Sleeve or Chromoly shafts?

Hi Eddie!

Would you happen to know if the 4.10 would be enough for 35's but on a diesel engine (not saying with 0 power loss but minor to non detectable for the average driver)? the 2.8 l one that is for europe... I guess the torque being different, right? Just to be sure... :)

Thanks!

Not an expert but I'm sure you will be fine! I'm going to go to 35's or 37's this summer and Ima keep my 4:10 gears and I have the 3.8

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie!

Would you happen to know if the 4.10 would be enough for 35's but on a diesel engine (not saying with 0 power loss but minor to non detectable for the average driver)? the 2.8 l one that is for europe... I guess the torque being different, right? Just to be sure... :)

Thanks!

It would be hard for me to say for sure being that I have no experience with a 2.8L CRD but, I would imagine you'd be fine. Either way, I would try it first and decide if you need to regear AFTER.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Being that you have a 2012, yeah, I would think that 4.10's would be all that you need but, while you're at it, 4.56 would be a better way to go for 35's. Having said that, I just want to make sure that you are aware that any time someone like me refers to tire size, the ONLY thing we're referring to is what is written on the sidewall and NOT, what the actual measurement is. The only time "actual" tire measurement matters is when you're calibrating your speedo - that's it. So, having said that, are the tires you're looking at an advertised 35 (most measure about 33" or so) or a size taller that has an actual measurement closer to 34?

Whoa, wait a minute, I don't ever recall giving praise to the Eaton E-Locker, a True-Trac limited slip yes but not a locker.

I believe the tires I'm looking at (315 duratracs for 16" wheels) measure 34.3"

As for the eatons, I read this and it sounded to me like the d30 versions were 4 spider units and were quality and strong (the d44 have issues being 2 spider gears).....unless I'm misreading something?
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/dynatrac-presents-lockers-101

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the tires I'm looking at (315 duratracs for 16" wheels) measure 34.3"

Okay, 315's are typically seen as 35" tires.

As for the eatons, I read this and it sounded to me like the d30 versions were 4 spider units and were quality and strong (the d44 have issues being 2 spider gears).....unless I'm misreading something?
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/dynatrac-presents-lockers-101

Ah, got it. That article was written by Scott Frary, a former Dynatrac sales rep who also used to work for Eaton. I should note that he now works for ARB and, if I could guess, would sing a slightly different tune regarding what locker to get :D

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Okay, 315's are typically seen as 35" tires.

Ah, got it. That article was written by Scott Frary, a former Dynatrac sales rep who also used to work for Eaton. I should note that he now works for ARB and, if I could guess, would sing a slightly different tune regarding what locker to get :D

Haha, gotcha. Thanks for the clarifications, and apologies for putting words in your mouth. :thumb:

Top Bottom