Scrambler's Build

Scrambler

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462225755.675578.jpg I wanted to wait a little while before I made a post on it so I could let it sink in that I no longer owned a JK. My wife and I have been on a mission to rid ourselves of debt. I took my Jeep to a local lot just to look at a TJ I saw out front. The owner came out and made an offer on my Jeep that was fairly close to what I was willing to let it go for. In the end we came to some common ground on what I'd sell my JK for and buy the TJ for. So here is my "new" (almost)paid off ride. Parts should be rolling in a couple months from now. Tummy tuck and axles are my top priority. I'll probably just keep this build thread going just with a different Jeep.

GraniteCrystal

Eliminating debt is a great choice. Way to go.

Awesome TJ. I had half doors on mine and loved them. Might be able to swap someone straight up.

Scrambler

Eliminating debt is a great choice. Way to go.

Awesome TJ. I had half doors on mine and loved them. Might be able to swap someone straight up.

Thanks. It didn't really make sense for me to be paying for a vehicle that just sat in the garage, since I am working from home now.

I sold the hardtop yesterday and have been looking around for some half doors.

Napalm

As difficult as it is to humble yourself with debt, it is a great idea to do so. You've done a good thing and it's a very nice TJ. Excited to see the build!

Scrambler

As difficult as it is to humble yourself with debt, it is a great idea to do so. You've done a good thing and it's a very nice TJ. Excited to see the build!
It was hard to let the jk go, but it feels 100 times better to not be making a payment (and not worrying about breaking shit on something I'm making payments on). This build is going to be slightly less budget minded. I'm able to do what I want to do to the TJ instead of wishing what I had done to the Jk.

Getting rid of debt is always a good thing. :thumb:
I agree, as does my accountant(wife).

Oh man I got rid of my 4 door JK and got a Red TJ also [emoji33]
It's funny going from the JK to the TJ. I enjoy driving it more, I think... Have you figured out how to get the Uconnect to work on it yet, though? [emoji23]

Scrambler

As with any older used vehicles, it is understandable that there are bound to be a few worn out parts and hick ups mechanically. I stalled the TJ out yesterday, restarted it, and proceeded to drive it back to the house. I had to limp it back to the house because I couldn't get it above second gear without it wanting to die on me. When I tried to push the throttle more than a quarter way down it would back fire and hiccup (the best way I know how to describe it) from the engine area. I have ordered a new crankshaft position sensor because I think this may be the culprit, but I also found that the upstream O2 sensor had a wire that was pulled loose from the sensor. I also ordered this, although I don't believe this has caused my problem, but maybe the sudden jarring of stalling out pulled it loose. The more I read, though, it sounds as if I may jumped a tooth on the timing chain, so I may go ahead and order new gears and timing chain because I doubt it has been replaced, ever. Any thoughts or suggestions from the TJ owners/previous owners out there? Would you think a FUBARed O2 sensor cause these issues?

Scrambler

I replaced the O2 sensor, crankshaft position sensor, new champion spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotary button. The engine has smoothed out on idle, but when driving around I get some slight back firing and loss of power until I reach a certain load range in each gear. I had a guy that specializes in these 4.0 engines check it out yesterday and he came up with a bad distributor ignition pick up coil as the possible culprit. I've ordered this and I am crossing my finger that this will fix the problem. Parts are dirt cheap and I am definitely thankful for that.

Scrambler

To continue from this past Saturday, the interior has been lined. I think it came out pretty good considering it came from the cheap Rustoleum bedliner kit. IMG_1476394284.418522.jpg

I also picked up a set of Bestop 2 piece soft doors from Morris 4x4 during their Columbus Day sale. I do have to brag on them a bit because I wasn't able to get the code to work on Monday, but they honored the code anyways on Tuesday once I explained the situation and the doors were here in 2 days. IMG_1476394447.298444.jpg

My top will be here Saturday. Next on the list is a new radiator due to the fact that mine has developed a leak over the summer and I'm having to add water about once a week.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scrambler

I seem to be going through these Jeeps faster than my kid goes through pull ups. Here is the latest buy:
rsz_1img_1785 (1).jpg
1999 XJ
HP 30 up front, 8.25 in the rear
NP231 Transfer Case

Besides some rust on the top, it is in pristine, untouched condition. I paid well under what XJ's are going for in my area, after shopping around and wading through the crazies asking double to triple what these things are actually worth. It amazes how people think adding a cheap spacer lift, cutting up the body, and getting some cheap steel wheels and bigger tires somehow makes these worth that much. The guy I got it from said that it has a "police package", which from my understanding through limited research I've done online, could mean numerous things from bigger brakes to better suspension components to interior differences. I've yet to confirm any of this and short of trying to find a build sheet on the vehicle, I'm going to say it is probably just a run of the mill XJ. It did come with the original manual in the glovebox, which I thought was nice touch.

Scrambler

Didn't you just get the XJ?

Yes. We didn't really need it and selling it puts us A LOT closer to our financial freedom goal. It was kind of a dumb buy on my part because I thought I needed an XJ, when I really just wanted an XJ. We're going to hold out for the 2nd or 3rd year run of the JL before we buy anymore Jeeps. I'm sure I'll get the itch before then, but I'm going to try not to scratch it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. We didn't really need it and selling it puts us A LOT closer to our financial freedom goal. It was kind of a dumb buy on my part because I thought I needed an XJ, when I really just wanted an XJ. We're going to hold out for the 2nd or 3rd year run of the JL before we buy anymore Jeeps. I'm sure I'll get the itch before then, but I'm going to try not to scratch it.

LOL!! Got it. Sounds like a smart move - something that can be difficult to do when it comes to Jeeps :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom