Smoking Meat -- Tips, Opinions, Recipes

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I use butcher paper for dang near everything. I’m not sure about parchment or freezer paper cause of the wax.

Parchment paper has no wax and is frequently used in the oven because of this...

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I always thought parchment was treated with some type of wax or nonstick stuff. My wife uses it all the time baking.

I use butcher paper as well. Parchment will work it’s just thinner than butcher paper.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
The one I grabbed, no store had it locally under $30.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCCQ9K4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXS6X57ZX5QAEDQYDAD
Something about the breathability is different from parchment, and it’s way thicker. Mine goes on tomorrow for a slow all day smoke if weather holds.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Yeah I just bought some on here too. I got the 24" width. I also got some BBQ gloves. Trying to pull a pork butt off would have been easier of I could have just grabbed with my hands.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
The one I grabbed, no store had it locally under $30.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XCCQ9K4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FXS6X57ZX5QAEDQYDAD
Something about the breathability is different from parchment, and it’s way thicker. Mine goes on tomorrow for a slow all day smoke if weather holds.

Parchment doesn’t breathe...that’s why it’s good to wrap fish in it. I’ll get some butcher paper and give it a try...my last attempt was with foil

desertrunner

Well my first brisket was a dud. Flavor was good but it was tough and kinda dry. It came up to 165 pretty fast but when I wrapped it it hung out at 185 for hours and never moved. I don't think it was a super high quality brisket but gotta change something if I do it again

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well my first brisket was a dud. Flavor was good but it was tough and kinda dry. It came up to 165 pretty fast but when I wrapped it it hung out at 185 for hours and never moved. I don't think it was a super high quality brisket but gotta change something if I do it again

How much did you trim it

desertrunner

Did you pull it at 185?

No but I had an impatient wife and guests that wanted to eat so I turned the heat up to 280 so it would finish, I pulled it at 203. So I think a combo of the higher heat and not letting it rest as long as a wanted didn't help.
How much did you trim it

It was a really small brisket 6lbs so not a whole lot but honestly thinking I shouldn't have trimmed at all based on the spots that were still juicy

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don’t think the temperature has anything to do with it. I usually o 275-300 and don’t have issues. I would also recommend forgetting all these “numbers” that everyone talks about. Let the meat tell you when it’s ready.

7 hours on smoker, wrapped, finished 2 hours in oven (got too windy here hard to maintain temp) rested a half hour that could’ve obviously been longer. First one ever I’m very happy, good bark, very moist, good smoke, learned a few things for next time. Tasty.
IMG_1945.jpg

What temp did you wrap it?

Somewhere around 150-165 I believe . Was more worried at the time about smoker temp with whatever winter storm advisory landed and was watching the temp fluctuate 50 degrees with the wind whipping. Cheap smoker haha. Bark looked good, had a great smell, decided good enough and finished inside. Also first time using a spray bottle, filled with apple juice, a few sprays every time the lids off kept it nice and shiny.

Did some wings on the traeger last night.

Brine 24hr in brown sugar, salt, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes.

Dry rub was brown sugar, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and a bunch of the traeger veggie rub.

90 mins at 260 then 5 mins each side at 450 to crisp the skin.

Wife also made a soy sauce, honey, siracha sauce to go with it. View attachment 360212

This was awesome. Good tip[emoji106] IMG_2822.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Hot smoked salmon on the Camp Chef. View attachment 360667

Looks good.

I did that on mine too. Wife and I didn't care for it as much and regular ol grilled salmon. May have been the rub I used too. I'll try it again with my regular lemon and pepper.

I never use any rub when I smoke salmon. I brine it and then just sprinkle on garlic, salt, and pepper. Sometimes I spray it with apple juice. No complaints thus far.

Top Bottom