Steering box adjustment

Dean454

do you have a PSC? if so , which system did you go with? the firm feel (stock feeling) or the light feel - will make it feel loose at higher speeds.

It's the loose feeling at highway speeds. I'm gonna go with what Eddie said about adjusting to positive caster

jeeeep

Hooked
It's the loose feeling at highway speeds. I'm gonna go with what Eddie said about adjusting to positive caster

yes, check your caster to make sure it's where it should be, but PSC makes 2 different steering assist systems, one is the Firm Feel system which they recommend for DD as it's similar to the stock feel, the other is their Light Feel system which is not recommended for highway speeds. Do you know which PSC steering assist system you received?

Last edited:

Dean454

yes, check your caster to make sure it's where it should be, but PSC makes 2 different steering assist systems, one is the Firm Feel system which they recommend for DD as it's similar to the stock feel, the other is their Light Feel system which is not recommended for highway speeds. Do you know which PSC steering assist system you received?

Good question. I know it's the single piston but that's the extent of my knowledge. It is probably something I should have researched more prior to buying.

jeeeep

Hooked
Good question. I know it's the single piston but that's the extent of my knowledge. It is probably something I should have researched more prior to buying.

Contact PSC, they should have your sales order and they can identify which system you received; unless you had a shop do the order/install then they should be able to get an answer for you.

The BAD Influence

Tread Revival!

We only owned our brand new 2015 JKU for about a month before we put on a puck lift and 33s. Immediately the Jeep felt flighty and would wonder all over the road. We tried several different steering stabilizers trying to fix the problem. Nothing really helped. Eventually we put a 3.5" lift with CA relocation brackets. The flighty feeling somewhat went away, but not completely. Recently we put a new 3.5" lift, Carbon Currie axle, all new ball joints and barrings, new tie rod and draglink, front driveline, lockers and gears, 37s. Basically the only thing on the front end that isn't new is the knuckles which carried over. (We have all 8 adjustable control arms and the relocation brackets are gone). The wondering flighty feeling is now worse than its ever been. Its worse at slower speeds 35-50, and seems to be better 65-75, but only marginally. I started with the CA length specs suggested by the lift manufacturer then adjusted them slightly, my castor is 5 degrees. Toe is in the green according to the rack computer (don't remember what the actual reading was).
Given that everything is new, and that the wondering flighty feeling has basically been there from the first lift, and only gotten worse, I'm wondering if the steering box is the issue, and if there is an adjustment to that I can make, rather than replacing it. I understand the stock box, and specifically the sector shaft are probably my weak link at this time, so maybe I should replace it anyway, or go with hydro. But I dont want to put that much more money into it, hoping it will fix the problem.
So in doing some searches I found the box has an adjustment setting that seemingly can be easily changed. Several youtube videos make it look easy enough. But then I found this thread, basically saying DO NOT do that.
Should I adjust the steering box?
Any other suggestions on what to do or check?
Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
We only owned our brand new 2015 JKU for about a month before we put on a puck lift and 33s. Immediately the Jeep felt flighty and would wonder all over the road. We tried several different steering stabilizers trying to fix the problem. Nothing really helped. Eventually we put a 3.5" lift with CA relocation brackets. The flighty feeling somewhat went away, but not completely. Recently we put a new 3.5" lift, Carbon Currie axle, all new ball joints and barrings, new tie rod and draglink, front driveline, lockers and gears, 37s. Basically the only thing on the front end that isn't new is the knuckles which carried over. (We have all 8 adjustable control arms and the relocation brackets are gone). The wondering flighty feeling is now worse than its ever been. Its worse at slower speeds 35-50, and seems to be better 65-75, but only marginally. I started with the CA length specs suggested by the lift manufacturer then adjusted them slightly, my castor is 5 degrees. Toe is in the green according to the rack computer (don't remember what the actual reading was).
Given that everything is new, and that the wondering flighty feeling has basically been there from the first lift, and only gotten worse, I'm wondering if the steering box is the issue, and if there is an adjustment to that I can make, rather than replacing it. I understand the stock box, and specifically the sector shaft are probably my weak link at this time, so maybe I should replace it anyway, or go with hydro. But I dont want to put that much more money into it, hoping it will fix the problem.
So in doing some searches I found the box has an adjustment setting that seemingly can be easily changed. Several youtube videos make it look easy enough. But then I found this thread, basically saying DO NOT do that.
Should I adjust the steering box?
Any other suggestions on what to do or check?
Thanks

It can be done, but it's very sensitive and very rare that that is the issue. If you fuck it up, it can cause a safety issue and can damage the box permanently. Are you 100% sure that your track bar bolts are torqued down and the track bar bracket holes aren't wallowed out? This also can cause a flighty feeling if there is play there as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It can be done, but it's very sensitive and very rare that that is the issue. If you fuck it up, it can cause a safety issue and can damage the box permanently. Are you 100% sure that your track bar bolts are torqued down and the track bar bracket holes aren't wallowed out? This also can cause a flighty feeling if there is play there as well.

