Serious question about big tires....

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Ok, I was browsing the recent rubicon thread and came across this photo....

main.php

How do you guys with the 37s, or better yet, 40s, change a spare out on the trail? Now I get it if you are wheeling with a lot of people that can help, but how do you do it if you're alone? How do you get the flat back onto the carrier? Genuinely curious.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Fortunately I only have 37s ~140lbs~ and can barely man handle the sunuvabich by my self. Any heavier and I would need help.

JeepFan

Hooked
Great question! Unless you're super strong and can lift an awkward 215 lb tire and somehow line it up with the tire carrier wheel studs, NEVER go wheeling alone...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I run 37" TG's with ATX slabs. Weighed them at 131lbs each. Mounting them up is no fun especially the spare, but doable. If you're having trouble, find something to roll it up on to get it a few feet off the ground. Then you can just bear hug it. I also only jack the jeep up just enough to mount the tire. Makes lining things up easier when you only have to lift it an inch or so. Best to have a helper though if you can.

dillard09

Getting the spare off the carrier is easier than putting the other back on the carrier. I just put the bad in the back of the Jeep until I'm in a better place on the trail to attempt or where someone can help. Just be sure and strap it down so it don't roll around.

Ddays

Hooked
LOL, this comes across my mind when I rotate tires! I never weighed my combo (37x13.5 Coopers & Chamber Pros) but I swear I have to chase one of the boys down every time I have to get the spare on & off the carrier - that's the hardest part! I use my feet to help position the wheels on the lugs. I'm not a small guy and that certainly helps me do it by myself. I guess the key is that you don't want to have to lift the tire too high when you change out. I only lift it a half inch or so off the ground. You'd have to do the same thing on the trail.

Wonder how much heavier a 40" combo is over the 37's? :crazyeyes:

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
i can kinda fit between the tire and fenders so its really funny almost getting stuck when i mount my tires but the nice part is i only have to lift them 2 inches! spare i just man handle up and hope for the best

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
As everyone has already said, Lift the axle JUST high enough for the tire to rotate by hand. :thumb:

as for putting the spare back on the carrier, I set the wheel (outside sidewall facing down) on the rear tow hitch then push the tire up so that it is resting on the tow hitch and lifted off the ground, then "bear hug" it up onto the studs. 37/13.50/17 TOYO OC MTs on Slabs

OhNoTheJiggies

Getting it on and off the carrier is the worst. Friends are the best help. But as far as getting the tire onto the axle, I put my breaker bar below the hub and roll the tire onto it. Then just use the leverage of the breaker bar to lift the tire the two inches or so to slide it on.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I was browsing the recent rubicon thread and came across this photo....

How do you guys with the 37s, or better yet, 40s, change a spare out on the trail? Now I get it if you are wheeling with a lot of people that can help, but how do you do it if you're alone? How do you get the flat back onto the carrier? Genuinely curious.

I'm not a big guy by any means but I can still just manage a heavy 37x13.50 Range E Toyo or Cooper mounted on a heavy ATX bead lock wheel by myself. With help from Cindy who is pretty petite, I can just manage a 40 but really, the best solution is to never wheel alone or, only run as big of a tire as you yourself can manage by yourself.

geberhard

Douchebag
One trick is to use the hi-lift as a "ramp" when rigged against the hitch receiver. That is how I normally roll bigger tires on the back of my truck. Then rotate the tire and slightly flip the upper tire part. My JK carrier doe snot have studs (has a single center mount), so makes it easier.

DO not forget to keep eating your Weathies :)

JeepPeeps

i have atx beadlocks and 40's and an interesting tip i got from the guys at my shop was when mounting the tire to the hub it is relatively easy to line it up by putting your shovel under the tire and using it like a lever for up/down and side to side... i have only had 1 flat off road and had 37's at the time and didn't need it but with the 40's it would be very helpful.

as for getting it back on the spare tire mount, guess if it is just the wife and i we will just have to do the best we can

DINKELROC

First grab a "Depends", Then pop a can of SPINICH...and hopfully get it the first try. If not consume mass quantities repeat with a clean Depends!

Top Bottom