Steering box adjustment

The BAD Influence

I’ve had a similar problem. Installed a Dynatrac XD60 in Feb. and have severe death wobble now. Dynatrac techs inspected the Jeep at EJS in April and claimed the problem was the stock gear box (2016 JKUR) which only had about 20k miles on it. Long story short I installed a PSC big bore steering gear box, pump, and ram assist. Problem solved right? No. As long as the ram assist is connected I don’t experience death wobble. However, the bolt on the tie rod mount came loose twice. I discovered this because my death wobble returned each time. So as long as ram assist is connected it’s fine but if disconnected I have death wobble. Expensive “fix”.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GAWD!
So, just spit balling here. Somewhere these axle housings are being manufacturered. Let's say the jig slowly moves and gets out of specs. Maybe the C's or CA mounts get welded, but aren't within specs. Could this happen? Could this cause these steering issues? Issues that can only be covered up with a very expensive band aid? However, if both lower CAs and both upper CAs are at the same length. Castor shows 5 degrees on both sides, then my argument doesn't make sense.
Also, I just remembered another reason why I'm thinking there's something wrong with the stock steering box is because I can never get the steering wheel exactly centered. It's close enough that the stability control doesn't engage, but it's never dead on center. Even the slightest adjustment and the wheel goes out the other direction.
Idk, just rambling now.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Solid advice. Been thinking of centering the Jeep in garage. Setting up my chair directly in front of it. Putting on my tin foil hat, pouring a tall bourbon and see if I can get inspired as to what to do next.

Haha!! But really I doubt the axle was built improperly. It is probably something very minor going on. It possible that you could lengthen the LCA by 1/8” and that could bring caster down just enough to get rid of the flightiness.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Solid advice. Been thinking of centering the Jeep in garage. Setting up my chair directly in front of it. Putting on my tin foil hat, pouring a tall bourbon and see if I can get inspired as to what to do next.

I’ve read through this thread and thought maybe I should comment since I’m having some of the same issues. After I installed my RK 3.5” lift everything was fine except for a slight tire balance issues which I had fixed. The Jeep drove great after that. It would track straight down the road with no issues. A few months later I upgraded my ball joints(synergy), c gussets, RK tie rod and drag link flip. Also had it regeared. After I got it back from the shop it has driven like shit! It now wanders all over the road. I double checked everything to make sure torque specs were right and I also had a realignment done to make sure that wasn’t the issue. Caster is +4.2 and toe is 1/32 toed in. I sometimes wonder if it’s the synergy ball joints? Now I see this thread about steering boxes and who knows. 🤷🏻*♂️ I’ve actually given up on trying to figure it out.

Exodus 4x4

Haha!! But really I doubt the axle was built improperly. It is probably something very minor going on. It possible that you could lengthen the LCA by 1/8” and that could bring caster down just enough to get rid of the flightiness.

I’ve seen a brand new factory JL Rubicon front axle with the C’s welded in place so out of whack the owner had this problem. Jeep wouldn’t warranty it either because he had lifted the Jeep. Matt Hodges had to machine a Ford D60 camber/caster bushing to fit the JL knuckle and offset the fucked up caster. So never doubt how much someone can fuck up a situation.

The BAD Influence

I’ve read through this thread and thought maybe I should comment since I’m having some of the same issues. After I installed my RK 3.5” lift everything was fine except for a slight tire balance issues which I had fixed. The Jeep drove great after that. It would track straight down the road with no issues. A few months later I upgraded my ball joints(synergy), c gussets, RK tie rod and drag link flip. Also had it regeared. After I got it back from the shop it has driven like shit! It now wanders all over the road. I double checked everything to make sure torque specs were right and I also had a realignment done to make sure that wasn’t the issue. Caster is +4.2 and toe is 1/32 toed in. I sometimes wonder if it’s the synergy ball joints? Now I see this thread about steering boxes and who knows. 🤷🏻*♂️ I’ve actually given up on trying to figure it out.

Synergy ball joints! That's what I used with the new axle. I've even thought that, and possibly they were torqued to high. But from my understanding if that was the case the steering would be really tight, and the wheel wouldn't return to center easily after a turn.
Then I go back to the fact it did this, not nearly as bad, almost new with the first lift.
Then I go back down the steering box rabbit hole.
These are the things that gets me in trouble with my wife. Something about not listening to her or ignoring her, idk.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Buy or borrow a second hand steering box, swap it in, and see what happens. Lots of people who went PSC have one sitting in their garage. Or visit a boneyard.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Another solid idea. Another rabbit hole. Go through the effort of swapping one out? Why not just go with the big bore? OMG I'm so OCD.

There was a thread awhile back where Bubba from Exodus said he had all kinds of issues with Synergy ball joints. Said he had to replace some on customers jeeps. I think before I go the steering box route I might replace my ball joints.

P.S. my steering wheel does not go back to center when turning. 🤦*♂️

fiend

Caught the Bug
Another solid idea. Another rabbit hole. Go through the effort of swapping one out? Why not just go with the big bore? OMG I'm so OCD.

Well if you swap in a used but functional box and the problem remains, you can conclude it’s something other than the box and you won’t waste a pile of money on a big bore.

A.J.

Well if you swap in a used but functional box and the problem remains, you can conclude it’s something other than the box and you won’t waste a pile of money on a big bore.

True. However it is a valid excuse to get one if you wanted it anyway and we’re getting spousal resistance against the purchase.

The BAD Influence

True. However it is a valid excuse to get one if you wanted it anyway and we’re getting spousal resistance against the purchase.

Haha. She's the one who is pushing to get it fixed. She loves to drive it, but not since this all started. She doesn't really care how much it costs, just wants it done. However, if I spend money on one thing and that doesn't resolve the issue, then I'll be in all kinds of trouble.

The BAD Influence

I think you should turn this one into a full time crawler and buy your wife another Jeep.

This is her Jeep. The only input I had when she bought it was to get the one with a tow hitch, so it had lower gears. Every modification that has been done since has to pass her approval. Regardless of the function, if it doesn't look good, it doesn't go on.
However, she has told me that I've taken over her Jeep so I owe her a new one. She wants a Black Gladiator. I have to lift it, put 37s on, whatever bumpers she wants, then never touch it again. She's had our son make her a "Mall Crawler" and "Silly Boys, Trucks are for GIRLS" stickers.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
This is her Jeep. The only input I had when she bought it was to get the one with a tow hitch, so it had lower gears. Every modification that has been done since has to pass her approval. Regardless of the function, if it doesn't look good, it doesn't go on.
However, she has told me that I've taken over her Jeep so I owe her a new one. She wants a Black Gladiator. I have to lift it, put 37s on, whatever bumpers she wants, then never touch it again. She's had our son make her a "Mall Crawler" and "Silly Boys, Trucks are for GIRLS" stickers.

You’re screwed. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King

Sounds like you're in the market for a Prius.

The BAD Influence

There was a thread awhile back where Bubba from Exodus said he had all kinds of issues with Synergy ball joints. Said he had to replace some on customers jeeps. I think before I go the steering box route I might replace my ball joints.

P.S. my steering wheel does not go back to center when turning. 🤦*♂️

Ok, another rabbit hole I've seen sinking into all afternoon. My control arms have blown out more bushings than they ever see. It's been determined that I'm over greasing them.
So, the synergy ball joints are greaseable. I've been scared to over grease them too. But, if they didn't have enough grease, would this cause them to be less stable...ie causing the wondering flighty feeling?

Last edited:

Noble Woodsman

Ok, another rabbit hole I've seen sinking into all afternoon. My control arms have blown out more bushings than they ever see. It's been determined that I'm over greasing them.
So, the synergy ball joints are greaseable. I've been scared to over grease them too. But, if they didn't have enough grease, would this cause them to be less stable...ie causing the wondering flighty feeling?

If they don't have enough grease, they will wear out prematurely, and that could lead to the issues your seeing. I'm not sure if there's a way to check the ball joints without replacing them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom