Scissor & Bottle Jacks

CrazyDuck

Scissor & Bottle Jacks

Grew up pulling barbed wire with a hi-lift. I'd only use one to lift a vehicle if it was the only option avail and in a level parking lot. :cheesy:

I prefer a BJ to gettin' high any day. :thinking:

For off highway recovery work I keep a few 4 ton come alongs in with the recovery gear. They aren't as versatile as a hi-lift but several order of magnitude safer & perfect for setting up shifting pulls or to steady loads.

Not trying to take anything away from the awesome of a double hi-lift setup though. Sicker lookin' than a snorkel any day. :rock:

Got ya. At home I have a 3 ton floor Jack. And I have a bottle Jack that I carried in my TJ before I got the hilift. I guess it wouldnt hurt to put the bottle Jack back in.

WJCO

Meme King
A Hi-Lift is probably one of the WORST tools to use to change a tire. Unless you strap up your axle, you have to lift your Jeep dangerously high just to get the tire off the ground and being that everything is held up by an unstable iron stick, the chances of someone getting really hurt is very high. Also, if you're not careful, the jack handle itself can be an extremely dangerous piece of steel tube that can fly at a tremendous speed if it were to slip out of your hands. I have seen guys get seriously hurt from this. When it comes to changing tires, a good bottle jack is a far superior and safer tool to use. As far as using it as a come-along, that is one of the few really useful ways that it can be used but, a good winch will do the same job better and safer. There are instances where a Hi-Lift is a good recovery tool to have but more times than not, I they are just used to make your Jeep look cool or are incorrectly used to change a tire.

There's always this method too.

auto-jack.jpg

CrazyDuck

A Hi-Lift is probably one of the WORST tools to use to change a tire. Unless you strap up your axle, you have to lift your Jeep dangerously high just to get the tire off the ground and being that everything is held up by an unstable iron stick, the chances of someone getting really hurt is very high. Also, if you're not careful, the jack handle itself can be an extremely dangerous piece of steel tube that can fly at a tremendous speed if it were to slip out of your hands. I have seen guys get seriously hurt from this. When it comes to changing tires, a good bottle jack is a far superior and safer tool to use. As far as using it as a come-along, that is one of the few really useful ways that it can be used but, a good winch will do the same job better and safer. There are instances where a Hi-Lift is a good recovery tool to have but more times than not, I they are just used to make your Jeep look cool or are incorrectly used to change a tire.

Thanks for the info. I really wouldn't use it as a come-along unless absolutely necessary. Im much to lazy for that. I'll put the bottle Jack back in the jeep.

Byte

Got ya. At home I have a 3 ton floor Jack. And I have a bottle Jack that I carried in my TJ before I got the hilift. I guess it would hurt to put the bottle Jack back in.

Yep...good plan. Be sure to keep a suitable base with it. I keep a few 2' sections of 2x6, a few 1' chunks of 4x4 and 1.5' chunk of railroad tie ratchet strapped together. I just toss that into the back of my Tacoma when I'm headed out to run trails. Not sure how I'll stuff that lump o' crap into the jeep but I'll figure something out. The back seats in my unlimited aren't really going to see much use. :cheesy: Might be able to gain some cargo space there!

Hi-lifts are great leverage tools, don't get me wrong. Vehicle jacks they are not. They aren't too bad for lifting as long as the jaw doesn't go above the bottom 3rd of the jack body. As you pass the center physics begins to turn ugly. I've even seen them used as ultra redneck vehicle hoists in a shop. This isn't something I would recommend anybody does! Forget I even said anything. :idontknow:

trailraider

I carry my hi lift mainly for safety. If some thing happens I have it as a tool if needed.
Had to use one about twenty years ago to pry a roof to get a guy out in a roll over. Have always carried one since then.

mds22

No doubt hi-lifts serve a purpose, but I'd say half the people mount them on their rigs just for looks. They don't know how to use one if they needed to and would kill themselves if they tried. I own one but don't carry it, I'll stick with my bottle jack.

Top Bottom