Rubicon front 44 questions

suicideking

Pretty sure they are nitro or evo!

Yeah, no go on the evo with ARB as far as I know. I got a near new Rubi D44 front and had a sleeve and gussets installed before I knew the sleeve would rule out the ARB. :doh:

I'm probably going to wait for the OEM locker to wear out before replacing, but I've been looking into it somewhat just so I'll know what to get when the time comes. You could get an Ox locker, they make them in all sizes. I'd also check into Eaton. They released the new 4 pinion locker, but not sure if you can get one without the 35 spline shafts.

Whatever you find out, please post up.

noroad

37's will work on a OEM E-locker for a long time. I have about 70,000 miles on my rear OEM locker.

I bet but i would just like to know whats avalible for back up when it would break before i buy it, i still am considering a pr44 but if i can get this with rcvs and locked for 2500 i might do it if the locker option is greater then one lol!

Yeah, no go on the evo with ARB as far as I know. I got a near new Rubi D44 front and had a sleeve and gussets installed before I knew the sleeve would rule out the ARB. :doh:

I'm probably going to wait for the OEM locker to wear out before replacing, but I've been looking into it somewhat just so I'll know what to get when the time comes. You could get an Ox locker, they make them in all sizes. I'd also check into Eaton. They released the new 4 pinion locker, but not sure if you can get one without the 35 spline shafts.

Whatever you find out, please post up.

Deff i need to find out soon so i can make a choise on a 44!

noroad

Just save for a PR44. You will be happier in the end that you did

Sent from my iPhone

i no but i still would like to know as i can prob get this for 2500 as a pr44 is min 4500 shipped, and i wheel a ton but not crazy so the 44 would do the jobs but i am on the fence! 4500 is so far away when 2500 is like a week or soo! im just really worried about this summer with the many trips i have planned so far how long that 30 will last!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i no but i still would like to know as i can prob get this for 2500 as a pr44 is min 4500 shipped, and i wheel a ton but not crazy so the 44 would do the jobs but i am on the fence! 4500 is so far away when 2500 is like a week or soo! im just really worried about this summer with the many trips i have planned so far how long that 30 will last!

Totally understandable. I'm gonna leave you with two things too think about tho Andrew.
1. It's only a d44 in name like Eddie and moochie said before.
2. It's expensive to be cheap. If you get this you may end up breaking it and it end up costing you 7,000 in the end cause you spent the money on the d44 and then a pr44.

Just my thoughts on it. Just wanna save you some money so you can keep wheeling at Rausch with us :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone

noroad

Totally understandable. I'm gonna leave you with two things too think about tho Andrew.
1. It's only a d44 in name like Eddie and moochie said before.
2. It's expensive to be cheap. If you get this you may end up breaking it and it end up costing you 7,000 in the end cause you spent the money on the d44 and then a pr44.

Just my thoughts on it. Just wanna save you some money so you can keep wheeling at Rausch with us :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone

I think im going to see if a northridge 4x4 guy will shoot me some options im going to try an email someone there!

Elusive

I'm not trying to be different, but I have a different opinion.
1. The D-44 in the front of a JK being "in name only"
well, les compare it to the strongest front dana 44 ever made that I can think of, a 1979 F-250 8 lug dana 44
a) the 79 F-250 has a pumpkin that has cast gussets and 1/2" think tubes with very strong forged outer C's
a) the JK has an acceptable pumpkin, but the tubes and C's are way too light duty under a JK. If you sleeve them the will bend at the pumpkin.

b) the 79 has high pinion reverse cut gears that are 30% stronger than standard cut gears in the front
b) the JK has larger high pinion gears that are even stronger than the 79

c) the 79 has 297 series U-joints
c) the JK uses larger, stronger joints

d) the 79 and JK use the SAME SIZE ball joints(yes they also are the same on dana 30), yoke (1310), and inner axle shafts (1.31" 30 spline shafts)

e) 79 uses 16 spline outer axle shafts and locking hubs.
e) JK uses 30 spline unit bearings that are much stronger.

As you can see, the JK axle is equivalent or superior to the BEST dana 44 in every way except the axle tubes and C's. This is not a small problem. As with most decisions it depends on what you want to do with the jeep. If you purely rock crawl (or mud) the JK axle with sleeves and a truss should last a very long time. If you get the front off the ground ever, then you better think about upgrading the tubes and C's. bending the axle is not usually a catestrophic failure. You still drive home and have time to deal with it.
Now, your question was should you swap a JK 44 into the front of your jeep. Of course the answer depends on who you are, how and where you drive, and how much the JK axle costs. For most folks that answer is probably no, but there are still a lot of people that this makes sense for.

1 more point, the ARB fits fine in sleeved axles, the 35 spline 1.5" shafts just won't fit in the 1.5" bore of the shafts. the same would be true for and 35 spline locker

Last edited:

suicideking

1 more point, the ARB fits fine in sleeved axles, the 35 spline 1.5" shafts just won't fit in the 1.5" bore of the shafts. the same would be true for and 35 spline locker

What good is fitting an ARB in if you can't use the required shaft size?

Last edited:

Elusive

I just wanted to point out that you can still use an ARB (30 spline) with the sleeves, just not 35 spline shafts.

Yeah, no go on the evo with ARB as far as I know. I got a near new Rubi D44 front and had a sleeve and gussets installed before I knew the sleeve would rule out the ARB.

Last edited:

Elusive

This ^^ I was just talking with Drew at Off Road Evolution today and they don't make a 32 spline locker you have to go with the 35 spline and new axle shafts

I stand corrected on this.
because the stock rubi locker has an offset center pin the alloy rubi 30 spline shafts won't fit with a 30 spline dana 44 ARB (RD117) in the front.
I'm curious on the different manufacturers of 35 spline shafts though. Some are only a true 1.5" (usually actually 1.47") at the spines so these might work with the 1.5" inner bore of the sleeves...though maybe not. I wonder if a dedicated man with a cylinder bore on a drill could open the sleeves enough to get the shafts in? I've seen folks take .005 off cylinder walls this way.
Or you could install the OX locker D44-JKR-30 which is air operated and made for the JK rubi front.

Last edited:

suicideking

This ^^ I was just talking with Drew at Off Road Evolution today and they don't make a 32 spline locker you have to go with the 35 spline and new axle shafts

Did he mention what lockers will work? Looks like Ox makes one for every combo of axle, shafts etc. Any others that are known to work in a sleeved front D44?

Did he mention what lockers will work? Looks like Ox makes one for every combo of axle, shafts etc. Any others that are known to work in a sleeved front D44?

I was told that an ARB 35 spline locker will work in the factory d44 with synergy sleeves and 35 spline shafts

noroad

is the only problem that the shaft will not slide throw the sleeve? is it possable to drill it out the little extra to get the safts to fit!

Top Bottom