Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

Well i had a coworker talking about spatchcock and explained what ot was. How'd yours turn out? Time wise how long does that take compared to leaving it whole and intact?

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wife said it was the best one yet. I only spatchcock the birds. Chickens, turkeys, ducks. Cooks even’er (lol) with it all flattened out. This was a smallish turkey around 12 pounds. With the back cut out and all trimmed up it was probably only 10ish lbs. Time wise they cook very fast and you don’t have to worry as much about drying out the tits.
This went about an hour and a half to get up to temp.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Wife said it was the best one yet. I only spatchcock the birds. Chickens, turkeys, ducks. Cooks even’er (lol) with it all flattened out. This was a smallish turkey around 12 pounds. With the back cut out and all trimmed up it was probably only 10ish lbs. Time wise they cook very fast and you don’t have to worry as much about drying out the tits.
This went about an hour and a half to get up to temp.

I'm doing this next time....

JAGS

Hooked
IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1112.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

Wife had to work a shift thanksgiving, so I had a lot to do. My son said I clutched it, which is a good thing for those without teenagers. Have to say, the brine, and spatchcock and bacon made for a damn good bird. Fixings were on point.

Edit: my bad, not the cooking thread. Technically this bird was not smoked.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sous vide one and just grilled the other. I don’t know. Not sure I’m sold on it. I’ll probably try the dry age thing again with another cut but this was just okay. My guests liked it but it didn’t do it for me.

IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
First smoke.....

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

Couple small tenderloins I already had on hand. Super juicy and great flavor. Will need to get used to the cook temp to cook time alignment. Way different than grilling.

TrailHunter

Hooked
First smoke.....

View attachment 356232

View attachment 356233

Couple small tenderloins I already had on hand. Super juicy and great flavor. Will need to get used to the cook temp to cook time alignment. Way different than grilling.

Took me a few runs to figure mine out... what size RT did you get... back when I was shopping they only had Massive & Small.. so I went with a Louisiana 700... now they have more options. I really wanted the all stainless construction.

JAGS

Hooked
Took me a few runs to figure mine out... what size RT did you get... back when I was shopping they only had Massive & Small.. so I went with a Louisiana 700... now they have more options. I really wanted the all stainless construction.

I went with the 590. I think it will do the job 99% of the time for what the fam eats. The construction is solid and the Bluetooth app interface is pretty awesome.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I went with the 590. I think it will do the job 99% of the time for what the fam eats. The construction is solid and the Bluetooth app interface is pretty awesome.

Nice! That's the one I want! Fingers are crossed mine breaks. lol

Top Bottom