Rubicon Recon Edition: "Stronger front axle"

OJK12

I was looking on spicers website and they show a picture of the new UD44 with bigger end forgings than before. Not sure if it's the same axle you saw but here is a pic of the "C". IMG_2705.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ScoobyCarolanNC

I'm very tempted to check it out. It's more axle than I'd ever really need which means it's exactly what I want. I'm just not in love with the heavy graphics. I'm really hoping they open up options a bit in the JL. Maybe this is a taste of things to come.

Sent from my duck blind.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
The axle in the Recon is the D44HD/J8 PN P5160036 that Mopar has had available from Mopar Performance for the last 3 years or so.

thats a beefed up D44 for the mili spec J8 produced in Egypt. Not sure it is much tougher than the standard D44 when fitted with 35 and up tires and 4.10 and up ring and pinion set.

JTPhoto JK

The Mopar D44HD/J8 is the same housing as the Dana UD44.. Totally Rubicon compatible. The True J8 D44 milspec axle in Egypt is not Rubi compatible as far as internal parts.
I've built 2 - D44HD/J8 axles so far and another is on the way.

Last edited:

JTPhoto JK

Lol they look the same to me. Is there a press release or just heresay. They have always said they had heavier tubes and stronger Cs. The Cs on JK axles don't bend anyway the tubes always bent at the C weld.

Last edited:

JTPhoto JK

So far all the photos, videos and documentation on Dana Spicer site is of the UD44 with the original Cs they started with. That photo above may look like they are a bit bigger at a certain angle but other angles look the same as before.. There is absolutely no mention of bigger upper Cs on their website.. However the closed in control arm brackets and 2 position trackbar bracket is a great addition..

http://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/a...mate-dana-44-front-axles-for-jeep-wrangler-jk

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
So far all the photos, videos and documentation on Dana Spicer site is of the UD44 with the original Cs they started with. That photo above may look like they are a bit bigger at a certain angle but other angles look the same as before.. There is absolutely no mention of bigger upper Cs on their website.. However the closed in control arm brackets and 2 position trackbar bracket is a great addition..

http://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/a...mate-dana-44-front-axles-for-jeep-wrangler-jk
They just changed it. The new axle went under the Rubicon Recon which was just announced last Monday and apparently Dana decided to change the UD44 at the same time. That picture above is from their website and it just went up. If you look at that picture and can't tell the difference you may need to go to the eye dr lol.

Regardless, the new axle in the Recon should be plenty for 35s now without C gussets, 37s it likely depends how you use your rig on whether the thicker tubes are enough or you still need something bigger like a PR44.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
They just changed it. The new axle went under the Rubicon Recon which was just announced last Monday and apparently Dana decided to change the UD44 at the same time. That picture above is from their website and it just went up. If you look at that picture and can't tell the difference you may need to go to the eye dr lol.

Regardless, the new axle in the Recon should be plenty for 35s now without C gussets, 37s it likely depends how you use your rig on whether the thicker tubes are enough or you still need something bigger like a PR44.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You are assuming the new axles will have decent welds and made out of good steel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You are assuming the new axles will have decent welds and made out of good steel.

:cheesy: Yup :yup:

Cracks me up that they would have now have new end forgings especially after their engineers swore that the factory ones were engineered to be plenty strong, weren't bending as some would suggest and the whole gusset thing was based on some kind of bad rumor. :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
:cheesy: Yup :yup:

Cracks me up that they would have now have new end forgings especially after their engineers swore that the factory ones were engineered to be plenty strong, weren't bending as some would suggest and the whole gusset thing was based on some kind of bad rumor. :crazyeyes:

Yep ^. According to a Sirjeepalot, he received contact from a Dana engineer about this and posted this previously:

I got off the phone with a Dana Spicer engineer and this is what he said about the end forging/yolk/Inner-C and Ultimate Dana 44.

Me: “Just about everyone I talk to recommends welding on Inner-C gussets on Dana 44’s because they bend. And that the Ultimate Dana 44 looks to be the same”
Engineer: "Dana axle end forgings are not the parts that these guys are bending, it's the axle tube, specifically the long side. Anything short of a car wreck is not going to bend the end forgings. These Jeep forums and Internet blogs have been feed a lie from who knows where and are full of BS. Furthermore if you weld on the gussets they sell for the end forgings, your “Inner-C” you'll actually make it weaker because of the heat needed to weld them on changes the grain size, structure and flow imparted by the forging process, so don't do that!”

Me: “What about putting sleeves in mine?”
Engineer: “I’m not in sales and can’t tell you what to buy or do, if done properly installing sleeves will help but it’s a Band-Aid at best, a single thicker tube is far stronger. If you are going to run 35" or 37" tires and actually go off-roading with your JK I would recommend whether or not you buy the Ultimate Dana 44 from us you should upgrade your front axle. Myself and the other Dana Spicer engineer’s specifically designed the Ultimate Dana 44 to address the week axle tubes, brackets and axle shafts among other things on the JK for off-road use with 37” tires. I will tell you we did in fact strengthen the end forgings as well. Above 37” tires I would go with the Dana 60 or the like.”

I smell Bullshit over the whole thing.

Top Bottom