Shower Thoughts

GP NOIR

Hooked
I remember when it was just four wheeling or Jeeping. Nobody cared if it was exploring a backwoods trail, following a desert two track, bombing across sand, bouncing off boulders or trying to conquer a mud hole and at the end of the day, everyone drove their rigs to a flat spot to camp for the night.

I guess it didn’t take too long before four wheeling split off into everyone’s favorite off-road activity. People started building dune buggies, sand trails, mud boogers, rock crawlers and for general do everything rigs, strapping a couple of Jerry cans and a spare on a stock 4x4.

Now, even more specialties have been added, such as rock buggies, monster trucks, truggies, rock bouncers (l know there are a lot more) and more recently, overlanders. Variety is the spice of life and it’s interesting to see what form vehicles in each category takes as people push them to the limits.

The latest I’ve come across is “Ultimate Adventure” (currently being promoted by On-x) that some have already dubbed “Rocklanding” which is obviously the combination of rock crawling and overlanding.

This is the direction I’m taking with my Wrangler, something I can rock crawl in and carry my admittedly sparse camping gear. My first “big trip” was “rocklanding” from Kansas to Colorado to Moab. I did a lot “rocklanding” back in the 90s in my lifted XJ. I’m sure many on this forum have been doing the same thing for many years. I’m a bit surprised to learn it is its own specialty.

It’s cool to see new categories developing. They help grow the community and sell a lot of accessories and I’m curious to see how rocklanders evolve.

I guess the way I use my Jeep puts me in the rocklander category. I guess it would also make me a “sandlander”, a “mudlander”, and a “snowlander” as well. I suppose that’s not a bad thing. A body likes to know he belongs.

But a part of me misses the old days when we’d simply pack our Jeeps for the weekend and go wheeling.

JessL

Caught the Bug
I remember when it was just four wheeling or Jeeping. Nobody cared if it was exploring a backwoods trail, following a desert two track, bombing across sand, bouncing off boulders or trying to conquer a mud hole and at the end of the day, everyone drove their rigs to a flat spot to camp for the night.

I guess it didn’t take too long before four wheeling split off into everyone’s favorite off-road activity. People started building dune buggies, sand trails, mud boogers, rock crawlers and for general do everything rigs, strapping a couple of Jerry cans and a spare on a stock 4x4.

Now, even more specialties have been added, such as rock buggies, monster trucks, truggies, rock bouncers (l know there are a lot more) and more recently, overlanders. Variety is the spice of life and it’s interesting to see what form vehicles in each category takes as people push them to the limits.

The latest I’ve come across is “Ultimate Adventure” (currently being promoted by On-x) that some have already dubbed “Rocklanding” which is obviously the combination of rock crawling and overlanding.

This is the direction I’m taking with my Wrangler, something I can rock crawl in and carry my admittedly sparse camping gear. My first “big trip” was “rocklanding” from Kansas to Colorado to Moab. I did a lot “rocklanding” back in the 90s in my lifted XJ. I’m sure many on this forum have been doing the same thing for many years. I’m a bit surprised to learn it is its own specialty.

It’s cool to see new categories developing. They help grow the community and sell a lot of accessories and I’m curious to see how rocklanders evolve.

I guess the way I use my Jeep puts me in the rocklander category. I guess it would also make me a “sandlander”, a “mudlander”, and a “snowlander” as well. I suppose that’s not a bad thing. A body likes to know he belongs.

But a part of me misses the old days when we’d simply pack our Jeeps for the weekend and go wheeling.
So is Overlanding the CrossFit of Off-Roading?

1680537349848.png

JessL

Caught the Bug
That's a big negative. I'm sorry but adults shouldn't wear kids shoes...haha. I'll stick to my rainbow or sanook flip flops for slip on convenience you’re doomed to have “inside” and “outside” crocks.
Denial is the sure-fire sign that they are coming. I swore I would never own a minivan, but time and 5 kids changes things. There has been a van next to the jeeps in our driveway for years now…
Let us know when you find yourself in a comfy pair of Crocks for geezer scooting around the house. 🤣

Top Bottom