Spare parts / equipment list for long distance travel

Red Dragon

Hi everybody.

I'm quite new jeep owner (previously owned and still have one Toyoua Land Cruiser), so I need some help from more experienced jeepers.

Do you have a "must to have in car" list of spare parts and/or equipment to travel a long distance and finally to have 200-300 miles trail far away from any Jeep parts store. I have 2 doors JK 2008 with 3.8 engine and 4 inch lift.

Many thanks in advance

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It might be different for you due to where you're located. Here in the US, parts can be found just about anywhere and so, I try to carry only what I need to get me off the trail. Things that you just can't fix, weld or do without like a sector shaft or more importantly, fluids. I do carry spare u-joints too but more times than not, there's no need for them as axle shaft or drive shaft breaks are typically bad enough that a new joint won't fix anything.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
It might be different for you due to where you're located. Here in the US, parts can be found just about anywhere and so, I try to carry only what I need to get me off the trail. Things that you just can't fix, weld or do without like a sector shaft or more importantly, fluids. I do carry spare u-joints too but more times than not, there's no need for them as axle shaft or drive shaft breaks are typically bad enough that a new joint won't fix anything.

I know there are no absolutes for breakages, but aren't the u-joints purposefully designed as a weak link?:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know there are no absolutes for breakages, but aren't the u-joints purposefully designed as a weak link?:thinking:

I don't know if I'd say they are purposefully designed to be a weak link so much as they just are. Having said that, i do carry spare joints just in case it can be caught in time.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I don't know if I'd say they are purposefully designed to be a weak link so much as they just are. Having said that, i do carry spare joints just in case it can be caught in time.

Thx Eddie. Guess Red Dragon and I better throw a couple of spares in the parts bag.:yup:

Red Dragon

Im from Russia, waiting time in Moscow to have some parts is more than 2 weeks. If i travel outside - waiting time is 2 weeks plus delivery - sometimes it can takes a lot of time)))))

Red Dragon

Maybe you can share your trail experience? What did you break during the trail? Did you break something twice? Do you take belts, fluids? What welder can be recommended?

Top Bottom