Should 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers be treated like 37"

jkrossi

I think OR-FAB is the way to go for me since I'm only going to run 33s plus the price is fair and I like the Gerry can mount placements. Or should I run 35s with a 2.5 BB Errr decisions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think OR-FAB is the way to go for me since I'm only going to run 33s plus the price is fair and I like the Gerry can mount placements. Or should I run 35s with a 2.5 BB Errr decisions

If you're even thinking about 35's, I would definitely go with them. I guarantee you that you will regret it if you don't :crazyeyes:

RamP

Yeah I second that. Run a BB with 35's. Then if you ever want to upgrade your suspension you already have the tires.
Just don't forget the wheel spacers if you go this route and are using stock wheels. If you get aftermarket wheels with the proper back spacing you won't need the spacers.

jkrossi

If you're even thinking about 35's, I would definitely go with them. I guarantee you that you will regret it if you don't :crazyeyes:

Auto trans, 4:10 gears, Dana 30 front /44 rear and not trying to regear due to my budget. I won't be disappointed with performance on and off the trail? My jeep won't fall on its face? And there is plenty of room for them with no fender mods at full articulation?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Auto trans, 4:10 gears, Dana 30 front /44 rear and not trying to regear due to my budget. I won't be disappointed with performance on and off the trail? My jeep won't fall on its face? And there is plenty of room for them with no fender mods at full articulation?

Being that you have 4.10's, I would definitely do 35's. You just need to make sure that you properly cailbrate your speedo with an AEV ProCal or the like and you will be fine. Yes, you will loose a little bit of power but, I think you find it acceptable. If you do run 2.5" of lift and don't want to do any fender mods, you may find it necessary to run a 1" body lift as well.

jkrossi

Yeah I second that. Run a BB with 35's. Then if you ever want to upgrade your suspension you already have the tires.
Just don't forget the wheel spacers if you go this route and are using stock wheels. If you get aftermarket wheels with the proper back spacing you won't need the spacers.

Yup wheel spacers, check. What about gas mileage? She's my daily driver. It won't be to bad will it? Lol

jkrossi

Fuck me.I'm supposed to working and i have been looking at jeep stuff and reading topics for the last 4 hrs. Damn anything to do with jeeps is addicting!!!!!

JAGS

Hooked
Being that you have 4.10's, I would definitely do 35's. You just need to make sure that you properly cailbrate your speedo with an AEV ProCal or the like and you will be fine. Yes, you will loose a little bit of power but, I think you find it acceptable. If you do run 2.5" of lift and don't want to do any fender mods, you may find it necessary to run a 1" body lift as well.

Did you run a 2.5 BB and 1 BL at any time WOL? Got any pics and is there any issue with DS or no...because the extra lift is just "body" and not changing geometry at all.

You also mention "or the like." Is there any other options for 2012 other than the AEV ProCal?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you run a 2.5 BB and 1 BL at any time WOL? Got any pics and is there any issue with DS or no...because the extra lift is just "body" and not changing geometry at all.

You also mention "or the like." Is there any other options for 2012 other than the AEV ProCal?

Not with a body lift but, here are a couple of shots of what our Jeep looked like running 35's on a 2.5" BB...

main.php

main.php

main.php

We have a manual so we never had any issues with the front DS. Being that you have a 12, you would need to run shock extenders or new shocks short enough to prevent DS damage. The body lift will give you more clearance between the tire and fender without having to effect anything else.

jkrossi

Only at a full flex and just a bit. I did have some minor rubbing at the rear pinch seam as well but cutting of the corner of it fixed that.

Ok cool. For 1 I'm not a fan of body lifts and I have to keep in mind the taller I go the harder it is to lift myself into my jeep from my wheelchair. I need that happy medium. Lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok cool. For 1 I'm not a fan of body lifts and I have to keep in mind the taller I go the harder it is to lift myself into my jeep from my wheelchair. I need that happy medium. Lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

What I can tell you is that not all 35" tires measure up the same. All come up short but some are considerably shorter. Of course, this is true of the metric equivalent as well. Depending on what you get, you may not have any issues running them.

RamP

Great advice all around and thanks for posting those pics. Is there any way to correct the factory rake after the BB is installed?

RamP

Not exactly but, what you can do is stack 1/2" spacers on top of your BB spacers up front. That will level you out. If you have a heavy bumper and winch, a 3/4" spacer might be what you want but really, I've never seen a need for anything more.
Never mind Eddie. You actually answered this question in a different thread. Lol
I'll try a search next time. Sorry.

1BAMFR

Unfortunately, there is a big difference between a "concept" that you might like and an idea that is actually good. This is not the later. The design of this tire carrier specifically require you to remove the rubber isolators from the tailgate and that leaves you with with nothing to prevent jiggling of the spare - this is the route cause of most tailgate and tire carrier breaks when carrying larger spares. Sure, you could keep one in place but that alone will not do the job. Sure, you could beef up the bracket but, the jiggling would still persist and will just cause a break in it's thin sub-standard metal elsewhere. There is a reason why "good" tire carriers transfer the weight of the spare onto the much stronger frame or spread the load over multiple points across the body. Aside from it being made in China, I've always questioned it's design as a whole and realized that I was right to do so last week. But hey, that's just me.

A simple wedge gusset wouldn't solve the root problem of the spare which will still be free to jiggle around.

Eddie, you know your shit...love reading all your posts, learning everyday about JK's.... u da man!

rsbmg

Banned
Interesting the Teraflex carrier failure. I would like to point out this is the only one I have ever heard of and there is a WHOLE LOT of great reviews from people running this carrier, with no reported jiggling up to a 38'' tire even though its rated for a 37. 1 bad report out of 100's isn't bad. I have not run it personally but if you read its overwhelming positive. Wonder if perhaps this is a new switch to china manufacturing and quality has suffered or if its just an anonymously.

Speaking of quality, I just got my evo rear shackle mounts, meh, expected a better fit. Should have been designed with a lip on the outside or a "cap" would have been a much cleaner look. Oh well, it is what it is.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Interesting the Teraflex carrier failure. I would like to point out this is the only one I have ever heard of and there is a WHOLE LOT of great reviews from people running this carrier, with no reported jiggling up to a 38'' tire even though its rated for a 37. 1 bad report out of 100's isn't bad. I have not run it personally but if you read its overwhelming positive. Wonder if perhaps this is a new switch to china manufacturing and quality has suffered or if its just an anonymously.

It's designed for a bigger tire then a 37" which is what was on it when it broke.

Speaking of quality, I just got my evo rear shackle mounts, meh, expected a better fit. Should have been designed with a lip on the outside or a "cap" would have been a much cleaner look. Oh well, it is what it is.

All the rear sections of the JK frames are different, there is no way to get everyone to fit the same. You just need to trim the frame a little for the "clean" look.

And to top it off your in the wrong thread. lol

rsbmg

Banned
The description clearly states:

The TeraFlex Heavy Duty Adjustable Tire Carrier & Tailgate Reinforcement Kit is designed to carry up to a 37" tire over the most extreme trails and obstacles, and provide easy and immediate access to the rear cargo area with a single action. The reinforcement Kit spreads the load and weight of the tire to more than just one hinge point. Incorporating and using the factory tailgate hinge mounting points spread and separate the load as far apart as possible, resulting in maximum strength and durability.

So if it had a bigger tire on there and it damaged it why bash teraflex? Or are you saying it only had a 37 on it when it broke? Either way this is the only negative I have ever seen I would still buy it. As for the shackles I understand there are differences among vehicles but nothing so great that a design change couldnt account for. The trimming has nothing to do with the opening size. Not saying I don't like the product, clearly I ordered it, just saying I had higher hopes, no biggie.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The description clearly states:

The TeraFlex Heavy Duty Adjustable Tire Carrier & Tailgate Reinforcement Kit is designed to carry up to a 37" tire over the most extreme trails and obstacles, and provide easy and immediate access to the rear cargo area with a single action. The reinforcement Kit spreads the load and weight of the tire to more than just one hinge point. Incorporating and using the factory tailgate hinge mounting points spread and separate the load as far apart as possible, resulting in maximum strength and durability.

So if it had a bigger tire on there and it damaged it why bash teraflex? Or are you saying it only had a 37 on it when it broke? Either way this is the only negative I have ever seen I would still buy it. As for the shackles I understand there are differences among vehicles but nothing so great that a design change couldnt account for. The trimming has nothing to do with the opening size. Not saying I don't like the product, clearly I ordered it, just saying I had higher hopes, no biggie.

Correct on both accounts. I thought I read originally when it came out it was good for a 40" but it is only good up to a 37". And yes it was running a 37" when it broke.

Top Bottom