Rubicon locker switches to control replacement ARB locker

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Grounding the purple wire shown above activates the locker requardless of gear or drive condition. SO, BE CAREFUL
:eek:
Thanks for clearing that up!

So if this locks the axle, but the lights on the dash are blinking because it doesnt call for being locked, does the ESC kick in if say the rear is locked and front slips? or does it KNOW a locker is engaged and its primary goal is to unlock the axle so it can reactivate ESC? if that makes sense... Just want to understand. Thanks again!

:eek:
Thanks for clearing that up!

So if this locks the axle, but the lights on the dash are blinking because it doesnt call for being locked, does the ESC kick in if say the rear is locked and front slips? or does it KNOW a locker is engaged and its primary goal is to unlock the axle so it can reactivate ESC? if that makes sense... Just want to understand. Thanks again!

Once you ground the wire you have bypassed all intelligence. It's on (period). It truth there have only been two conditions I thought the bypass was handy. 1- Front digs, 4-HI lockers use for some nasty mud. (I lied, I have also locked the front and left the rear unlocked in a parade to tire stack)

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Once you ground the wire you have bypassed all intelligence. It's on (period). It truth there have only been two conditions I thought the bypass was handy. 1- Front digs, 4-HI lockers use for some nasty mud. (I lied, I have also locked the front and left the rear unlocked in a parade to tire stack)

Gotcha. Thank you again!

nefar

Sorry for the delay here, I've been busy with other projects. Here is a simple (As simple as I can make it) diagram to run an ARB locker from the factory switches. Note: If you have done a Rubicon Locker bypass circuit this mod still works. In my case, I can allow the factory system to "think" it is in control or I can control the locker as I see fit.

This is for the rear locker only. The wiring would work for the front as well but I imagine the wire colors are different. Additionally, I have a 2013' Rubicon. I have no idea if the colors have changed over the years.

Rubicon_ARB.png

Why would one want to do this over just wiring up new buttons.... Well after a recent wheeling trip with the wife's JK sport (that has aftermarket lockers) we were plagued with ESC issues and it dawned on us that the sport stability system may not know how to properly control the axles now that they are locked. (I.E. If an axle is locked the system should not pulse the brakes in an effort to stop a slipping tire on the other axle.) It was with us and was the primary cause for several stalls. To shorten the story here, I confirmed that the ESC does monitor locker status on a Rubicon and when a locker is on it will not do this. When the lockers are off even a Rubicon will use the brakes to attempt the best traction. By wiring the circuit above the computer thinks it is still in control and has a properly locked axle and the ESC should behave as it did before.

In reality, I think the circumstances that this is an issue are few, but it still could be a factor and honestly it was a pretty easy work around. As a side bonus, the factory buttons still have a function and the dash light doesn't flash.

Hope this helps someone!

Is anybody have this picture? Or some other picture of wiring?

rockwell

I'm in the process of wiring my ARBs to my Rubicon switches. Pretty strait forward, substitute the ARB solenoid for the Rubicon locker coil, and the same two wires that go to the ARB solenoid also trip a relay that connects the Rubicon engaged switch wiring to tell the computer the locker is engaged. My ARBs will behave just like the Rubicon lockers do. I may also wire my compressor so it comes on automatically when the rear locker is engaged.

nefar

I'm in the process of wiring my ARBs to my Rubicon switches. Pretty strait forward, substitute the ARB solenoid for the Rubicon locker coil, and the same two wires that go to the ARB solenoid also trip a relay that connects the Rubicon engaged switch wiring to tell the computer the locker is engaged. My ARBs will behave just like the Rubicon lockers do. I may also wire my compressor so it comes on automatically when the rear locker is engaged.

Thank you!

rockwell

Update:
Confirmed that my theory from my last response works. I just wired my ARB solenoids into my Rubicon circuit and wired in a relay to each circuit that completes the circuit to give you a solid 'lock' light instead of a flashing one. The ARBs will work just like the factory lockers, the computer doesn't seem to know the difference. The compressor is also triggered by turning on the rear locker in case I forget to turn it on, it will come on automatically.

Last edited:

aTX427

Update:
Confirmed that my theory from my last response works. I just wired my ARB solenoids into my Rubicon circuit and wired in a relay to each circuit that completes the circuit to give you a solid 'lock' light instead of a flashing one. The ARBs will work just like the factory lockers, the computer doesn't seem to know the difference. The compressor is also triggered by turning on the rear locker in case I forget to turn it on, it will come on automatically.

Do you have the pin outs for this amd/or a write up? I have a similar project coming up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Any help here would be appreciated. I hate figuring out electrical.

