Scott's 2 car garage build

WJCO

Meme King
I want to insulate it but I like having the studs exposed. Way to insulate but do drywall between studs rather than over it or something?

Leave it open. Picture of ours below. Insulation is stapled on. Most comfortable garage I've ever worked in(with no heater), and we've had two visitors comment on how comfortable our garage feels. (Garage faces west if that makes a difference).

1512936390832-54909786.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Leave it open. Picture of ours below. Insulation is stapled on. Most comfortable garage I've ever worked in(with no heater), and we've had two visitors comment on how comfortable our garage feels. (Garage faces west if that makes a difference).

View attachment 285518

Could you use a big piece of plywood instead of drywall, seems like it would be more solid to attach stuff to?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
I like it. Maybe a combo of these two. Insulate it as Doug has done but then finish it with some thin plywood between the studs. Gives me more surface area to hang things on. That second step could come later though.

Doug, estimate to insulate as you've shown?

Brute

Hooked
I like it. Maybe a combo of these two. Insulate it as Doug has done but then finish it with some thin plywood between the studs. Gives me more surface area to hang things on. That second step could come later though.

Doug will do it for beers...

WJCO

Meme King

This is just a place we're renting right now. So I have no idea. Home depot has rolls of it, so you may be able to calculate a rough idea. Just make sure it's to code. I know around here, insulation code changed about 5-10 years ago where you have to use a certain type of better.

TrailHunter

Hooked
If you insulate yourself, for the average garage... with R13 in the walls and R19 for the ceiling (or Rafters) you are looking at about $450-$550 in materials... R30 (10” tall) is ideal for ceilings but will stick up higher than R19 which could affect your storage above... and R30 will cost more. R15 will fit in the 2x4 walls and give you a little better R-value. If you go through a company, probably about $650-$750 installed.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

More things I've found online that I may incorporate somehow

Screenshot_20171212-222708-480x270.png

image-3-498x509.png

Screenshot_20171213-130904-432x768.png

Screenshot_20171213-130924-432x768.png

Screenshot_20171213-131101-540x960.png

image-334x322.png

image-1-504x499.png

image-2-495x496.png

image-4-504x503.png

image-5-503x425.png

Also, you know it's getting serious when you've created a CAD model of the garage/house

IMG_20171222_104805.jpg

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Never been a fan of pegboard, did my old garage with french cleats. Super easy to make and looks nice enough.

Made a bunch of little boxes and hangers for all kinds of stuff. Only tools I needed were a circular saw, a jig saw and a cordless drill. All I used was mdf or plywood so it was cheap.

GraniteCrystal

You'll need to reserve one entire wall to fishing rod storage...I would...
Not opposed to this. I mean, you got your spinner rods, 2 per person, than your fly rods, 5 weight, 8 weight, etc, then you got your spear gun, then you got your nets (plural), then you got your deep sea rods...and that's not even accounting for the giant swordfish mount

Brute

Hooked
Not opposed to this. I mean, you got your spinner rods, 2 per person, than your fly rods, 5 weight, 8 weight, etc, then you got your spear gun, then you got your nets (plural), then you got your deep sea rods...and that's not even accounting for the giant swordfish mount

You have no idea how many rods & reels I have...going on 50+...and I've just taken up fly fishing again after a 40 year hiatus...need to pick up a couple more...

Top Bottom