Show Off Your Guns!

gyoja75

Advice needed. I'm sure some of you guys know.

I've convinced my wife I needed a handgun for when we travel to bear & moose country. Of course, I would have bear spray, too.

I'm looking at a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, or a S&W in .460, which also fires .454. Anyone shot either? From Youtube, it looks like the .460 may have less felt recoil with .454 rounds, since it has a compensated barrel. I'm accustomed to firearms, but if you can minimize recoil, I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The recoil is manageable, with practice. Your first shot will most likely be a panic shot, so make sure you can get a second round on target. I will always recommend renting one on a range first. For me, I prefer a guide gun in 45-70.

"Sua Sponte"

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

I've convinced my wife I needed a handgun for when we travel to bear & moose country. Of course, I would have bear spray, too.

I'm looking at a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull, or a S&W in .460, which also fires .454. Anyone shot either? From Youtube, it looks like the .460 may have less felt recoil with .454 rounds, since it has a compensated barrel. I'm accustomed to firearms, but if you can minimize recoil, I'm all for it.

I've shot the 460 and it was definitely a hand cannon but manageable as stated. Never shot 454 rounds out of it but I'm sure would be even more manageable. When we're in the Alaskan bush I carry a 357 mag but we always have someone with 12ga slugs. In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, the 12ga slugs are a much better choice. Something to think about unless you're only thinking handgun.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The recoil is manageable, with practice. Your first shot will most likely be a panic shot, so make sure you can get a second round on target. I will always recommend renting one on a range first. For me, I prefer a guide gun in 45-70.

"Sua Sponte"

I've shot the 460 and it was definitely a hand cannon but manageable as stated. Never shot 454 rounds out of it but I'm sure would be even more manageable. When we're in the Alaskan bush I carry a 357 mag but we always have someone with 12ga slugs. In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, the 12ga slugs are a much better choice. Something to think about unless you're only thinking handgun.

Thanks. I'm good in the long gun area. Just gathering info on the handgun.

Brute

Hooked

I've thought about this as well...and double duty as a home protection weapon...I've decided on either a Mossberg 500 tactical or a Benelli M4 12 gauge with slugs...

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think the Judge is .45 Colt or .410 shot...I've also considered this as well

The .460 Smith & Wesson fires .45 Long Colt, & .454 Casull, also. The .454 Casull fires .45 Long Colt, also. There is about a $400 difference in the two handguns. I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the .460, when the .454 will undoubtedly get the job done. A big difference, is that the S&W barrel is recoil compensated. Big boom. I've seen videos, and both look manageable, if you are experienced with firearms.

Brute

Hooked
The .460 Smith & Wesson fires .45 Long Colt, & .454 Casull, also. The .454 Casull fires .45 Long Colt, also. There is about a $400 difference in the two handguns. I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for the .460, when the .454 will undoubtedly get the job done. A big difference, is that the S&W barrel is recoil compensated. Big boom. I've seen videos, and both look manageable, if you are experienced with firearms.

Isn't the .454 Casull the last revolver used by Dirty Harry?

10abadilla/jk

I don't know anything about guns, but I like old ones. 😂 What is this one? Looks beautiful. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
It's a black powder cap and ball. Not sure of the model. It is made in Italy so I'm pretty sure it may be a replica. I got it for a really good deal so I could not pass up. I still need to do some research but it is in really good condition. I love old western guns. I've Always wanted a cowboy revolver.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's a black powder cap and ball. Not sure of the model. It is made in Italy so I'm pretty sure it may be a replica. I got it for a really good deal so I could not pass up. I still need to do some research but it is in really good condition. I love old western guns. I've Always wanted a cowboy revolver.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

looks like an 1860 Navy/Army Colt

the Raging Judge will fire .454 Casull, .45 Colt, and .410 Shot or slug. The S&W Governor will fire .45 acp, .45 Colt, and .410 Shot or Slug. I have never shot the Governor but I prefer .45 colt out of the Judge as the grip is so small it is hard to stop it from pivoting in my hands with the .410

Top Bottom