Rubicon locker switches to control replacement ARB locker

seanb123

Sorry for the delay here, I've been busy with other projects. Here is a simple (As simple as I can make it) diagram to run an ARB locker from the factory switches. Note: If you have done a Rubicon Locker bypass circuit this mod still works. In my case, I can allow the factory system to "think" it is in control or I can control the locker as I see fit.

This is for the rear locker only. The wiring would work for the front as well but I imagine the wire colors are different. Additionally, I have a 2013' Rubicon. I have no idea if the colors have changed over the years.

Rubicon_ARB.png

Why would one want to do this over just wiring up new buttons.... Well after a recent wheeling trip with the wife's JK sport (that has aftermarket lockers) we were plagued with ESC issues and it dawned on us that the sport stability system may not know how to properly control the axles now that they are locked. (I.E. If an axle is locked the system should not pulse the brakes in an effort to stop a slipping tire on the other axle.) It was with us and was the primary cause for several stalls. To shorten the story here, I confirmed that the ESC does monitor locker status on a Rubicon and when a locker is on it will not do this. When the lockers are off even a Rubicon will use the brakes to attempt the best traction. By wiring the circuit above the computer thinks it is still in control and has a properly locked axle and the ESC should behave as it did before.

In reality, I think the circumstances that this is an issue are few, but it still could be a factor and honestly it was a pretty easy work around. As a side bonus, the factory buttons still have a function and the dash light doesn't flash.

Hope this helps someone!

I'm trying to follow your logic here. You think the traction control will fight with you while the locker is on? The locker keeps wheels spinning at the same speed so traction control sees nothing wrong there. Would not apply brakes. Please clue me in if I am thinking about this wrong.

I'm trying to follow your logic here. You think the traction control will fight with you while the locker is on? The locker keeps wheels spinning at the same speed so traction control sees nothing wrong there. Would not apply brakes. Please clue me in if I am thinking about this wrong.

You are right.... but not in all circumstances. In the example I used earlier the rear locker was inoperable so we were only using the front. When ever one rear tire went to slip the ESC would pulse the brakes. I was spotting my wife but I could hear the ABS pump running and no matter how hard she fought to keep the Jeep alive it would stall. It was very slick and we were on a tough climb. I'm sure not having the rear working was the larger issue but it was one nonetheless. A front dig could have the same effect

Wizard

Sorry for the delay here, I've been busy with other projects. Here is a simple (As simple as I can make it) diagram to run an ARB locker from the factory switches. Note: If you have done a Rubicon Locker bypass circuit this mod still works. In my case, I can allow the factory system to "think" it is in control or I can control the locker as I see fit.

This is for the rear locker only. The wiring would work for the front as well but I imagine the wire colors are different. Additionally, I have a 2013' Rubicon. I have no idea if the colors have changed over the years.

Thank you for your efforts with the diagram. Brilliant.

I have a PR44 coming in that I intend to put an ARB in but have 0 clue on where to start with wiring it up

It doesn't have to be as complicated as I made it. I had a very specific set of goals as mentioned previously. The ARB comes with everything you need and a very nice wiring diagram. If you want to use your factory switches for the actual locker actuation, my diagram will work. You will still need a separate switch and relay for the compressor.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Rubicon_ARB.png

Why would one want to do this over just wiring up new buttons.... Well after a recent wheeling trip with the wife's JK sport (that has aftermarket lockers) we were plagued with ESC issues and it dawned on us that the sport stability system may not know how to properly control the axles now that they are locked. (I.E. If an axle is locked the system should not pulse the brakes in an effort to stop a slipping tire on the other axle.) It was with us and was the primary cause for several stalls. To shorten the story here, I confirmed that the ESC does monitor locker status on a Rubicon and when a locker is on it will not do this. When the lockers are off even a Rubicon will use the brakes to attempt the best traction. By wiring the circuit above the computer thinks it is still in control and has a properly locked axle and the ESC should behave as it did before.

In reality, I think the circumstances that this is an issue are few, but it still could be a factor and honestly it was a pretty easy work around. As a side bonus, the factory buttons still have a function and the dash light doesn't flash.

Hope this helps someone!

jnabird, you are the man! seriously! ran across the SWANKpod yesterday, and now this... :thumb: awesome! really hope to get to meet you in January! :rock:

I had a PM for how I bypassed the locker circuit. I'm replying here because I thought others could benefit.

You will need a set of new switches. Then, locate the two factory relays for the lockers.

This should help.
LockerRelays.gif

Then this picture explains the rest. The coloring (purple) that you will tap into is the same for both front and rear.
RearLockerSwitch.jpg

Edit to add. grounding the purple turns the locker on. Open the circuit to use normally or with the factory switch.

There is lots of information available on this by Googling "JK Rubicon Locker Bypass" I would've linked to a thread here but I'm not aware of one. (perhaps I should do something about that ;) )

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Edit to add. grounding the purple turns the locker on. Open the circuit to use normally or with the factory switch.

Can you elaborate what you mean here? I thought grounding the purple wire allowed the ECU to think the jeep is in 4lo and allow the lockers to be activated with the factory switch outside of 4lo, or was I mistaken? this was the gist I came to understand from the SWANKpod thread. Could be wrong though :thinking: Thanks

Edit: here it sounds like you're saying grounding the purple wire locks the axle?

I had a PM for how I bypassed the locker circuit. I'm replying here because I thought others could benefit.

You will need a set of new switches. Then, locate the two factory relays for the lockers.

This should help.
LockerRelays.gif

Then this picture explains the rest. The coloring (purple) that you will tap into is the same for both front and rear.
RearLockerSwitch.jpg

There is lots of information available on this by Googling "JK Rubicon Locker Bypass" I would've linked to a thread here but I'm not aware of one. (perhaps I should do something about that ;) )

okay so I am a wiring retard, could you dumb it down for me a bit ?

Can you elaborate what you mean here? I thought grounding the purple wire allowed the ECU to think the jeep is in 4lo and allow the lockers to be activated with the factory switch outside of 4lo, or was I mistaken? this was the gist I came to understand from the SWANKpod thread. Could be wrong though :thinking: Thanks

Edit: here it sounds like you're saying grounding the purple wire locks the axle?

Grounding the purple wire shown above activates the locker requardless of gear or drive condition. SO, BE CAREFUL

okay so I am a wiring retard, could you dumb it down for me a bit ?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'm not sure how to.... You need to ground the purple wire through a switch or relay. That's it. when the purple is grounded the locker activates.

NOTE: the locker light on your dash will blink when using the bypass switch. This is because the system has detected the locker is on but it didn't call for it to be.

so wire one side of the switch to the ground and one to the relay ? and when you flip that switch it'll lock it up ?

Yes, splice into the purple wire, run the new wire you just spliced in to a switch. Tie the other side of the switch to ground. Boom, when the switch is closed (on) the locker is on.

Yes, splice into the purple wire, run the new wire you just spliced in to a switch. Tie the other side of the switch to ground. Boom, when the switch is closed (on) the locker is on.

OKay cool, thank you for bearing with me man. I am a noob when it comes to wiring, and a bit apprehensive about my build leading up to Moab in March.

Top Bottom