pax and not the 4 because I want the tire as close to the body as possible. So it will be pretty close to the Rotopax. I am also going to have my high lift jack on the the tail gate above the Rotopax.

Ausjeep113

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465975746.756266.jpg

Basically how I made my carrier (not finished yet) so I can have two 2 gallons, one in each hoop and then mount my high lift along the top.

I believe that the 2 gallon is 3" deep. That's why I have to get my Rotopax in before I make my carrier. I just want the (2) 2 gallon pax and not the 4 because I want the tire as close to the body as possible. So it will be pretty close to the Rotopax. I am also going to have my high lift jack on the the tail gate above the Rotopax.

Yea, I've got my hi-lift on my tailgate too. I'll do some measuring today and see if I can swing this. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Attachments

• hi lift jack tire carrier homemade_3.28.16.jpg
    hi lift jack tire carrier homemade_3.28.16.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 202

professorkx

Bought the 2 gas cans direct and the 2 water cans from 4 wheel parts. Started with a poison spyder bumper/tire rack and built the rack for the cans and saw. Our back country adventures result in needing extra fuel often. When water is gone, I have a 1000 liter water filter in the jeep to refill the water jugs.

I had one 3 gallon gas can split at the mount, so contacted Rotopax. They were very apologetic, and sent me FOUR fuel cans and spouts to replace the one that failed. Now THAT'S customer service...

I also run a 1 gallon rotopax on my dual sport after one adventure ride had me riding 16 miles after the dash said "zero miles to empty". That one extra gallon makes my wife very happy since she is always on the bike with me...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Wow that's awesome! Yeah Rotopax fixed the problem with my order and now there on there way. Also along with my roto mounts can't wait to start my tire carrier. Going to have lots of time next week to start on it. Parts are coming in as well.

professorkx

I should also note that I tried the Rotopax locking mount, but the locks don't last in the weather and become very difficult to open. The last time I removed the cylinders, it took me about 10 minutes to get then to open, so they were both tossed in the nearest garbage can and replaced with a 7 foot cable and a padlock that locks to my jack. I just looped the cable around the handles on the passenger side cans, ran the end through the gas can you see in the picture and hooked to the lock. When I carry the chainsaw, I loop the cable through the handle before it goes through the drivers side tank, which makes the chainsaw harder to steal as well. If the padlock fails, I can cut it off without much work...not so easy with the Rotopax lock fails. The cable and lock were also a lot less expensive than one Rotopax lock.

Moochie

Be careful of the extension hardware. The whole design is flawed. I don't trust the bolt anymore so I won't use it. 3 times the so called grade 8 bolt has sheared off with the weight of the outside pax. I used a cable just to make sure the outside one didn't totally fall of on the highway. The first time this happened, without a cable, my gas pax fell off completely. I was able to back track a mile and found it off the side of the road.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466176698.207891.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466176953.044667.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466177072.787378.jpg

I'm trying to determine if I should go with a Crown Jerry can (not one complaint on Amazon) vs about 33 complaints on Rotopax leaking. Anyone have this experience or recommendations? Can you mount a jerry can to the spare tire?

Top Bottom