Shrockworks or LOD Sliders

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Since I will be doing the install of whatever new plate was sent out to my buddy, I will take pictures of the setup, the failure, and the new plate (or whatever it is).

I will also get some direct quotes from him as to what was said. Regardless, I did not make this story up or embellish it in any way. I have absolutely zero reason to do so and neither does my buddy. I should have saved some of the texts from the day of the call because I was nothing short of blown away. The ONLY reason I have sat on this is we were waiting to see if a replacement plate ever showed up.

CJW

Since I will be doing the install of whatever new plate was sent out to my buddy, I will take pictures of the setup, the failure, and the new plate (or whatever it is).

I will also get some direct quotes from him as to what was said. Regardless, I did not make this story up or embellish it in any way. I have absolutely zero reason to do so and neither does my buddy. I should have saved some of the texts from the day of the call because I was nothing short of blown away. The ONLY reason I have sat on this is we were waiting to see if a replacement plate ever showed up.

I'd appreciate you providing pics and intel on what you find and what you've had to deal with! Thanks for that! Until you get the pictures of the failure can you explain what happened to the sliders?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Does anyone have experience with either while running long arms? It looks like the LOD's rear most mount would clear the rear long arm mounts. Shrockworks seem to mount farther back which I'm guessing would interfere with LA's. I don't have LA's at the moment...just a thought about future compatibility.

No issues.

Attachments

• 1469668009976.jpg
    1469668009976.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 152

ROBnTANK

I have bought a few LOD products, 2 front bumpers, 2 rear bumpers, and sliders. Their products are rock solid. I would recommend them to anyone. I had a problem once when my front bumper showed up damaged. I called LOD and they mailed out a new one ASAP. They even threw in a trail rack for the inconvenience. I now have a new jeep and when my build starts I will definitely go with them again.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I've had the ShrockWorks sliders, mid width bumper and rear bumper/tire carrier for three years. No issues with them in anyway and they are incredibly tough. Two of the three years in New England and no rust at all with their powder coating.

The only draw back was the 4-7 month wait period from ordering to delivery... You do pay for the quality too. They are a bit more expensive, but you only pay for them once.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'd appreciate you providing pics and intel on what you find and what you've had to deal with! Thanks for that! Until you get the pictures of the failure can you explain what happened to the sliders?

Nothing is wrong with the sliders. Sorry if my post wasn't clear. The issue related solely to the bumper and how it was handled. His sliders have been great.

qwasin

Sure.

In a nutshell, on the pre-2014 bumpers the plate that keeps the carrier from swinging all the way open was made out of thin metal (LoD apparently changed the design sometime after late 2013). Over time, the thin metal loses its strength and breaks. The result of the break is that the carrier swings all the way around the body and your spare tire crushes in the side of your Jeep. Apparently, this was a known issue because (1) the design has changed and (2) I found out after the fact that it was so common, the quiet recommendation was to drill a hole in the bumper so the swing arm pin would engage the actual bumper instead of just the POS plate.

Fast forward. My buddy's plate broke in his driveway, the carrier swung around and crushed in the rear, passenger side of his Jeep. I was able to do some body work and get about 80% of the damage out. Obviously though, without some fix to the carrier, it was going to just keep happening since there was no longer a way to lock the gate open. That's when we realized LoD had changed the plate design. My buddy called LoD...not to try to get the body damage fixed or to raise any hell, but just to see if he could get the new, updated plate so his gate would work properly and safely.

The interaction from there was unbelievable. In an expletive-filled tirade, Chris conceded that the break was pretty common and that the design was changed but he actually had the gall to say that the breaks occur from people putting too much weight on the carrier and then slamming the carrier open when parked on hills. Keep in mind, my buddy runs 35" tires, no trail rack, no gas cans, and no hi-lift jack. The ONLY thing that has ever been on his carrier is the 35" tire, and the break happened in his driveway which has only a slight incline. Seriously, Chris went after my buddy like he had intentionally done something stupid or otherwise tried to break the carrier. It was ridiculous to the point that my buddy called me up to say that he couldn't believe I recommended he buy LoD products (by the way, he is running front and rear LoD bumpers and LoD sliders...all on my recommendation and I did the install on everything so I know it was done correctly). My buddy finally just said he would call the vendor and address the issue with them. Apparently, Chris called back later and offered to send out the new plate, but his demeanor had not changed at all. This all transpired months ago. The plate finally showed up this week.

Maybe I have a skewed view of the world, but when someone spends thousands of dollars buying your products you probably should not blast the hell out of them when they call for a little reasonable help related to a known product deficiency. That is how TeraFlex does business and I expect more out of LoD.

Thanks for the info sharkey. I have the gen 4 version but even still, I'm in the habit of hand guiding the carrier into the lock. Maybe lod can chime in with whether or not they intended you to be able to give the carrier a push and have it catch the lock while moving. Because just from the looks of it, that's not something I would do. However I didn't recall seeing that advised against in the installation instructions. Also I'm not saying that's what your buddy did, I'm just making a general observation.

qwasin

Which ones are those? The ones with the design they stole from EVO or Poison Spider?

Anyway, thank you for the informative post in the thread asking for opinions on either LoD or Shrockwork sliders. :thumb: :crazyeyes:

lol wow, I wasn't aware of that company, but yea their entire catalog is knocked off...

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Yeah I'm with you! No wonder no ones chiming in, they're still waiting for their order to arrive

Here were my "wait times"...each were at least double the stated estimated delivery:
Sliders - 4 months (quoted 6 weeks)
Mid width front bumper - 6 months (quoted 2 months)
Rear bumper with carrier - 7.5 months (quoted 2 months)

The quality is superior and design is versatile if you are willing to wait.

Sullivan

Here were my "wait times"...each were at least double the stated estimated delivery:
Sliders - 4 months (quoted 6 weeks)
Mid width front bumper - 6 months (quoted 2 months)
Rear bumper with carrier - 7.5 months (quoted 2 months)

The quality is superior and design is versatile if you are willing to wait.

Hell no! Nothing in this country takes 7.5 months to make. If that's not red flag about crappy service, then I don't know what is.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
The quality and design must be fucking amazing to still be in business after pulling that shit! 7.5 months is too long for a 100 bumpers and tyre carriers let alone 1 set

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I would say it isn't the customer service, more of a back log of orders and not having the ability to increase their through put. I was on the phone with them a lot during those timeframes. They are good guys, but do a poor job of estimating when a product will be ready. They do not have stock sitting on the sleeves. They make everything per order (at least back in the 2011/2012 timeframe).

Sullivan

I would say it isn't the customer service, more of a back log of orders and not having the ability to increase their through put. I was on the phone with them a lot during those timeframes. They are good guys, but do a poor job of estimating when a product will be ready. They do not have stock sitting on the sleeves. They make everything per order (at least back in the 2011/2012 timeframe).

Yeah that would be bad customer service.
Now I understand that they are try to make a quality product, but again, nothing takes 7.5 months. I can build a whole damn block of homes in 7.5 months. That's just them being lazy or not having priorities straight.

Top Bottom