Sharpen Up Steering?

TerraJL

Now that my MC Game-changer 2.5" lift is on, I am going to focus on some steering components. The lift actually gave me about 3.25" of height. I don't have anything weighing it down yet. I'm also still on the factory BFG KO2's which are, what? 32s? I just measured it and the contact patch is about 9.25" on the tires themselves. When I upgrade to 37s, the contact patch will be about 12" (roughly).

The steering, currently, is fine but I would like to sharpen it up a little. What is a good way to do that? My Jeep is brand new so nothing is worn out yet. It has 1,200 miles on it. I don't know what would have the greatest impact on steering improvements. Would appreciate some feedback.

TerraJL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "sharpen up"? What is it doing or not doing to make you feel like something needs to be addressed?

TerraJL

Good question! I guess I mean when I move the steering wheel to the left and right about an inch or two, the Jeep doesn't really actually move left or right. This was also apparent BEFORE I added the lift. The steering feels a little numb. I realize this isn't a sports car. I am ok with the way it drives. I've had it aligned since adding the lift and all the numbers are good. I was just hoping to tighten up the steering some to allow it to dart left and right more precisely. Not even sure this is doable. I hope that makes more sense.

TerraJL

TerraJL

I did find this video on YT that talked about the steering box and how you can adjust it to take up the slop in the steering. Not sure if this is even advisable. But, it's interesting none the less. Go to about the 2 min and 20 second mark:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good question! I guess I mean when I move the steering wheel to the left and right about an inch or two, the Jeep doesn't really actually move left or right. This was also apparent BEFORE I added the lift. The steering feels a little numb. I realize this isn't a sports car. I am ok with the way it drives. I've had it aligned since adding the lift and all the numbers are good. I was just hoping to tighten up the steering some to allow it to dart left and right more precisely. Not even sure this is doable. I hope that makes more sense.

TerraJL
What you are feeling is a solid axle with a drag link connected to a pitman arm that's fastened to the passenger side knuckle and then a tie rod connecting it to the driver side. Nothing you can install or do will make it feel like what you're wanting and that is a rack and pinion system or something along those lines.

TerraJL

I am once again reminded at how much really bad information can be found on the internet.
This is why I verify everything I see on the internet via multiple sources. I don't really trust anyone by default. Thanks for the reply!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is why I verify everything I see on the internet via multiple sources. I don't really trust anyone by default. Thanks for the reply!
To be clear, adjusting your steering box will cause the gear inside to wear out pretty fast. And really, the sensation that you get from it is just tight steering - NOT sharper and with less play like you feel on a Jeep with all it's links. How do I know? Because this is all stuff that we were playing with almost 20 years ago back when the JK first came out and guys who've never owned Jeeps just started buying them because they had 4-doors.

And, for whatever it's worth, you should try driving an older Jeep like a CJ or older like a Willys - now that's some crazy loose steering or at least, by comparison to a JL.

TerraJL

To be clear, adjusting your steering box will cause the gear inside to wear out pretty fast. And really, the sensation that you get from it is just tight steering - NOT sharper and with less play like you feel on a Jeep with all it's links. How do I know? Because this is all stuff that we were playing with almost 20 years ago back when the JK first came out and guys who've never owned Jeeps just started buying them because they had 4-doors.

And, for whatever it's worth, you should try driving an older Jeep like a CJ or older like a Willys - now that's some crazy loose steering or at least, by comparison to a JL.
I didn't plan to adjust the steering box. I know better than to just make a change without significant research. This is one reason I come here to post. You guys have some deep knowledge.

Are the steering components like the drag link and tie rod and steering stabilizer perfectly fine in stock form for now until they wear out? Or, is an upgrade something to consider with my lift and eventual 37s?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't plan to adjust the steering box. I know better than to just make a change without significant research. This is one reason I come here to post. You guys have some deep knowledge.

Are the steering components like the drag link and tie rod and steering stabilizer perfectly fine in stock form for now until they wear out? Or, is an upgrade something to consider with my lift and eventual 37s?
Oh yeah, they'll be fine until they wear out. While totally unnecessary, there are handling benefits to doing a track bar relocation/drag link flip with as much lift as you have. I personally don't feel a need to do that on my JL or JT but have done this on several of my JK's. If you don't have them already, installing adjustable control arms and adding a bit more positive caster will tighten things up a bit too and reduce any flightiness you might be feeling at highway speeds. Again, none of this necessary and I didn't mention it earlier because they didn't seem to be what you were feeling or wanting to address.

TerraJL

Oh yeah, they'll be fine until they wear out. While totally unnecessary, there are handling benefits to doing a track bar relocation/drag link flip with as much lift as you have. I personally don't feel a need to do that on my JL or JT but have done this on several of my JK's. If you don't have them already, installing adjustable control arms and adding a bit more positive caster will tighten things up a bit too and reduce any flightiness you might be feeling at highway speeds. Again, none of this necessary and I didn't mention it earlier because they didn't seem to be what you were feeling or wanting to address.
I already have adjustable control arms. I have the castor set to 6 degrees. I could have them adjusted more. But, it's ok for now. I will consider the drag link flip and track bar relocation at some point in the future.

