So this happened Yesterday! Dynatrac Trail leader package! BUMMER it was Made Wrong

jesse3638

Hooked
That's a perfect solution for a 7000 dollar purchase :crazyeyes:

Seriously if the housing IS indeed built wrong, they should be shipping you out a new one like YESTERDAY. I sure as hell wouldn't settle for cutting shafts if the housing isn't right. Isn't there some half-naked blonde chick's axle hanging around the shop that they could just send to you?

Not sure what the fuck is going on over there, but it seems like right about the time the JL came out, Dynatrac has completely changed how they do things.

Not sure if Jim even reads this shit, but if so:

View attachment 332668

"Each and every axle goes through 117 different inspections during the assembly, ensuring unparalleled quality."

Looks like Critter's went through only 116.

My thoughts exactly. Like...seriously. No fucking way I'd be ok with constantly having to cut shafts to fit what should have accepted a standard length shaft.

Exactly my point in my earlier post. No need for the "Cut-stom" shafts. If there was a need for a trail fix he'd be screwed unless he carried his one-off shafts.

critter812

So here is the timeline and discussions to date with Dynatrac!

On July 17 I place an order with Dynatrac for their Trail Leader package! was so excited to have this for an upcomming trip to WindRock at the end of August.
On August 5 got tracking info it had shipped!
August 8 was on my trailer from FedEx to be installed that weekend
August 9th I pulled the Dirty 30 out from under my jeep and someone came and picked it up. I then began installing the PR44 got everything bolted up and pulle the shats that were installed so I could install my Knuckles and Unit bearings this is where things started going sideways.
Got the knuckles installed put the shafts back in and started bolt un my unit bearing on drivers side and it stops about 1/4" from being flush ok thats weird. Move to passenger side same thing. thought well its Midnight maybe I am tired or not doing something right so message a buddy that is a mechanic at a Jeep shop right down the street and asked him to stop by he shows up next morning and trys installing no go so put some paint on end of shaft to see if it is in deed going all the way in and yep it is. So either shafts are too long or tubes on both sides are at least 1/4" off. so pull shafts install unit bearings so its at least derivable and take a shit load of pictures and send them off to Dynatrac salesman.
Monday moring I call and ask for tech support got Corywho asks me to send him the pictures and he would pull build sheet and get back with me.
this is the reply!

Hello Charles,

Thank you for the pictures and information.
I was able to look into the build folder for your axle and everything appears to line up except the shafts.
They appear to be slightly oversized. But we would like to get the shafts back to measure and confirm and make the proper modifications to the shafts if need be.
I can create a FedEx call tag and a return authorization to get the shafts back.
Please allow a little time for me to get this processed and I will send of the information to you on what needs to be done next.

So I get it shit happens but the idea that they want the shafts back to "Modify them" did not make sense to me why not just overnight me a set of correct shafts? So I called Cory to express my concerns that if my housing was off i would never be able to replace my shafts without cutting them down and was told as long as you get them from us no worries we will have record of the measurements. So I asked what if I want to get a set of revolution shafts was told Dynatrac PR44 shafts are custom length But i could alway call and get correct lengths and have them made if i choose. this struck me as odd since Dynatrac sells just the housing and northridge builds them with TenTen shafts are they custom???

All I really want is to have a Pro Rock housing that if I break a shaft I can swap it out without needing a machine shop!

It could absolutly be that I got unlucky and got some shafts that were a little long if that's the case great. If not I feel like I am getting a bit of the shaft so to speak!

critter812

Mine measures out as follows:

Passenger side from where the axle tube meets the pumpkin housing to the flat of the knuckle NOT the weld: 23-1/4"
Driver side same criteria as above: 8-1/8"

So Dynatrac just had me measure zerk to zerk on the upper ball joints and mine is 51.5”

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailraider

Good luck. the custom aspect is a bummer for sure. if the tubes are to short (not a normal length they cut) because someone was a sleep at the machine. I would be demanding the proper housing. I would be telling them it sounds like a "ish-YOU not an ish-ME" and to fix it properly. If it was just an axle mix up then great. get it fixed and move on.

Braxtonsag

I can measure mine tonight after work as well. I ordered mine through northridge with the ten factory shafts and didn’t have to deal w none of the shit you’re going through. What gets me is that if it’s in your “build folder” that the axle shafts were oversized, why was it even sent to you that way..

fiend

Caught the Bug
From the Dynatrac email it sounds like the housing is correct just the shafts are too long. If that’s the issue then send your shafts back for shortening. After that, you should be fine to use other brands, trail spares, etc. That said, it would be better customer service for Dynatrac just to send you new shafts and pay for shipping to return the incorrect ones.

jesse3638

Hooked
From the Dynatrac email it sounds like the housing is correct just the shafts are too long. If that’s the issue then send your shafts back for shortening. After that, you should be fine to use other brands, trail spares, etc. That said, it would be better customer service for Dynatrac just to send you new shafts and pay for shipping to return the incorrect ones.

I was kind of reading it that way too. hopefully that's the case, bu tif so why not just send the correct shafts and have him return the incorrect ones?

I have stock Rubicon Shafts at home I can measure when I'm off of you like. Or I'm sure you can google the length and measure yours to compare.

desertrunner

Did you already ship the shafts off?
I too have a PR44 with dynatrac shafts
My Jeep is not my DD So i can pull my shit apart and measure my shafts (so to speak) if you need measurements. Let me know

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

Did you already ship the shafts off?
I too have a PR44 with dynatrac shafts
My Jeep is not my DD So i can pull my shit apart and measure my shafts (so to speak) if you need measurements. Let me know

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s already turned into a shaft measuring contest? [emoji2957]

2013 JKU Sport S, named Spider

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

TheGrendel

I messaged critter when he posted this issue originally. My thoughts as others have expressed were that Dynatrac has been putting this axle out for a decade. If it’s just a shaft issue, why didn’t they just put some new shafts in the mail ASAP and have him send his back that we’re cut wrong? They should have plenty of spares.

Then, Dynatrac could measure the shafts when they got back and determine where they had a process failure.

I would not settle for a custom length housing in this situation. If you’re out at Moab and bust a shaft, I’d want to be able to snag one off the rack.

WJCO

Meme King
So I get it shit happens but the idea that they want the shafts back to "Modify them" did not make sense to me why not just overnight me a set of correct shafts? So I called Cory to express my concerns that if my housing was off i would never be able to replace my shafts without cutting them down and was told as long as you get them from us no worries we will have record of the measurements. So I asked what if I want to get a set of revolution shafts was told Dynatrac PR44 shafts are custom length But i could alway call and get correct lengths and have them made if i choose. this struck me as odd ...

Dynatrac uses Foote to build their shafts. So in a sense, they are custom and yes a PR44 requires different length shafts than a Rubicon 44 or a JK Dana 30. However, there are other manufacturers that build shafts for the PR44. Pretty sure Nitro, G2, and Ten Factory do. So no matter what, your Dynatrac shafts should be the same length as other companies that offer them. But no, your local Autozone probably won't carry anything that would fit.

If Dynatrac is confident that is where your issue lies, I still think the right thing to do would be to have just overnighted you some new shafts based on the measurements that they asked of you.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Dynatrac uses Foote to build their shafts. So in a sense, they are custom and yes a PR44 requires different length shafts than a Rubicon 44 or a JK Dana 30. However, there are other manufacturers that build shafts for the PR44. Pretty sure Nitro, G2, and Ten Factory do. So no matter what, your Dynatrac shafts should be the same length as other companies that offer them. But no, your local Autozone probably won't carry anything that would fit.

If Dynatrac is confident that is where your issue lies, I still think the right thing to do would be to have just overnighted you some new shafts based on the measurements that they asked of you.

Then maybe they just sent shafts for a stock D44 housing?.... accidents happen.

jdofmemi

So why would a ProRock need different length shafts? Especially if it is that small of a difference?

Hopefully this gets cleared up in time for Critters run.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Then maybe they just sent shafts for a stock D44 housing?.... accidents happen.

Stock shafts would fit in a PR44. I think what he is saying is maybe they sent him D30 shafts and he needs D44 shafts or something to that effect.

Either way, I wouldn't want my shafts cut down. I don’t care how much they do it or what not.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

I wonder how custom the shafts really are? Re-watching the most recent axel build for Jet, you see the Dynatrac employee turn the axel tubes using a manual engine lathe, mallet and a tape measure to set the initial length. Not exactly precision machined like if they were made on a cnc lathe. I can’t help but think that the end machining is not very concentric, perpendicular or parallel, not to mention variance in over all length and bore depth. Due to editing, maybe a lot of precision work was done, but just not shown. Idk, the whole thing would bother the living shit out of me.

Top Bottom