Sierra Trek Registration

RSQCON

The screen shot of the CHP CAD screen says winch hill #2. I just got off Fordyce a couple days ago and that trail makes the Rubicon seem tame. Not much going on at winch hill #2 other than at the very top there is a ledge you can climb that's undercut pretty good so we stayed to the right and came up along the tree roots. Was pretty straight forward however if you take that right line and slide too far left it would not be pretty. If you fast forward to 9:14 of the clip you'll see the line Eddie takes which is the one I am referring to. Not sure when he ran the trail but that ledge is bigger now and very slick.

Ruvicon

Phillip (Buster3479), Jim (Astroman) and I ran Fordyce today (Thursday) and were about 7+ miles into it and just below Winch Hill #1 when we heard that a bad rollover had occurred. They stopped us as we were near the front of the groups to allow the Medic Jeep to pass us. Details are sketchy, but it appears that a club volunteer working above Winch Hill #2 went to move his Jeep 10’ and didn’t fasten his seatbelt, then rolled off a ledge and was fatally injured. The mood turned somber quickly. After a 30m delay, they shut the run down and turned us all around to go backwards to the beginning of the run. Very sad outcome. My sympathies go out to his family and club members who must be devastated...

Looks like they have cancelled Friday’s Fordyce run and are offering an alternate run, but no clue what that may be. No one had much information to offer when by the time we left.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Brute

Hooked
It is always a sad day for the off road community when a fatality occurs...just a small lapse in attention can lead to such a catastrophic result. My sympathies to his family and friends...

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Very sad. If what Ruvicon heard is true, just goes to show how the simplest task can become deadly on the trail of not given your full attention.
Stay safe out there everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

What a sad day indeed.

As said above, one moment of inattention can lead to a tragic outcome.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Top Bottom