Scott's build of a CJ7

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
That's a good example of how some of the YJ stuff is a direct bolt on. They look great!

That looks like an aftermarket top, hard to tell, but there are no door surrounds. As long as you use YJ uppers for the doors and have all the hardware, the YJ factory top is pretty much bolt in for a CJ-7.

That particular step is an add on. They did however offer a factory step that looked like this. Im really glad to see a resurgence of cj's on here.

View attachment 263307

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It is an add on but was available from the dealer. Being chrome, that one probably was an aftermarket one. The factory ones I saw were black or color matched and had the diamond texture. A lot of them were added to the CJ's as soon as they hit the lot. We had at least 2 dealers in Mi that put them on almost all of them, really popular right before tube steps became the rage. Check out the Laredo and limited in the factory brochure for 1982.

99143-01.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Saw this guy today. Very cool. Almost went up to the house to make an offer but knew I couldn't afford what they'd want even if they would sell it.

IMG_20170626_092707.jpg

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Saw this guy today. Very cool. Almost went up to the house to make an offer but knew I couldn't afford what they'd want even if they would sell it.

View attachment 265575

Racing stripe on a CJ7? I'm kind of digging it.
View attachment 265641

View attachment 265642

Another example of the seats and steering wheel I like
View attachment 265643

Scramblers are going to cost more than a CJ-7 in the same condition, at least every one I have seen. The steering wheel looks stock but most of the older ones did not have a tilt column, used to be a popular upgrade from what I remember. The low back seats were stock in the 60's and early 70's, they switched to the high back ones for comfort and safety, most of the replacement seat manufacturers make a low back that you could bolt in.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The problem with Scramblers is the overhang in the rear. If going off road much, the rear tends to hang up on everything. The solution has been to bob that section, but in my mind that ruins the Jeep, even if it does keep the wheelbase. If just doing a resto-mod with light off roading then a Scrambler is cool. Otherwise I'd stick to a CJ-7.

GraniteCrystal

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The scrambler just looks oddly proportioned to me. Not planning on doing any offroading with it, but just prefer the look of the CJ7.

Top Bottom