Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So basically what you'll have left is the normal part you can see im the middle?

So you're saying at that if you cut it into 4-10oz steaks you could sell them at a restaurant for at least $50 a plate?...haha. You'd double your money.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

The one on the left was trimmed already.

And could probably sell for more. It was pasture raised, no grain, organic, non gmo ribeye. So it was already more expensive than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

New thing I read about butter aging instead of dry aging. You coat the entire piece in like 1/2+ of cold butter then leave it open no bag for the same process, but apparently it becomes far juicier and you lose less because you don’t have to trim as much.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrailHunter

Hooked
For the past few years I’ve been smoking a Turkey on my Louisiana Pellet Grill... but I’ve been contemplating deep frying this year... is it really worth the $200 in crap I gotta buy to do it? Anyone done both and can honestly say Deep frying is better?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
For the past few years I’ve been smoking a Turkey on my Louisiana Pellet Grill... but I’ve been contemplating deep frying this year... is it really worth the $200 in crap I gotta buy to do it? Anyone done both and can honestly say Deep frying is better?

I've had smoked and fried turkey. Haven't smoked or fried either personally. But I hands down would take a smoked turkey over fried any day.

JAGS

Hooked

I’ve had fried turkey before. It’s good. But honestly, a well brined and basted bird with the right rubs/herbs is a classic for me. My personal go to is a basket weave of bacon laid on top of the bird with herbs underneath as it cooks. I just got a smoker, so I have had smoked bird yet, but it has to be good and so much more flavor than a peanut deep fry???

Brute

Hooked
I’ve done my turkey in an imu for the several decades...but now that I’m a mainlander, I’m going to do a more traditional style of turkey next Thursday...even though it’s just me & the wife. I might just end up braising a couple turkey legs instead of Roasting a whole bird

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've had smoked and fried turkey. Haven't smoked or fried either personally. But I hands down would take a smoked turkey over fried any day.

Good to know! Thanks

I’ve had fried turkey before. It’s good. But honestly, a well brined and basted bird with the right rubs/herbs is a classic for me. My personal go to is a basket weave of bacon laid on top of the bird with herbs underneath as it cooks. I just got a smoker, so I have had smoked bird yet, but it has to be good and so much more flavor than a peanut deep fry???

It’s good smoked for sure... I Brined one year.. hated it. Now I just Inject with a butter, Chicken broth & spice mix and a good exterior Spice Rub... Another mistake I made one year was placing it on a foil pan to catch the juices... It ruined the bottom of the turkey and cooked it way too slow. Now I just place it right on the Grill.

That bacon topper sounds Delicious!

I’ve done my turkey in an imu for the several decades...but now that I’m a mainlander, I’m going to do a more traditional style of turkey next Thursday...even though it’s just me & the wife. I might just end up braising a couple turkey legs instead of Roasting a whole bird

One year my parents were sick so last minute we took the kids to Disneyland on Thanksgiving day.. We ate those huge turkey legs they sell at the stands... It was awesome.

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug

When I cook thanksgiving meals for the family I usually make a huge bird, way more than we can eat. I pull the leftover meat and then make turkey noodle soup with it.

Edit: I'll usually make extra ham to freeze for ham and beans a few weeks after thanksgiving also.

Last edited:
My dad fries a bird. I spatchcock and cook on the grill. The debate still runs strong who makes the better bird. I don’t care for fried turkey personally.

Brute

Hooked

My dad used to drape bacon on our canadiens (geese, that is) when he roasted them in the oven when I was a kid...I completely forgot about that, I may have to try it on a turkey some day...

Top Bottom