Steering wheel off center

jesse3638

Hooked
Depends on how badly the sector shaft is twisted as it can make it near impossible to remove from the box. Otherwise, it's definitely something that can be replaced. I don't know if you can get a sector shaft from the dealership though. I've only been able to get them through PSC.

Thanks, I came off the trail with a slightly off center steering wheel and was wondering what could have caused this now what else to check.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I came off the trail with a slightly off center steering wheel and was wondering what could have caused this now what else to check.

If you just came off the trail, I would start by checking your tie-rod as it getting bent is the #1 reason for a steering wheel being off center. Fortunately, that's an easy fix and it won't do any real harm to leave it bent.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you just came off the trail, I would start by checking your tie-rod as it getting bent is the #1 reason for a steering wheel being off center. Fortunately, that's an easy fix and it won't do any real harm to leave it bent.

is it normal for your steering wheel being off center when just coming off the trail eddie? i have run easy greens in the past and not hit my tie rod and it has been slightly off by the time i reconnect.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
is it normal for your steering wheel being off center when just coming off the trail eddie? i have run easy greens in the past and not hit my tie rod and it has been slightly off by the time i reconnect.

Even on an easy trail, flexing your Jeep will work your suspension bolts and that can cause them to loosen up. If you're sure you have not hit your tie rod, I would check your track bar bolts as if they come even slightly lose, they can allow the track bar to shift and that will change your steering position as well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Even on an easy trail, flexing your Jeep will work your suspension bolts and that can cause them to loosen up. If you're sure you have not hit your tie rod, I would check your track bar bolts as if they come even slightly lose, they can allow the track bar to shift and that will change your steering position as well.

ok cool thanks for the advice eddie! i am doing a retorque of all my bolts tomorrow so im sure that will help.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Is your turnbuckle set correctly? Mine wasn't right at one point and that always happened. Make sure it looks like this,

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400168761.777589.jpg

And not this

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400168773.159791.jpg

The clamps should compress at the slit which closes the metal. If the clamps are rotated you won't be tightening anything.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Is your turnbuckle set correctly? Mine wasn't right at one point and that always happened. Make sure it looks like this,

View attachment 83182

And not this

View attachment 83183

The clamps should compress at the slit which closes the metal. If the clamps are rotated you won't be tightening anything.

interesting! i will have to take a look at that tonight so i dont have my jeep at work with me. thanks adam! learned something new today :yup:

was it an easy fix?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
interesting! i will have to take a look at that tonight so i dont have my jeep at work with me. thanks adam! learned something new today :yup:

was it an easy fix?

Just turn the clamps. The clamps are separate from the turnbuckle. When you turn the turnbuckle the clamps can get out of whack.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just turn the clamps. The clamps are separate from the turnbuckle. When you turn the turnbuckle the clamps can get out of whack.

never knew that. i guess if you were really worried about it you could tack weld them in place so they wouldnt rotate?

Top Bottom