Sometimes you have to man up and be passive

PatyWagon

Hmm, got to wonder how many times people "got lost" and ended up on his property. After awhile I would be pissed too.
You got to look at it like you owned it, what if it happens all the time an your just tired of it?

It's not a great feeling when people are playing in your backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
If the owner is a "fellow jeeper" then he should be even more aware of this could happen. If the road to his land is not a public easement that has to remain open to traffic, why not have a well placed gate and trespassing signs?

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

What/why should carrying change a mindset of controlling ones emotions regarding a situation and possible lives being in danger should something escalate?

Because if there is potential of bringing a deadly weapon into a situation, you better be damn sure it's the right call - legally, morally. Your fists will hurt a man, maybe put him in the hospital. Bullets will do much worse.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Just read this and it peaked my interest so I thought I’d throw a wrench in the mix here. Don’t get me wrong, you handled that better than most people ever could have dreamed of for sure given the situation that guy put you in ( which is to say the least fucked) but why does an armed society have to be a polite one? I totally understand what you’re saying here having been on both sides of that type of situation before but that’s more a mindset thing isn’t it? Since I’ve been in martial arts from when I was 5 till now (22) I’ve always been taught self control and trained to react instead of act. (For example if you punch me, I react/ counter your punch. Never throw a first punch type thing.) Having been in situations unarmed and been out numbered, out sized, places I didn’t know my way around on vacations even having weapons in my face, I can say I never needed a gun to remain calm or situationally aware. Whether it be open or concealed, What/why should carrying change a mindset of controlling ones emotions regarding a situation and possible lives being in danger should something escalate?

I’m not trying to start any drama or fights or anything like that, it’s just rare that I can have an adult conversation about such touchy topics with people who are mature.

For the record, I’m a proud gun owner myself and carry my Judge loaded with 2 410s and 3 .45 hollow points from time to time depending where I’m going
Same team[emoji847][emoji16]

I believe what he was saying is that, having the proper training and ability to defend ones self, gives you the confidence to not be the aggressor but rather to stay in that reactive mode while trying to de-escalate the situation. This goes for being armed as well as being trained in martial arts as you are.
This does not apply to Jo Schmo that buys a pistol and straps it to their side thinking that they are automatically safer just for having it.

To the OP. I feel you handled this situation as well as anyone could have. It's always hard to remain calm with someone in your face. I'm glad that your buddy didn't have the opposite reaction. I have some friends that tend to get me into trouble because they are hot headed.

Oreo_penguin536

Because if there is potential of bringing a deadly weapon into a situation, you better be damn sure it's the right call - legally, morally. Your fists will hurt a man, maybe put him in the hospital. Bullets will do much worse.

That’s precisely what I’m getting at. As an example, I can kill you with out a gun and I can certainly show you what pain is without killing as well. I still have to make sure that I really want to do that and what the consequences are before I take that action. The difference is pulling a trigger to someone is 1 finger where as doing the same damage with your hands is much more involved.

A Thai kick can generate up to 790 pounds per square inch of force, that’s well enough power to do damage and with the right person it’s just as fast as drawing a holstered gun. That being said yes, trained people who have that background can kick that hard or put the hurt on someone and a trained person with a gun can certainly do that same. But even with martial arts training out of the picture, Why should having a gun change my mind set when nessecerely we all have the ability to kill/ severely injure someone without a weapon. Plenty of people are in prison serving life who aren’t trained like many on this forum.

Or this, hypothetical example.
your at the park playing with your kids, a man runs up and try to take one of them. You don’t have a gun but you see that hes heading towards a black van 50 feet away. You have seconds before you lose your chance and all you have are your keys and your belt. Are you not going to think “ if I loop my belt around this guys neck I could break it” or “ if I stab this guy in the neck with my car key he could bleed out in 3 minutes flat.” “ what if I miss and hit my son/daughter and injury them?” I would definitely say you have to be damn sure your making the right call there too. I guess my point is anything can be a deadly weapon and require the same thought process as a gun would, seeing unconventional things as a weapon is just a matter of how creative you are and how desperate you are. Just because a gun is a gun doesn’t mean it should be treated with any difference in respect. Yes they are extremely dangerous in the wrong hands but so is a newspaper, spoon or a toothbrush.

Again, not trying to be shitty in anyway.🤙🏾 just picking brains

Last edited:

Oreo_penguin536

I believe what he was saying is that, having the proper training and ability to defend ones self, gives you the confidence to not be the aggressor but rather to stay in that reactive mode while trying to de-escalate the situation. This goes for being armed as well as being trained in martial arts as you are.
This does not apply to Jo Schmo that buys a pistol and straps it to their side thinking that they are automatically safer just for having it.

To the OP. I feel you handled this situation as well as anyone could have. It's always hard to remain calm with someone in your face. I'm glad that your buddy didn't have the opposite reaction. I have some friends that tend to get me into trouble because they are hot headed.

that makes much more sense to me when you put it that way. Trained mind is a trained body

BobNH

Nice job on de-escalation. Some odd facts, but the idea in general is that it is always best to try words first. Not sure what "man" has a thought to jump on someone for their "disrespect"; given you were on private property wouldn't that have made you, in his eyes, "disrespectful"? And my apologies if time has changed so drastically that carrying loaded, chambered no safety weapons is considered "responsible".
Again, glad this all went well, I have been in a similar situation a time or two myself when wandering onto mapped roads that became private property but never got updated. Cooler heads always prevail.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OldManJeepin

Just because a gun is a gun doesn’t mean it should be treated with any difference in respect. Yes they are extremely dangerous in the wrong hands but so is a newspaper, spoon or a toothbrush.

Again, not trying to be shitty in anyway.🤙🏾 just picking brains

Actually, the gun being what it is, in this overly gun conscious society, it being a gun is a *very* different thing. Their are not huge numbers of people in our country who are anti-newspaper/spoon/toothbrush. A large number of people out there are actively anti-gun and will look toward *any* situation where a gun is used, righteously or not, to prove we should no longer be able to own/carry them. An armed society *is* a polite society due to the nature of Mutually Assured Destruction.

I believe the OP did exactly the right thing, right down to not trying to press charges against the property owner. The property owner could have done a better job by posting No Trespassing/Private Property signs where appropriate, and by not trying to block them in when they were legitimately trying to vacate the property. It was a bad situation that could have gone sideways real quick if the OP didn't have the confidence to de-escalate the nature of the situation. Only those who are weak and lack confidence feel the need to "prove" themselves by escalation... The strong and the confident have nothing to prove and know that if it comes down to an actual fight, somebody screwed up and everybody loses. Training is what gives one that confidence. The old adage "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" applies. As a Marine, having lost my right leg in the fight, I know a *little* bit about that....Good Job OP: Semper Fi!

Oreo_penguin536

Actually, the gun being what it is, in this overly gun conscious society, it being a gun is a *very* different thing. Their are not huge numbers of people in our country who are anti-newspaper/spoon/toothbrush. A large number of people out there are actively anti-gun and will look toward *any* situation where a gun is used, righteously or not, to prove we should no longer be able to own/carry them. An armed society *is* a polite society due to the nature of Mutually Assured Destruction.

I believe the OP did exactly the right thing, right down to not trying to press charges against the property owner. The property owner could have done a better job by posting No Trespassing/Private Property signs where appropriate, and by not trying to block them in when they were legitimately trying to vacate the property. It was a bad situation that could have gone sideways real quick if the OP didn't have the confidence to de-escalate the nature of the situation. Only those who are weak and lack confidence feel the need to "prove" themselves by escalation... The strong and the confident have nothing to prove and know that if it comes down to an actual fight, somebody screwed up and everybody loses. Training is what gives one that confidence. The old adage "The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war" applies. As a Marine, having lost my right leg in the fight, I know a *little* bit about that....Good Job OP: Semper Fi!

I’m not sure I follow you by Mutually assure destruction, haven’t heard that one before, do you mean how it is if everyone has a gun everyone will be more conciensous of that because everyone could kill each other if they aren’t carrful?

Last edited:

OldManJeepin

Essentially, yes: If everyone is armed then I believe those who tend to live their lives pushing others around would be a bit more respectful of other folks rights. I know I would.....lol

Hahaha[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] hey I have no problem with them unless it has a rattle. Then those bastards can stay the hell away

It is also all I have since I can’t drop 500$+ on the Springfield xds I want[emoji29]

The judge is a cool gun. I was just saying cause you load it with two shot shells. I do the same when I’m out hiking because I also hate snakes.

Oreo_penguin536

The judge is a cool gun. I was just saying cause you load it with two shot shells. I do the same when I’m out hiking because I also hate snakes.
Ammo isn’t cool. 45 bucks for a box of 50 as opposed to what 20$ for 9mm?

They make flare ammo for it I’ve been reading but I can’t find where to buy any. Would be cool to have backpacking/hiking for emergencies

Chris1015

Wow that is a totally Insane story. Seems like a couple extra sign placements might take care of a lot of these encounters unless people are blatantly disregarding them on the path.

Gbint

In my end of the world, if we’re caught on private property, we’re usually forced to sit through a serving of tea and cookies before we’re politely told to leave..... with an invitation to come back

Top Bottom