Steering Problems After Lift

WJCO

Meme King
Jeeeep is right about the adjustment sleeve. I've had it loosen up like that as well. It should look like this:

IMG_4940.jpg

Wheatbackdigger

2.5" budget boost. My guess is your caster is to low. I'd start out by putting it on an alignment rack and go from there. You'll need to purchase additional components if it is low. Caster is not adjustable on a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
2.5" budget boost. My guess is your caster is to low. I'd start out by putting it on an alignment rack and go from there. You'll need to purchase additional components if it is low. Caster is not adjustable on a Jeep.

Yes, not adjustable with stock control arms. The extra components if caster is out of tolerance is new lower control arms.

What is your milage. Bad ball joints etc. may not be noticed as easily with a stock suspension which is why everyone is telling you what and how to check those things. I have 37 inch mud grapplers with a 4 inch backspacing and my Jeep doesn't wander or have any of the symptoms you are describing so don't be quick to blame the tires as it is likely in the suspension somewhere.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
The insides of the factory ball joints are plastic and wear out fast. Maybe look into the Dynatrac heavy duty ones. They will be the last ones you ever need because they are rebuildable. They are a couple hundred dollars but very worth it. I did the Synergy which are very good and a little cheaper because I forgot about the about the Dynatrac ones at the time, so I will have to replace them at some point.

Wheatbackdigger

If your steering got "flighty" after the lift, I'm still going with your caster is out of spec. A budget lift is pretty basic, if everything is torqued back down correctly get it on an alignment rack and post your numbers.

jeeeep

Hooked
before you start throwing more money at it, do the things suggested that cost nothing.

get your alignment checked as suggested - a good alignment shop will check your TRE, ball joints and hubs in the process of the alignment and let you know if you have any issues with those components as well as identify if your caster is off.

Don't just start throwing money at it :thumb:

dshots

Yes, not adjustable with stock control arms. The extra components if caster is out of tolerance is new lower control arms.

What is your milage. Bad ball joints etc. may not be noticed as easily with a stock suspension which is why everyone is telling you what and how to check those things. I have 37 inch mud grapplers with a 4 inch backspacing and my Jeep doesn't wander or have any of the symptoms you are describing so don't be quick to blame the tires as it is likely in the suspension somewhere.
5z uhh

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
before you start throwing more money at it, do the things suggested that cost nothing.

get your alignment checked as suggested - a good alignment shop will check your TRE, ball joints and hubs in the process of the alignment and let you know if you have any issues with those components as well as identify if your caster is off.

This is great advice. I should have said look at the Dynatrac balljoints "IF" that ends up actually being the problem. Sorry about that!

deezus

Remember, alignment shops can only set your "Toe" on lifted vehicles. And i do believe Eddie has a DIY alignment write up that I used but I dont trust my toe settings do I just had a shop do it.
One thing you might check is if you took your rims off your Jeep for the first time, did you take the clips off that hold the rotors on? Just a thought. It's easy to check your ball joints.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JES

I'm pretty sure they are referencing caster adjustment, not toe. Hence the adjustable control arms comment. Caster being negative to factory spec is cause to a flighty loose feeling in the handling of your jeep. Also another symptom is the steering doesn't recenter after competing a turn.

Top Bottom