Rubicon Recon Edition: "Stronger front axle"

el_chupo_

Just for posterity and ease of comparison, here is a picture from Spicer with the old version:

u44_callouts.jpg

Should be easier to see the difference now...

OJK12

They do look bigger but for me it definitely would not be enough to sway me to pay the extra cash just to get this. If I was buying a new and better axle for my JK the UD44 wouldn't even be on my list of axles to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

silverbullet88

Rubicon Recon Edition: "Stronger front axle"

I saw a video today from koh. Jeep spokes person said "bigger c's" and "thicker tubes". Along with heavier duty dif covers.

TheGrendel

They do look bigger but for me it definitely would not be enough to sway me to pay the extra cash just to get this. If I was buying a new and better axle for my JK the UD44 wouldn't even be on my list of axles to look at.

I am currently trying to spec out a JKUR to replace my JKR. When I go through the options and add them up, the difference between what I want and the Recon is not that much. I can see where it would be if you skimped on a lot. But, I have to say these claims about the wild cost difference for the Recon don't seem to be ringing true.

I am likely ordering a Recon and will be happy for it. A rig designed to handle 35s out of the box is quite appealing to me and i am sure many others.

OJK12

I am currently trying to spec out a JKUR to replace my JKR. When I go through the options and add them up, the difference between what I want and the Recon is not that much. I can see where it would be if you skimped on a lot. But, I have to say these claims about the wild cost difference for the Recon don't seem to be ringing true.

I am likely ordering a Recon and will be happy for it. A rig designed to handle 35s out of the box is quite appealing to me and i am sure many others.

I wasn't so much talking about the Recon package as I was about the axle housing alone. I would not spring the Spicer knowing full well the Dynatrac axle was way better and not much difference in price. I'm sure a lot of guys will spring for the Recon but again I wouldn't buy one just because it has the upgraded housing there would have to be more reasons than just the housing because otherwise it's still just a Rubicon. I'd also say that just because the C's are bigger doesn't mean for sure they won't bend either, they still don't look as beefy as a Dynatrac. The hope is they will be strong enough but I think we have all seen products claim to be strong only to turn out to be inferior, and I'm sure if you sprung for the Recon just to get the housing and then learned it wasn't any better you'd be kicking yourself.

TheGrendel

I wasn't so much talking about the Recon package as I was about the axle housing alone. I would not spring the Spicer knowing full well the Dynatrac axle was way better and not much difference in price. I'm sure a lot of guys will spring for the Recon but again I wouldn't buy one just because it has the upgraded housing there would have to be more reasons than just the housing because otherwise it's still just a Rubicon. I'd also say that just because the C's are bigger doesn't mean for sure they won't bend either, they still don't look as beefy as a Dynatrac. The hope is they will be strong enough but I think we have all seen products claim to be strong only to turn out to be inferior, and I'm sure if you sprung for the Recon just to get the housing and then learned it wasn't any better you'd be kicking yourself.

oh i am in agreement with you. again for me, the difference in price between the Rubi I spec'd and the Recon are close enough for me to just step to it. so, we shall see. :cool:

j2dna

Long time lurker with a question...

I'm looking at getting back into a JK and am considering the Recon. I'm planning on running a Teraflex lift (2.5" or 3") with flat fenders and have been eyeing the Cooper STT Pro 315/70/17 tires. I noticed the STT 37's measure a little over 35". Would the 37's run fine on this front axle and all I would have to worry about is regearing (4.88/5.13)? It will mostly be a weekend vehicle and will hit the trails occasionally when i make a trip back to AR.

jkrichard

Long time lurker with a question...

I'm looking at getting back into a JK and am considering the Recon. I'm planning on running a Teraflex lift (2.5" or 3") with flat fenders and have been eyeing the Cooper STT Pro 315/70/17 tires. I noticed the STT 37's measure a little over 35". Would the 37's run fine on this front axle and all I would have to worry about is regearing (4.88/5.13)? It will mostly be a weekend vehicle and will hit the trails occasionally when i make a trip back to AR.
I advocate for regearing. The tire size won't dog you but you'll definately notice it working harder in the hills. It's nice to have the little extra torque restored.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Come on dude. It has red seat belts. [emoji23]

J

JKDream

Yeah, I'm fine regearing. Just not sure I wanna go the extra mile with trusses. gussets, etc.

Forget the truss, just look into gussets.
In all honestly, you should have gussets for 35's or 37's.
IMO I'd be re-gearing on either size tire even with 4:10's - so if you want 37's in the future I'd plan for that instead of buying 35's.
I'd also look into a different lift.

TheGrendel

Forget the truss, just look into gussets.
In all honestly, you should have gussets for 35's or 37's.
IMO I'd be re-gearing on either size tire even with 4:10's - so if you want 37's in the future I'd plan for that instead of buying 35's.
I'd also look into a different lift.

Hopefully gussets won't be necessary with the Recon axles. We shall see though.

Top Bottom