Show your Knives!

Both. 🤷🏻‍♂️

what do you guys use to clean the blades? I’ve got a cobra tech with the d2 steel blade that gets rust spots when wet. Guessing a microfiber and wd40 or something similar ?

Maybe not the best but works for me. Regardless of edc or kitchen knives. Ghetto throw aways to the top shelf. I wash with soap/water and sponge. Dry with a towel. Then let air dry some more (if it’s a folder). Before putting away or back in my pocket I’ll wipe the blade with a paper towel that has a drop or two of cooking oil on it.

Maybe not the best but works for me. Regardless of edc or kitchen knives. Ghetto throw aways to the top shelf. I wash with soap/water and sponge. Dry with a towel. Then let air dry some more (if it’s a folder). Before putting away or back in my pocket I’ll wipe the blade with a paper towel that has a drop or two of cooking oil on it.
Will give it a try. Never had issues with previous cheapy knives, but now that I spent a little bit of money I’m not impressed by how much maintenance it takes and how small amount of water like using it to cut something from the garden how fast it messes up the blade.

CalSgt

Hooked
Will give it a try. Never had issues with previous cheapy knives, but now that I spent a little bit of money I’m not impressed by how much maintenance it takes and how small amount of water like using it to cut something from the garden how fast it messes up the blade.
D2 steel is semi stainless and requires a little maintenance to prevent rust but holds an edge great, if it bothers you next time get S30V or 154CM which are good quality stainless steels.

I throw my D2 folder in the dishwasher then put a small drop of gun oil in the hinge wipe the edge and dry up any excess with a paper towel but I don't use it on food. HighwayTrout's idea of cooking oil sounds more food safe.

The cheaper knives usually have some low grade stainless for a blade that doesn't rust easily but also doesn't hold an edge.

Ddays

Hooked
D2 steel is semi stainless and requires a little maintenance to prevent rust but holds an edge great, if it bothers you next time get S30V or 154CM which are good quality stainless steels.

I throw my D2 folder in the dishwasher then put a small drop of gun oil in the hinge wipe the edge and dry up any excess with a paper towel but I don't use it on food. HighwayTrout's idea of cooking oil sounds more food safe.

The cheaper knives usually have some low grade stainless for a blade that doesn't rust easily but also doesn't hold an edge.

Seems like there are 5000 kinds of steel used in knife blades anymore. Lol, my buddy is a walking encyclopedia with this shit. I can tell him a knife I bought and he's like, " Oh, that's an un-obtanium non-ferric super austenitic blade" explanation that makes my eyes roll back into my head.

Still, it's nice to check the blade steel before you buy a knife just so you know how much care it will require. This is a nice guide from one of the companies I buy from

CalSgt

Hooked
Seems like there are 5000 kinds of steel used in knife blades anymore. Lol, my buddy is a walking encyclopedia with this shit. I can tell him a knife I bought and he's like, " Oh, that's an un-obtanium non-ferric super austenitic blade" explanation that makes my eyes roll back into my head.

Still, it's nice to check the blade steel before you buy a knife just so you know how much care it will require. This is a nice guide from one of the companies I buy from

LOL... I work with that guy too. The only three I know are the D2, 154CM, and S30V only because those are on knives I bought

TrailHunter

Hooked
Both. 🤷🏻‍♂️

what do you guys use to clean the blades? I’ve got a cobra tech with the d2 steel blade that gets rust spots when wet. Guessing a microfiber and wd40 or something similar ?
For years I’ve used Frog Lube, on all my knives and Firearms... seems to work great.. it’s non toxic, and food grade... in case you want to eat with your blades or off your Glock. 🤷🏽‍♂️

For years I’ve used Frog Lube, on all my knives and Firearms... seems to work great.. it’s non toxic, and food grade... in case you want to eat with your blades or off your Glock. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Haven't tried that on knives, but I wouldn't ever use that on a firearm again, gums up in my experience. Glad you've had better luck but I threw the rest of that bottle in the trash.

Top Bottom