Stock "cage"???

Cjacks95

Banned
I had a trail roll with the stock cage. Everyone was unharmed. Except my buddy who was in the back and undid his seatbelt and landed on his head 😂 hahahahaa held up nice but I had 33s don't know about 35-37s ;)

HDGasser

Drew, Welcome... And HiJacked like a mofo!!! Hahahaha it's all good.

Good info here, I like the idea of welding in a cage, cleaner, closer, stronger with frame tie ins... I have a welder so cost of welding is not an issue. I knew the Cpillar was weld in, wondering if instead of welding in the bolt in part if I could weld in a frame tie in and bolt it all up so I could potentially remove the cage still if need be.

See that teraflex video scares me... Add a hemi, 37's another couple miles an hour and the added weight of a 4 door + armor and other added weight?? That could end very bad, like a windshield frame slammed into your face!:grayno:

One thing I really like about the bolt in is it can be done in a few hours. I'm getting old and lazy... After 30 it's all down hill. :yawn37:

Decisions decisions

Tcdawg

Any gain in going with a Synergy weld in cage setup over a bolt in setup?? Obviously the welding part but strength wise??

I like the design of the PS one myself...

There is a big difference between the bolt in cages and the Synergy weld in cage...frame tie ins. The synergy cage has frame tie ins at the A and B pillars.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think people tend to give the factory roll bars a bum wrap and based on a whole lot of self-imagined nothing. Fact of the matter is, in the 7 years since the JK has been out, I have seen them withstand flops and even rolls surprisingly well. For a vast majority of people and the kind of wheeling they do, it'll be all they need to protect them and their occupants. Would one benefit from the addition of a bolt in sport cage? Of course. Would a weld in kit be better? Well duh! Are they really needed? For some people, yeah, it probably is but, I don't know too many people who actually wheel as hard as they think they do.

David1tontj

Drew, Welcome... And HiJacked like a mofo!!! Hahahaha it's all good.

Good info here, I like the idea of welding in a cage, cleaner, closer, stronger with frame tie ins... I have a welder so cost of welding is not an issue. I knew the Cpillar was weld in, wondering if instead of welding in the bolt in part if I could weld in a frame tie in and bolt it all up so I could potentially remove the cage still if need be.

See that teraflex video scares me... Add a hemi, 37's another couple miles an hour and the added weight of a 4 door + armor and other added weight?? That could end very bad, like a windshield frame slammed into your face!:grayno:

One thing I really like about the bolt in is it can be done in a few hours. I'm getting old and lazy... After 30 it's all down hill. :yawn37:

Decisions decisions

I did a full cage in my old fj40, and I did that very thing... Where it came down to the floor pan I had a plate on top and one on bottom "sandwiching" the tub with four bolts. The bottom plate had more tubing that went straight to the frame, so if I needed I could still unbolt the top portion .. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1380722177.099160.jpg
You can't see what I'm talking about in this pic, but I thought I'd share it anyway!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

Honestly, I think people tend to give the factory roll bars a bum wrap and based on a whole lot of self-imagined nothing. Fact of the matter is, in the 7 years since the JK has been out, I have seen them withstand flops and even rolls surprisingly well. For a vast majority of people and the kind of wheeling they do, it'll be all they need to protect them and their occupants. Would one benefit from the addition of a bolt in sport cage? Of course. Would a weld in kit be better? Well duh! Are they really needed? For some people, yeah, it probably is but, I don't know too many people who actually wheel as hard as they think they do.

Very true...... But, I will say that when I rolled my fj40 I had no idea it was coming.. Wasn't playing on the rocks, wasn't a super off camber trail, wasn't hardcore, I was just dicking around in the small section of sand dunes out at Johnson valley and didn't see a shear cliff..... I tried to turn at the last minute, and I had several feet, but it was sand so it sucked me right over... Last thing I was expecting! I guess I'm just saying that you never know when it's coming. Heck, it could be rolling down the freeway and you try to swerve around something.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very true...... But, I will say that when I rolled my fj40 I had no idea it was coming.. Wasn't playing on the rocks, wasn't a super off camber trail, wasn't hardcore, I was just dicking around...

And, I would be the first to say that's 99% of all flops/rolls I've seen happen just like this - when your guard is down.

...the small section of sand dunes out at Johnson valley and didn't see a shear cliff..... I tried to turn at the last minute, and I had several feet, but it was sand so it sucked me right over... Last thing I was expecting!

Are you saying that you rolled your FJ on the sand dunes? When you rolled, are you saying that a factory JK roll bar would not have protected you?

I guess I'm just saying that you never know when it's coming. Heck, it could be rolling down the freeway and you try to swerve around something.

Contrary to what most people seem to think, this is the primary reason why Jeep Wranglers come with a roll bar.

David1tontj

Are you saying that you rolled your FJ on the sand dunes? When you rolled, are you saying that a factory JK roll bar would not have protected you?

Yes it was on the sand, and I don't know what a factory JK bar would've done. I'm guessing It may have broken the windshield fame or something, but still been enough protection. I was just glad that I had the extra protection when I wasn't thinking I would've needed it. We did a full rotation and ended up back on the wheels. Bent both front fenders, windshield frame, and one rear leaf spring...badly. We straightened as much as we could and drove her home down the freeway dog tracking real bad the whole way! Haha. I think it scared my brother (4x4jesus) more than it scared me because he saw me disappear over the cliff from the top. I think that's the fastest he ever drove his old samurai!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it was on the sand, and I don't know what a factory JK bar would've done. I'm guessing It may have broken the windshield fame or something, but still been enough protection.

And really, that was my only point. The JK factory roll bars would most likely have been enough to protect its occupants in a situation like this.

Haha. I think it scared my brother (4x4jesus) more than it scared me because he saw me disappear over the cliff from the top. I think that's the fastest he ever drove his old samurai!

LOL!! I can only imagine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's link to a thread regarding a Jeep that was wheeling illegally on a ski run and rolled 20 times down it...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?7390-Jeep-accident-in-nj

Granted, the guy's son was ejected (but is okay) and he suffered serious head injuries but, both he and his wife did survive the traumatic rolls and with her coming out okay. Yet another example where the factory roll bar did its job and above and well beyond the normal call of duty.

Link to the article:
http://www.njherald.com/story/22504605/2013/06/05/jeep-driver-has-no-memory-of-mountain-crash

Another thought I've been considering is that the cage itself is adding weight to the high-side of the rig. The added protection could be the final element that causes the roll. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another thought I've been considering is that the cage itself is adding weight to the high-side of the rig. The added protection could be the final element that causes the roll. :thinking:

eh, I wouldn't think enough to matter. Either way, I'd still want a cage. Really, my only point was to put things into perspective. I don't like hype fueled by FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) as it tends to get people to spend more money on their Jeep than they may really need.

eh, I wouldn't think enough to matter. Either way, I'd still want a cage. Really, my only point was to put things into perspective. I don't like hype fueled by FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) as it tends to get people to spend more money on their Jeep than they may really need.

I agree with you on all counts... Just something the over analytically engineer in me was pondering. For me; the cage is a ways down the build list if it happens at all. Since I'm a Dad and wheel with my family I have a little internal struggle going on :yup: (I'm not a fan of the fit around the windshield, especially the lower dash bar.)

HDGasser

Anybody know what happened here??

6D92AA5E-C60A-44AF-8EEF-D54B64B0E025-1247-00000132B27E5FF7_zps8d7f2ed5.jpg

Top Bottom