Rubicon or Wrangler Unlimited and Build My Way Up?

LarryG

Great OP question. Seems like a common dilemma. I went a year old Sport with 15,000 miles. I planned PR60s and 37s from the start. Found a Rubi Swaybar for 300, and did the EVO air disco. Took a few months, but found a 4:1 transfer case for $1300 that came out of a new Rubi. Depends on what you are planning to do, how much cash you have ready, how long you have to get things done. The answer will be debated forever!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I would agree with going with a Rubicon to start if you can afford it. I just bought my 2nd jk and I wanted the new 3.6 engine which meant I couldn't afford a Rubicon unless it had high mileage so I went with a sport. I know eventually that I want 37s so the axles are gonna be swapped out at some point but for right now running with no lockers and the sport transfer case and no easy disco I'm basically wanting to spend more money on the build right off that bat that I don't have. I ran 37s on my last JKU that was a Rubicon and it did well for me I didn't feel the need to replace anything for a while that would have given me time to save up for the new axles and now worry about the disco or finding a transfer case both of wich are sparce to find unless you shell out lots of money for them. So now that I have had both I would buy a Rubicon to start just for the sake of having the disco transfer case and lockers to start off with that you can run for quite a while unless you play really hard and want 40s and just have the cash to drop on axles and stuff right after you buy the jeep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Rubicon makes sense if you don't plan on replacing your axles but my little pea brain keeps telling me than since I will be upgrading to Pro Rock 60s that I should start off with the least expensive platform possible. Hear me out...

Unlimited Sport with options I want comes in at $36.5k. Another $12k for Pro Rock 60s front and rear and then another $3k for an Atlas puts me a little over $51.5k. If I start off with a Rubicon including the options I'm at $46.25k. I'd be lucky to get $3k for the axles combined so that lowers my Pro Rock 60 cost to $9k for a grand total of $56.25k. I think given the option of an Atlas and 60s for $51.5k or stock Rubicon 4:1 and 60s for $56k most people would chose the option that costs less and gets you a better TC. Now I will say that my Sport numbers don't get me a hard top (and I really, really want a color matched hardtop which I've price out and will cost me about $2700 in parts and paint) so the two builds are actually closer than one would think. I will agree than on resale the Rubicon will do better so that's the 'X' factor.

I will be placing an order this week or next so please poke some holes in my theory to help me come to a final decision.

Last edited:

MoxieMedic

I don't know the answer to which is better to buy. I got my '16 4 door Rubi for $38.5K. I saw sports for way over the price I got mine for and decided I like this platform better. I don't have leather seats or the best audio system but I have a badass Jeep that has taken me everywhere I point it. I don't lock my diffs in right away, it does really well without them locked. BUT every time I've locked them both in I was to a point of not being able to go any farther without them. The e'disco is a cool toy, manual discos wouldn't bother me at all.
So with all that said, I'm slowly adding the things I would have added to a stock Sahara or sport anyway .. bumpers, lights, cool shit and other mods, a winch sooner than later. All stuff I would need to buy unless I bought an already built rig. I saw some very sexy built up Jeeps at the dealership but decided to do it myself. What else would I do with my time?!?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

I'm not 100% knowledgeable about the transfer case situation so maybe someone else with chime in on this but if you aren't doing a v8 swap isn't the Atlas a bit overkill? I know a lot of people look at Eddie's rigs for reference and he didn't change out the T case on Moby until the v8 swap. But honestly if I had the cash to drop right away on PR60s and other associated Build items right away shoot I would go with a sport too haha. Unless there were certain things like leather seats or nav or the sound system that you really needed out of a Rubicon that didn't come in a sport but the fact that your sport quote was 36 and you can buy a basic no option sport for around 26 I have a feeling you have it pretty optioned out haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2006, we ordered a fully loaded JK Rubicon Unlimited and that has since become Moby. In 2009, we decided that we wanted another JK and so we got a bare bones Unlimited X knowing we were going to be building it up. In 2011, we decided to buy a new JK being that it now came with a 3.6L motor and after having done it both ways, we decided to buy a Rubicon. If you can afford it, it is in my opinion, the better way to go EVEN IF you're planning on swapping axles and if only because you still get a 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disco which we still love and run to this day and you get more creature comfort options like nicer seats and NAV radio. As mentioned, we STILL run a factory 4:1 transfer case on Rubicat and only swapped out our t-case on Moby when we did our LS swap. AND, I should note that we got an Atlas 2-speed which gives us about the SAME 4:1 crawl ratio as we had.

