Steering Problems After Lift

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Not sure what you guys are referring to, but toe is set by adjusting the tie rod. Whether the Jeep is lifted or has adjustable control arms are irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My statement wasn't referring to toe. It was referring to caster which is why I said caster and not toe. Caster can be adjusted with adjustable control arms. If you lift the jeep 3 inches or more, it's recommended to get front lower adjustable control arms on a jk or a jku so that you can dial caster back into spec to eliminate the flighty steering.

fiend

Caught the Bug
My statement wasn't referring to toe. It was referring to caster which is why I said caster and not toe. Caster can be adjusted with adjustable control arms. If you lift the jeep 3 inches or more, it's recommended to get front lower adjustable control arms on a jk or a jku so that you can dial caster back into spec to eliminate the flighty steering.

Sorry, I should have responded directly to the guy who said "alignment shops can only set your 'toe' on lifted vehicles." Confusion abounds....

JES

That is that problem I am having. Will the caster bring off make my steering wheel loose also?

The term "loose" is subjective, but yes. The term most people would use to describe the feeling is flighty, where the jeep just wanders down the road without steering wheel input. A feeling of constanly needing to steer.
I'm pretty sure they are referencing caster adjustment, not toe. Hence the adjustable control arms comment. Caster being negative to factory spec is cause to a flighty loose feeling in the handling of your jeep. Also another symptom is the steering doesn't recenter after competing a turn.

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

TriggaHappy

The term "loose" is subjective, but yes. The term most people would use to describe the feeling is flighty, where the jeep just wanders down the road without steering wheel input. A feeling of constanly needing to steer.

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had a similar issue on an old Lincoln I had a pitman arm replaced on. During the replacement the shop jacked up my steering gear box and that gave me fits trouble shooting the sloppy steering. Ended up replacing the whole front end before we found it. The shop even aligned it like that.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello

I own a 2010 Wrangler Sahara and I recently installed the teraflex budget boost lift with spacers and shock adapters and my steering has become loose. I will be coming around a turn at 45 and while on the curve my tires will turn more when I have not moved the wheel. Also I need to constantly adjust the wheel while driving. Also after a turn my steering wheel will not be straight but my wheels will. I need a solution becuase I can not continue to drive my jeep like this. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this or has anyone else had this issue after installing this Lift??

That is that problem I am having. Will the caster bring off make my steering wheel loose also?

caster being off will make your steering feel flighty, but in general with a 2.5" budget boost you don't have caster issues. usually caster becomes an issue when you go 3.5" or more.

I've helped several friends install budget boosts and caster didn't change enough to make it an issue.

did you adjust and tighten the drag link adjuster so the bolts clamp side lines up with the open seam on the adjustment tube?

did you make any other changes beside what you posted in your beginning post? loosen any other components and forget to tighten them?

I'd also remove the spacers and see if that makes a difference.

if your steering wheel starts in the centered position and after you make a turn it's no longer centered, you have something loose or a damaged steering pump. if your caster was off that much, you'd still end up with a centered steering wheel once you stop.

when you're stationary and turn, do you hear any whining noise? if you center your wheel then turn full left and full right , does the wheel remain centered or has it shifted to off-center?

it's easy to check your caster angle using a $6 magnetic angle finder -this will help:

https://www.wayalife.com/showthread...angler-Front-End-Alignment&p=42391&viewfull=1

Djeep20

Everything is tight. When I turn when stationary the wheel is off center but there is no whining noise. I feel like it is a worn joint. After my Lift my wheel immediately had more play in it then before the lift.

Top Bottom