Last edited:

aTX427

I had a PM for how I bypassed the locker circuit. I'm replying here because I thought others could benefit.

You will need a set of new switches. Then, locate the two factory relays for the lockers.

This should help.
LockerRelays.gif

Then this picture explains the rest. The coloring (purple) that you will tap into is the same for both front and rear.
RearLockerSwitch.jpg

Edit to add. grounding the purple turns the locker on. Open the circuit to use normally or with the factory switch.

There is lots of information available on this by Googling "JK Rubicon Locker Bypass" I would've linked to a thread here but I'm not aware of one. (perhaps I should do something about that ;) )

jnabird, do you still have that second picture that explains the rest?

rockwell

Do you have the pin outs for this amd/or a write up? I have a similar project coming up soon.

Any help here would be appreciated. I hate figuring out electrical.
IMG_0623.jpg
Here is an awful schematic of what I did. Just 3 wires for each axle. Take a look at your axle connectors to get the wire colors, the black wire on the Rubicon solenoid is a ground and can be ignored. For the front axle, I spliced into the wires in the loom that runs across the front crossmember. For the rear, I spliced in at the loom on the passenger side just forward of the transmission crossmember. I ran all the wires up to the ARB solenoids, where I mounted the 'locked' relays*. Looking at my diagram it looks more complicated than it is, it was really pretty simple. I also wired my compressor to come on when the rear locker is engaged so I don't forget (or have to) manually turn it on. If I were to do it again, I would wire the rear 'locked' relay to get its power from the compressor power so the 'locked' light flashes until I turn on my compressor.

*I added the 'locked' relays. Any standard relay would work, I used some micro relays from a Ford I picked up at the junkyard.

aTX427

Thank you for the overview. Super helpful. What year was yours and do you recall the colors? Also - will anything malfunction if I wire the Arb's independently?

Astroman

View attachment 275544
Here is an awful schematic of what I did. Just 3 wires for each axle. Take a look at your axle connectors to get the wire colors, the black wire on the Rubicon solenoid is a ground and can be ignored. For the front axle, I spliced into the wires in the loom that runs across the front crossmember. For the rear, I spliced in at the loom on the passenger side just forward of the transmission crossmember. I ran all the wires up to the ARB solenoids, where I mounted the 'locked' relays*. Looking at my diagram it looks more complicated than it is, it was really pretty simple. I also wired my compressor to come on when the rear locker is engaged so I don't forget (or have to) manually turn it on. If I were to do it again, I would wire the rear 'locked' relay to get its power from the compressor power so the 'locked' light flashes until I turn on my compressor.

*I added the 'locked' relays. Any standard relay would work, I used some micro relays from a Ford I picked up at the junkyard.

This is excellent -- well done!

I'm upgrading to new Dynatrac axles w/ARB in the next month and this is exactly how I want the lockers to work. One question though -- in your "if I were to do it again" comment above, how do you turn on your compressor? In the case of using the ARB compressor to air up tires, I'd like to activate the compressor without locker circuit involvement.

rockwell

This is excellent -- well done!

I'm upgrading to new Dynatrac axles w/ARB in the next month and this is exactly how I want the lockers to work. One question though -- in your "if I were to do it again" comment above, how do you turn on your compressor? In the case of using the ARB compressor to air up tires, I'd like to activate the compressor without locker circuit involvement.
Now that I’ve been running it the rest of the summer, “if I were to do it again” I would do it the same. I do have a switch for the compressor so I can air up without the lockers being engaged. I just have it wired to come on with the rear locker in case I forget to turn it on. I like the setup, works just like factory.

rockwell

Thank you for the overview. Super helpful. What year was yours and do you recall the colors? Also - will anything malfunction if I wire the Arb's independently?

Sorry, just saw this. Mine is a 2013, I took notes but think they got tossed when I cleaned up. It was easy to see what wire was what at the axle. I’ve heard that that traction control can get messed up if the axles are locked and the Rubicon switches aren’t engaged, but I don’t think that’s true.

Astroman

Now that I’ve been running it the rest of the summer, “if I were to do it again” I would do it the same. I do have a switch for the compressor so I can air up without the lockers being engaged. I just have it wired to come on with the rear locker in case I forget to turn it on. I like the setup, works just like factory.

Great -- thanks for the update!

Rocralr

Hello. I ordered new axles about 3 weeks ago for my 2015 JKU Rubicon. I'm just waiting for them to get here. I went with ARB and 538 gears. I will be using all new switches with my ARM twin compressor. Just easier for me. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom