Spring retainers

Ddays

Hooked
No I meant mine dropped out when opposite corners-front and rear- were flexed out. With axle hanging and on a lift no issues. But flexing the corners makes the frame flex some as well and that makes a difference.

Sent from my iThingie

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
No I meant mine dropped out when opposite corners-front and rear- were flexed out. With axle hanging and on a lift no issues. But flexing the corners makes the frame flex some as well and that makes a difference.

Sent from my iThingie

Gotcha.... thanks, I guess I'll add spring retainers than. I don't want to risk it. I think I'll go with the ones that curries makes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Anybody else can chime in on this? I am leaning towards the retainers now.

Unless someone else can add to this I think you have 4 choices:

Shorter shocks
longer springs
limit straps
upper spring retainers

I have never run straps or upper retainers. I am leaning towards different shocks. My feeling is that because we shortened the upper stroke on the shock but increased the downstroke, pinning the spring and causing it to stretch past what it is intended is not optimal. We all know over-compressing them is not good so I'm gonna make the assumption that stretching them is equally bad. I'm not against straps, and that's what you have to run with the Evo-Lever system so maybe they would actually be best? I'd love for some pros and cons of the above.

Edit: I talked to the guy that installed my LA system and Rockstars about this (Shopteach) and the only two suggestions he made to me was the strap or shorter shocks. He also mentioned in talking with the Fox Shox folks that they recommended straps instead of shorter shocks. I think unless someone can chime in on this I'm gonna call King, Fox, & ORE to see what they suggest.

Last edited:

RCVRY

The rubber piece on top is stuck into the coil bucket. It is loose as you show but I wouldn't worry about it.

This^^^ My rear spring came loose. How I don't know, but it had nowhere to go. On mine the bottom stayed put and the top kicked out, but it stayed in the bucket, drove fine.
Took the wheel off, jackstands under the frame, stuffed the axle with my jack, hand tightened my spring compressor, went full droop, moved spring into position, slowly restuffed the axle, took the compression tool off...slapped everything back together.
I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes unseated it doesn't appear to have anywhere to go. Even at highway speeds...[emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I use the JKS adjustable rear spring mount to straighten out the springs and also use their bottom spring retainers. I never had a spring pop out.

That is interesting, would have a picture of your setup. It's hard to find something solid on this on the web.

Unless someone else can add to this I think you have 4 choices:

Shorter shocks
longer springs
limit straps
upper spring retainers

I have never run straps or upper retainers. I am leaning towards different shocks. My feeling is that because we shortened the upper stroke on the shock but increased the downstroke, pinning the spring and causing it to stretch past what it is intended is not optimal. We all know over-compressing them is not good so I'm gonna make the assumption that stretching them is equally bad. I'm not against straps, and that's what you have to run with the Evo-Lever system so maybe they would actually be best? I'd love for some pros and cons of the above.

Edit: I talked to the guy that installed my LA system and Rockstars about this (Shopteach) and the only two suggestions he made to me was the strap or shorter shocks. He also mentioned in talking with the Fox Shox folks that they recommended straps instead of shorter shocks. I think unless someone can chime in on this I'm gonna call King, Fox, & ORE to see what they suggest.

I agree with you about not pinning the spring down on both top and bottom, that will cause coil to over expand. I might just do a retainer on bottom, the coil shouldn't really pop out on the top since there is a rim around the spring bucket there.

This^^^ My rear spring came loose. How I don't know, but it had nowhere to go. On mine the bottom stayed put and the top kicked out, but it stayed in the bucket, drove fine.
Took the wheel off, jackstands under the frame, stuffed the axle with my jack, hand tightened my spring compressor, went full droop, moved spring into position, slowly restuffed the axle, took the compression tool off...slapped everything back together.
I wouldn't worry about it. If it comes unseated it doesn't appear to have anywhere to go. Even at highway speeds...[emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is probably true as stated before, I am still hesitant of just leaving it be, the fear of dropping a coil is strong with me lol [emoji53]

WJCO

Meme King
I'll try to get pics of mine, but I have the bottom fastened down. The top won't fall because the inner retainer keeps the coil from tipping sideways. When my front axle droops, the LF coil drops out of the upper seat about 2 inches and the RF drops about half inch. Not sure if the JKs do that.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I'll try to get pics of mine, but I have the bottom fastened down. The top won't fall because the inner retainer keeps the coil from tipping sideways. When my front axle droops, the LF coil drops out of the upper seat about 2 inches and the RF drops about half inch. Not sure if the JKs do that.

Mine drops out, I wanna say about 1/2" maybe little more. That's with Rockstars installed. Only on driver side, passenger side is loose but not as much. I think I'll just fasten the bottoms and calm it good, like you said the lip up top will prevent it from tipping.
https://youtu.be/lXK5RxgK2nA

WJCO

Meme King
Here's what I got going on. The uppers just guide the coil back in place. The lowers hold the spring completely in place.

1230161438.jpg

1230161440.jpg

0123171442.jpg

0123171518.jpg

sassmouth

That is interesting, would have a picture of your setup. It's hard to find something solid on this on the web.

I agree with you about not pinning the spring down on both top and bottom, that will cause coil to over expand. I might just do a retainer on bottom, the coil shouldn't really pop out on the top since there is a rim around the spring bucket there.

This is probably true as stated before, I am still hesitant of just leaving it be, the fear of dropping a coil is strong with me lol [emoji53]

Here you go

1500852129762.jpg

1500852163177.jpg

1500852194682.jpg

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If you or VeruGE*144 can use a 1/2" spacer without it looking funny the Teraflex spacers snap into the frame on top
View attachment 269483
And have a "guide" on the bottom
View attachment 269484
That's the thinnest spacer I've seen, I have them in the 1" size

That's a good idea. Do you use it with the factory isolator? Or does the factory one gets eliminated? I read somewhere that if you ditch he factory one you might be getting some squeaking noise coming form there.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
The cutting and grinding was the only pain. Overall very straight forward install.

I assume that it does correct the bow in he coils. I am debating if this is worth installing for me since I am planning on adding long adjustable arms anyway. I can correct the caster and maybe get rid of the bow at the same time. Do you run stock or adjustable arms with these?

Top Bottom