Shocks squeaking??

allwhitejeeps

My rear shocks seem to be squeaking a lot while I'm driving. I don't know why they are doing that. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this or knows what to do to fix. I have fox 2.0 shocks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what kind of shocks do you have? Do they have polyurethane bushings and if so, are you sure you have the mounting bolts tightened to torque spec? If not, are you sure it's your shocks that are squeaking?

allwhitejeeps

I don't know if it is exactly the shocks that are squeaking but I'm assuming it is them because I hear the noise every time I press on the brakes which I think puts small amount of pressure on the shocks maybe?

WJCO

Meme King
Grab a helper to jump on the vehicle and rock it while you look for the noise. If it's a pretty constant noise, you should be able to find it quickly. Good luck.

allwhitejeeps

Ok. I'm going to buy some grease from autozone and put it on the bushings on the rear and see if that does the trick. I think when I went off-road some mud and dirt got in their and just dried it up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rubicon express

If I recall, they use polyurethane bushings. If that is correct, pull the crush sleeve and apply some white lithium grease to it and the bushing and then reinstall. If it's a rubber bushing - DO NOT grease it but rather, make sure that you tighten the bolt to torque spec or just a bit more. You do NOT want any movement here as the bushing is meant to twist - not rotate.

JakeJK

If I recall, they use polyurethane bushings. If that is correct, pull the crush sleeve and apply some white lithium grease to it and the bushing and then reinstall. If it's a rubber bushing - DO NOT grease it but rather, make sure that you tighten the bolt to torque spec or just a bit more. You do NOT want any movement here as the bushing is meant to twist - not rotate.

Does this apply to the RK track bar joint that is greasable?

finrodfelagund

Hey, I just took my Rubicon Express sway bar end links off, and they had worn out after 36k miles and made all sorts of noise. The front end quieted way down after I replaced them with the JKS quick disconnects. Not knocking on the RE links; I think they were just worn out! Also, totally right on the torque specs. They have put together a list of torque specs on the project JK website and it is really important to pay attention to this. For whatever reason, I have seen lots of people not pay attention here, and think impact wrenches are enough, or whatever, and have absolutely ridiculous things happen to them. Two weeks ago a friend of mine had his rear track bar fall off on hell's revenge. I asked him about torque and he said "oh I don't do that, my impact wrench is rated to 250 ft/lbs". I think it's not really the same, man. There was a guy on another jeep forum who had his wheels fall off after "driving in the sand". He was blaming his wheel spacers. Pay attention to torque specs!

Top Bottom