Spyderlock beadlocks

BaddestCross

Here's another with the 20" Spyderlocs and 40x15.50 Mud Grapplers :yup:

main.php
Drifting off topic a sec... How do the Mud Grapplers compare to the Trail Grapplers? I love my Trail Grapplers but they have no siping, so I'm a bit concerned about icy roads.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Drifting off topic a sec... How do the Mud Grapplers compare to the Trail Grapplers? I love my Trail Grapplers but they have no siping, so I'm a bit concerned about icy roads.

If you're concerned about icy roads, you really need to be running a good all terrain like a Duratrac. All mud terrain tires have a tough time on icy roads and due to the reasons you seem to be aware of already. That being said, I personally feel that the Mud Grapplers do better on the slick stuff than Trail Grapplers and do WAY BETTER in snow. But of course, Mud Grapplers come with their own baggage. Of all the mud terrains I've run in snow and ice, I'd still have to say that Cooper STT Pros perform the best. Not as good as Duratracs but better than any other M/T I've run.

BaddestCross

If you're concerned about icy roads, you really need to be running a good all terrain like a Duratrac. All mud terrain tires have a tough time on icy roads and due to the reasons you seem to be aware of already. That being said, I personally feel that the Mud Grapplers do better on the slick stuff than Trail Grapplers and do WAY BETTER in snow. But of course, Mud Grapplers come with their own baggage. Of all the mud terrains I've run in snow and ice, I'd still have to say that Cooper STT Pros perform the best. Not as good as Duratracs but better than any other M/T I've run.
Agreed and if I was still living in the mountains, I'd probably go with Duratracs for winter tires. My question is geared toward the occasional trip up the mountain nowadays...

If you WERE to go back to Nitto, would you go Trail or Mud for the type of driving you tend to do most often?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed and if I was still living in the mountains, I'd probably go with Duratracs for winter tires. My question is geared toward the occasional trip up the mountain nowadays...

If you WERE to go back to Nitto, would you go Trail or Mud for the type of driving you tend to do most often?

If we're talking about 37" tires and smaller, hands down Mud Grappler. I've never been fond of the way Trail Grapplers have that annoying pull to the left and I have found their side walls to be weaker than I prefer. The Mud Grapplers in that size are much tougher and hook up better on the rocks. In a 40" tire, that would be a lot harder for me decide being that the Trail Grappler is a totally different tire at that size. Still has the annoying pull to the left but it feels and behaves more like a 40x13.50 Toyo MT in that size only with better hook up on the rocks and much more aggressive shoulder lugs. Of course, if we're talking about 40x15.50's, Toyo MT and Mud Grapplers are the only ones in the family that come in that size and I would have to go with the Mud Grapplers.

BTW, here's a shot of Rubicat wearing Moby's old shoes and out in the snow. :cool:
main.php

BaddestCross

If we're talking about 37" tires and smaller, hands down Mud Grappler. I've never been fond of the way Trail Grapplers have that annoying pull to the left and I have found their side walls to be weaker than I prefer. The Mud Grapplers in that size are much tougher and hook up better on the rocks. In a 40" tire, that would be a lot harder for me decide being that the Trail Grappler is a totally different tire at that size. Still has the annoying pull to the left but it feels and behaves more like a 40x13.50 Toyo MT in that size only with better hook up on the rocks and much more aggressive shoulder lugs. Of course, if we're talking about 40x15.50's, Toyo MT and Mud Grapplers are the only ones in the family that come in that size and I would have to go with the Mud Grapplers.

BTW, here's a shot of Rubicat wearing Moby's old shoes and out in the snow. :cool:
main.php
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'm getting the final pieces of the puzzle done to make the jump to 37s and needed to know which way to go. 🍻

--

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
It sucks that the spiderlocks can have such balance issues after getting beat up cuz they just look so awesome. I still want a set of them if I ever need new rings for my slabs

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom