Steering wheel vibration? Not death wobble

Mitrig

Did you take rotor clips off? This will do it...I know from experience!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree ahah. I took my front rotor clips off when I had my spacers on now that I'm running a wider tire I took them off and trimmed my steering stop and I've noticed a slight shimmy in my steering wheel at times

bl17z90

Let's not jump to conclusions on what 'may' have caused it. For all we know, the steering problem may have started while you were running wedding related errands around town. :D

I mean the stabalizer got crushed while wheeling. Btw that may not even be the problem we'll just have to see.

My plan is to pull it tomorrow and if it drives exactly the same a d the shock compresses really easilly then I'll know thats it.

Sent from my phone?

bl17z90

What I am asking is woukd it allow a vibration or shimmy

Would there be a mild vibration from normal driving?

It seems to not be as bad on some roads as others?

So my theory is (and tell me if i'm wrong) having vibration is normal and the steering stabalizer's job is to hide that to making driving more comfortable?

Sent from my phone?

Last edited:

jkmadness

Would there be a mild vibration from normal driving?

It seems to not be as bad on some roads as others?

So my theory is (and tell me if i'm wrong) having vibration is normal and the steering stabalizer's job is to hide that to making driving more comfortable?

Sent from my phone?

No, vibration is not normal, and the steering stabilizer has nothing to do with making things more confortable, it is there to dampen sudden steering changes.

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 you should be able to pull the SS and still drive it without any problems if all is correct.

Is it possible you knocked the alignment out a bit?

Also, you still haven't answered when the last time you had the tires balanced - i'd start with the balancing

bl17z90

Just took it for a drive without a ss. Drove exactly the same except it was smoother turning. I kinda like the feel of no SS

Sent from my phone?

bl17z90

I would hate to pay a shop to pull my tires to balance thrm and find out that they are balanced just fine. All of the weights look normal :/

Sent from my phone?

Tackerdown

Banned
Did you try turning the steering wheel back and forth with out actually turning the wheels while someone checks all the joints to see if any look loose.

jkmadness

Just took it for a drive without a ss. Drove exactly the same except it was smoother turning. I kinda like the feel of no SS

Sent from my phone?

Yeah it feels really nice :naw: specially while rock crawling (easiest way to snap a finger or break a wrist with your hands in the wheel):crazyeyes:,put it back on will you please:yup:

bl17z90

Sure Dad :eek: I'll do it tomorrow after work. My buddy is going to drive it with me tomorrow to give me a second hands on opinion

Sent from my phone?

Holeshot

Banned
Have you inspected your tire threads? If they're worn unevenly, it will cause a vibration in the steering, and probably also the rest of the jeep. You know, look at the threads and try to see if there are blocks than are more worn than others.

bl17z90

So after a wheeling trip and about 1000 miles of it not getting sny worse or better i finally found out whats causing this shit.

When my fan is on at full speed it rattles enoughfor the steering wheel to shake. I'll have to look and make sure none of the cknnections are loose.

I figured this out because it happened sitting in the parking lot this morning...

Sent from my phone?

bl17z90

Oh and by the way. The fan is being very inconsistsnt. It came on at 215 degrees went off at 213 and them didn't come back on until igot to 221.", while i was sitting here with the AC on.

Sent from my phone?

Tackerdown

Banned
Oh and by the way. The fan is being very inconsistsnt. It came on at 215 degrees went off at 213 and them didn't come back on until igot to 221.", while i was sitting here with the AC on.

Sent from my phone?

You can check to see if the motor has any chocolate chuck not chocolate . this is a sign of the bearings going out

Tom

Top Bottom