TerraJL

Eddie, one last question, and btw, I don't like spending money if it's not necessary. So, please take this with a grain of salt when I ask about this part from SteerSmarts. I've seen some people post about this and was wondering if there was any merit to the part on a mostly stock JL with a mild lift? Is this "fixing" a problem that you don't have like some people like to do. I compared this to the Synergy brace and some prefer the SS to the Synergy. Thoughts? (I'm still learning)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, one last question, and btw, I don't like spending money if it's not necessary. So, please take this with a grain of salt when I ask about this part from SteerSmarts. I've seen some people post about this and was wondering if there was any merit to the part on a mostly stock JL with a mild lift? Is this "fixing" a problem that you don't have like some people like to do. I compared this to the Synergy brace and some prefer the SS to the Synergy. Thoughts? (I'm still learning)

First off, allow me to show you what the frame side track bar mount and sector shaft looks like on my Gladiator running 1-ton axles and 42" tires and with about 6" of lift.
20230328155935-5b6c1419.jpg

Do you see it? That should answer your question.

The SteerSmart brace is a near carbon copy of the Synergy brace and while both are nice, certainly, I've installed and tested the Synergy one but from extended experience testing out 3 personal JL's and now 2 JT's, I have to say that it's totally unnecessary.

Back in 2018, back when the JL first came out and with the POS aluminum steering box that caused all kinds of wobble issues, there was a legitimate need to do something about it. Since 2019, all JL's and JT's have been coming with the iron boxes and from what I have personally seen and experienced, these braces just aren't needed and really, won't do anything other than to lighten up your wallet. Again, they're nice but won't do anything to help what you're feeling with your steering.

To be clear, I would never pretend to know as much as what you can find on the internet and all I can do is share what I have personally seen and experienced.

On a final note, I am no fan of SteerSmarts and only because of how they behaved here on this forum.

TerraJL

First off, allow me to show you what the frame side track bar mount and sector shaft looks like on my Gladiator running 1-ton axles and 42" tires and with about 6" of lift.
20230328155935-5b6c1419.jpg

Do you see it? That should answer your question.

The SteerSmart brace is a near carbon copy of the Synergy brace and while both are nice, certainly, I've installed and tested the Synergy one but from extended experience testing out 3 personal JL's and now 2 JT's, I have to say that it's totally unnecessary.

Back in 2018, back when the JL first came out and with the POS aluminum steering box that caused all kinds of wobble issues, there was a legitimate need to do something about it. Since 2019, all JL's and JT's have been coming with the iron boxes and from what I have personally seen and experienced, these braces just aren't needed and really, won't do anything other than to lighten up your wallet. Again, they're nice but won't do anything to help what you're feeling with your steering.

On a final note, I am no fan of SteerSmarts and only because of how they behaved here on this forum.
Fair enough! I appreciate the reply. Good to know that they fixed it in 2019 with the iron box. Thanks for taking the time to explain these concepts. I appreciate it!

TerraJL

Well, I hope I've been able to be of some kind of help and if only to keep money in your pocket.
Thank you, Eddie. I appreciate the wisdom. I am used to the steering. It doesn't bother me. But, if it could have been improved upon reasonably, I was going to consider it. I will just work with what I have.

gary2

I did a couple things that tighten up things steering wise. Mine was not bad to begin with but I have always been kind of a stickler when it comes to steering and tracking . First thing I did after installing the MOPAR lift on my Gladiator was a pair of Rancho Geometry correction brackets and reinstalled the OE lower control arms . That gained me a little more caster than just the longer lower control arms that came with the lift kit. That made a big difference as far as tracking and much less steering correction required when driving on old roads and less effect from wind . Next I wanted to get rid of all of the clevite bushings in the track bar . I have always been a fan of Johnny Joints to accomplish this . So with that said I bought a Core4x4 Crawl model track bar . That removed the feeling you would have if you thought you actually had a steering box that was out of adjustment . Thats one reason I feel people are way to quick to adjust the preload on the steering gear . Alot of this is just things I have learned form many previous Jeeps . I am waiting on delivery on my Core4x4 lower control arms ,also Crawl model because of Johnny Joints on each end . I have found back in my TJ days that using arms with johnny joints on the lower control arms seems to hold the front axle in place better than any other bushings thus less steering wheel correction required when driving. I only use Johnny Joints in the lower arms . When the OE uppers wear out they will be replaced with Metal cloak arms with their duroflex bushings to keep things quiet and smooth riding . Those joints may be fine for lowers too but I know what has worked in the past and some things cost too much to experiment these days. First time I added Currie front lowers on a TJ I was amazed at what that did steering and tracking wise . I figured if two arms was good all 8 would be even better BUT too stiff and rough ...... I then replaced the upper joints with MC Duroflex and all was smooth and quiet again . Thats just my parts list that make my jeep steer good . I have not even touched the Drag link and Tie rod and won't until its needed as mine steers as good as I could ever want . When those items need replacing it will be Currie again just like the TJ's were. It may be more expensive than others but I stick with what has proven great in the past

Top Bottom