Another thing to take into consideration with getting a Rubicon in the beginning is that if you don't immediately start modding your Jeep, you will still have a very capable vehicle, even when it's bone stock. Also I am more than satisfied with the fact that I don't have to get out of my Jeep to disconnect my sway bar or lock my axles.

benatc1

Hooked
Back in 2006, we ordered a fully loaded JK Rubicon Unlimited and that has since become Moby. In 2009, we decided that we wanted another JK and so we got a bare bones Unlimited X knowing we were going to be building it up. In 2011, we decided to buy a new JK being that it now came with a 3.6L motor and after having done it both ways, we decided to buy a Rubicon. If you can afford it, it is in my opinion, the better way to go EVEN IF you're planning on swapping axles and if only because you still get a 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disco which we still love and run to this day and you get more creature comfort options like nicer seats and NAV radio. As mentioned, we STILL run a factory 4:1 transfer case on Rubicat and only swapped out our t-case on Moby when we did our LS swap. AND, I should note that we got an Atlas 2-speed which gives us about the SAME 4:1 crawl ratio as we had.

This was my thought as well when I purchased my new Rubicon, even though i swapped the axles out right away there was a lot more that it had to offer underneath and inside. I figured if i was going to spend 35-45k on something anyway i didn't want it to be bare bones. but agree with many people that if you can afford to do it then its worth it, otherwise maybe not. plus you get the fancy Rubicon hood sticker with it:thumb:

RSQCON

Well after some more thought and number crunching I've decided to go with a Rubicon. My end goal is still to run 37s on a set of D60s. I'll be placing my order next week.

RSQCON

I really don't have any interest in 40s. My goal is to build a well rounded and highly durable rig. I'll tell you guys what made me change my mind. After getting a quote from my dealer the price difference is a little over $7k but the Rubicon price included the color matched hard top while the Sport was just a soft top and then I was planning to purchase a primered hard top and pay to have it painted. That was going to cost me $3k so the difference was down to $4k. At that point I figured between selling off the axles along with the wheels and tires I'm getting the 4:1 tc at no additional cost.

Btw those numbers on the Sport and Rubicon were MSRP and moderately optioned. The dealer quoted me $39,xxx on a $45,xxx MSRP Rubicon so I'm pretty happy with the price.

Last edited:

Serj5.7

Hi guys thank u for the responds ... no don't feel comfortable to throw big cash .. no don't wanna build a big rock crawler ... more in to adventures .. but would like to be able to crawl on anything come a cross and if any jeep club I'll be joining seams I'm in California would like to go any were ... thanks to all of you replied to me all of you and hope I'll be seen u guys next year ...

Serj5.7

Okay got the point guys thanks ... and ones again thank U Eddie and everyone ales that replied ya I think I'm gonna stick w rubicon !! And get back To you Eddie and everyone ales hope I will see u all on trail one day ...

Serj5.7

Well 37 it's max I'll go right now but in future I will love to have those 40s I've done some off road ,, no rock crawling and all that crazy shit you guys do lol ... but I'm hoping rubi will do fine w 37s

I would go with a rubicon also. I recently had to replace my 13 rubicon due to meth heads tboning us at 60 mph................I loved that jeep!!!! So I went out in search again. I drove a bunch of jeeps. I found that the rubicon had the right gears to roll 35s for me. I figured that by the time I regeared, added lockers, and a quick disconnect sway bar, I would be into about the same money as a rubicon.............with out the 44 front axle...............easy choice for me. So I replaced the 13 with a low mile 16 rubicon. Now back to setting it up. Getting happier with each modification I throw at it:brows:

Be safe. Merry Christmas.
SFS

Top Bottom