Agreed ^^^^^

The BAD Influence

Torque

Agreed ^^^^^

Honestly all I've done with the front track bar and drag link are to check the torque. Good there, but I didn't take the bolts out to inspect the holes. I had to reverse both rear botls as they were hitting the spring and bump stop. Those holes seemed fine.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Honestly all I've done with the front track bar and drag link are to check the torque. Good there, but I didn't take the bolts out to inspect the holes. I had to reverse both rear botls as they were hitting the spring and bump stop. Those holes seemed fine.

Since you said it was a 15. Might be worth a try to check or even replace your ball joints. You said it started after the 33s got put on. Which I can only assume were an upgrade from stock size. And then up to 37s Which I’m sure made it even worse.

The BAD Influence

Since you said it was a 15. Might be worth a try to check or even replace your ball joints. You said it started after the 33s got put on. Which I can only assume were an upgrade from stock size. And then up to 37s Which I’m sure made it even worse.

My apologies. Ball joints were replaced some time in the last year or so, then new ones put in with the new axle. No improvement.

The BAD Influence

Worn out holes

I haven't had time today to get under the Jeep, but thinking about it all day.
The axle is new, so the axle side track bar attachment point is new, with thick heavy brackets. Again, new track bar. Knuckles carried over, but a new tie rod was put in. Tie rod was in good shape, knuckles seemed good. Just upgraded the tie rod. A new drag link was also put in. It has a high steer drag link with the knuckle drilled out. That all seemed good, but again the issue started with the original puck lift, before the high steer was even put in. Pitman arm has never been taken off. The hole there looked good at the time too. I specifically remember checking the pitman arm and both knuckles during the axle swap. I do not remember looking at or inspecting the axle side track bar mount. But, as I previously stated, I've gone back and checked the torque on all these points.
Again, because of all this being new, and no obvious signs of worn holes, and because the issue started with the first lift, that's what lead me to question the steering box.
I'm not sure, but I've got a feeling that hydro steering won't necessarily fix the underlying problem, only mask it. Plus that's an expensive experiment.
I'm at a loss.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
My apologies. Ball joints were replaced some time in the last year or so, then new ones put in with the new axle. No improvement.

Sorry I did see you write that you did put new ball joints and bearings in as well.
How about snapping a pic or two of the front end of the axle to see how everything looks? Maybe give us a little better idea.

The BAD Influence

Snapped a few pics before heading out this morning. Thanks again for any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_073557.jpg
    IMG_20191122_073557.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20191122_073546.jpg
    IMG_20191122_073546.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20191122_073528.jpg
    IMG_20191122_073528.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20191122_073518.jpg
    IMG_20191122_073518.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 88

JJ151

I haven't had time today to get under the Jeep, but thinking about it all day.
The axle is new, so the axle side track bar attachment point is new, with thick heavy brackets. Again, new track bar. Knuckles carried over, but a new tie rod was put in. Tie rod was in good shape, knuckles seemed good. Just upgraded the tie rod. A new drag link was also put in. It has a high steer drag link with the knuckle drilled out. That all seemed good, but again the issue started with the original puck lift, before the high steer was even put in. Pitman arm has never been taken off. The hole there looked good at the time too. I specifically remember checking the pitman arm and both knuckles during the axle swap. I do not remember looking at or inspecting the axle side track bar mount. But, as I previously stated, I've gone back and checked the torque on all these points.
Again, because of all this being new, and no obvious signs of worn holes, and because the issue started with the first lift, that's what lead me to question the steering box.
I'm not sure, but I've got a feeling that hydro steering won't necessarily fix the underlying problem, only mask it. Plus that's an expensive experiment.
I'm at a loss.

I’ve had a similar problem. Installed a Dynatrac XD60 in Feb. and have severe death wobble now. Dynatrac techs inspected the Jeep at EJS in April and claimed the problem was the stock gear box (2016 JKUR) which only had about 20k miles on it. Long story short I installed a PSC big bore steering gear box, pump, and ram assist. Problem solved right? No. As long as the ram assist is connected I don’t experience death wobble. However, the bolt on the tie rod mount came loose twice. I discovered this because my death wobble returned each time. So as long as ram assist is connected it’s fine but if disconnected I have death wobble. Expensive “fix”.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I’ve had a similar problem. Installed a Dynatrac XD60 in Feb. and have severe death wobble now. Dynatrac techs inspected the Jeep at EJS in April and claimed the problem was the stock gear box (2016 JKUR) which only had about 20k miles on it. Long story short I installed a PSC big bore steering gear box, pump, and ram assist. Problem solved right? No. As long as the ram assist is connected I don’t experience death wobble. However, the bolt on the tie rod mount came loose twice. I discovered this because my death wobble returned each time. So as long as ram assist is connected it’s fine but if disconnected I have death wobble. Expensive “fix”.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Well yea the ram is stopping your death wobble. It’s not fixing the actual cause of the problem. Something else is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom