so whats the deal with ball joints?

suicideking

I've noticed that the top of my tires are slightly tilted in and I know there is no adjustment to bring it back out. Do y'all think the ball joints are shot? I had it aligned last week and the tech said he didn't see anything bent.

Sent by Pony Express

Sounds like ball joints. Any pics?

CerOf

Synergy here. Replaced a few days ago at ~110k miles. Drives like she's brand new!!

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
First, I read the title of this thread with my Jerry Seinfeld voice. :)

Second, since my factory joints went out at 100K miles, I have installed Alloy ball joints, Moog, and now Advance Auto Parts cheapest greaseable pair after discovering during a teardown that the Moogs had failed too. The Alloy lasted 1,800 very unsafe miles. The Moog joints were a huge improvement over the Alloy. I believe that I damaged an upper Moog joint during a very difficult offroad recovery. After my ball joint experiences, I have decided to save up and purchase a set of Dynatrac ball joints. The Dynatracs aren't indestructible, but they are more resilient than the factory joints and most other aftermarket joints. Plus after the initial installation, you never have to remove or re-install the ball joint body; just the core. That is alone, is worth the cost of the Dynatracs for me!

How did the alloys fail? Also there is a warranty on them so you should have used that.

The dynatrac's are completely rebuildable which is a huge selling point. It'll be the last set of ball joints you need to buy.

mrmet1983

After 82k/mi my OEM ball joints have finally met their maker. Fortunately they lasted pretty long, so I can't complain.

However, over the past two days I have been researching replacements. One common theme seems to be standing out, no matter what brand I'm researching. Are ball joints always, "Hit or Miss?" :idontknow: It seems that there is such a split from good/bad experiences or break-in periods, etc. From Synergy, Poly Performance, Alloy USA, I have read many ecstatic customers and very upset ones as well.

My bottom line:
I simply need a quality replacement that will last. What does everyone suggest?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks. :beer::beer:

Being that ball joints can be a pita to replace I went with dynatrac cuz I don't plan on having to change these for a long time and I've best the snot out of mine and there r still kicking ass

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, there simply is no comparison to a set of Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints. They literally will be the last set of ball joints you will ever need to get. If they are out of your budget, I too would recommend a set of Crown HD joints as they are the same thing as Synergy and Alloy only more affordable.

My ball joints are still good but one day I will need them replaced.
How is a pro steer rebuildable? And are they expensive to rebuild? Do they last a long time or is the plus only the fact that they are rebuildable? Sorry for hijacking, been reading from the first post and very interested. Thanks

sent while sitting on the crapper

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My ball joints are still good but one day I will need them replaced.
How is a pro steer rebuildable? And are they expensive to rebuild? Do they last a long time or is the plus only the fact that they are rebuildable? Sorry for hijacking, been reading from the first post and very interested. Thanks

sent while sitting on the crapper

ProSteers are rebuildable but since they were released a few years back, I have yet to hear of anyone needing to rebuild one. Having said that, being rebuildable is far from being the only plus factor. A BIG bonus of the ProSteer ball joints over OE and ANY OTHER aftermarket ball joints you can get is that they have a different method of operation. OE and ALL other aftermarket ball joints have a bottom joint that pivots and a top joint that allows up and down motion but no pivot. The Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints have a bottom joint that allows pivot and, a top joint that goes up and down AND pivots. This helps keep the ball joints aligned with each other without binding. Bent end forgings or, axle C's are very common in JKs and, this specific feature of the ProSteer's is a crucial part to ball joint longevity. Of course, ProSteers are made in the USA and so you can be sure to get a quality part as well.

Negative camber (which it looks like you have in the picture) can be bad ball joints, bent axle, or bent Cs. Do you have C-gussets? If not, and you don't feel play in the ball joints I would bet this is where the issue is.

Edit to add what I am seeing as negative camber could just be the picture angle.... ROTATE YOUR PHONE! :)

Kneece

Negative camber (which it looks like you have in the picture) can be bad ball joints, bent axle, or bent Cs. Do you have C-gussets? If not, and you don't feel play in the ball joints I would bet this is where the issue is.

Edit to add what I am seeing as negative camber could just be the picture angle.... ROTATE YOUR PHONE! :)

Nope, no gussets. I don't feel any play and it drives pretty damn straight still. I guess I just need to up grade to a 44.

Sent by Pony Express

kyle521

bumping this thread, so I'm about to replace my ball joints when I move to 35s, I dont think mine have ever been replaced and I am at 114k. Im guessing most people agree with crown? Will be replacing the d30 in the future, so no need for dynatracs. Also, when I buy them does a set come with everything I need for both sides?

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
bumping this thread, so I'm about to replace my ball joints when I move to 35s, I dont think mine have ever been replaced and I am not at 114k. Im guessing most people agree with crown? Will be replacing the d30 in the future, so no need for dynatracs. Also, when I buy them does a set come with everything I need for both sides?

Crown are fairly affordable last I checked, alloy USA were a good price, I think even Napa has greasable ball joints. Synergy is going to be the most expensive. These are probably all made in the same factory in China.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Another one I remember was Yukon gear and axle had some. Forgot who tried those, price looked good.

Top Bottom