Shock Debate

deepwater

I think it needs to be pointed out that your coils will provide a majority of your ride quality and your shocks will assist them by dampening sudden harder hits. So, if you feel that your ride in general is harsh but soft on things like whoops, your problem isn't your shocks but rather, in your stiff springs. Of all the coils I've run, TF were some of the stiffest and EVO plush ride coils were by far the softest.

Interesting thought. I always felt that my ride was fairly soft and comfy (for solid axles) on the road and smoother dirt trails. My thinking is that by dampening the sudden harder hits they are transferring the force directly to the frame. During my trip to the Panamint Valley last week I was feeling every small rock on the trail much more so than normal even with the tires aired down as usual. It finally occurred to me that is was 40° out and the shock oil was thickened up and probably transferring the bumps more.
It's all so confusing. I don't have the money to experiment.

Mike

Gibbo

I dont hear much love for ome long travel shocks much more. Not sure why that is. I will say my buddy had the exact same lift as me, a rk 3.5. He was running 5100's and I have the ome's. My ride seemed to be more refined for lack of a better word and less harsh. Ive been very happy with them for last two years.

I have them with a OME 4.5" lift, and they seem to work good for me.

SoCalDozer

one of the options im considering right now is doing the 3" plush rides out back and coilovers up front with air/hydraulic bumps all the way around.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
one of the options im considering right now is doing the 3" plush rides out back and coilovers up front with air/hydraulic bumps all the way around.

LOL!! A lot of people do this now but, I can tell you that it didn't take long before they were wanting coil overs in the rear too :D

Atch

For the cost of the bumps you're looking at I'd get the rear coilovers and ditch the idea of your bumps & get a far less expensive set. After your bank account gets over the shock of buying the coilovers then get the bumps of your liking.

SoCalDozer

that might be worth it to just use the stock bumps with extensions and get rears when I get the fronts to I just have a full set up.
I was considering just doing it as soon as I got home but I think It might be more worthwhile to do a re gear and lockers first. but coilovers definitely has the really cool factor to it as well as functionality.

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
I think it needs to be pointed out that your coils will provide a majority of your ride quality and your shocks will assist them by dampening sudden harder hits. So, if you feel that your ride in general is harsh but soft on things like whoops, your problem isn't your shocks but rather, in your stiff springs. Of all the coils I've run, TF were some of the stiffest and EVO plush ride coils were by far the softest.

Debating new shocks with my stock springs and BB, want coil overs, but waiting to add to 4" enforcer, but for now (and since it is Shocktober for Rancho) would the 9000XL be an ideal choice to compromise the fact that I still have stock springs or am I just splitting hairs at this point? With the sale it looks like I'm within $50-$100 of these vs. 5100s or Fox 2.0

Flyer

From my experience- the 9000 XLs are decent shocks and can be adjusted to ride pretty soft (at the expense of high speed handling). The 5100s have good valving and are a bit stiffer but solid shocks. I found that they handle well at high speed (highway). I try not to go too fast offroad. I found them a bit stiff on a 2-door but they ride much better on a 4-door. I am running the 9000 XLs on my newer 4-door but have the 5100s in case I want to swap. Both are good choices. Maybe next year I'll go the coilover way since I find all these shocks a bit lacking in faster runs over washboard and rough forest roads, passes and dirt roads. Just need to ride in a coilover JKU first.

Top Bottom