Stock Tire Carrier Questions

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have you noticed any sagging or wear on your carrier or tailgate?

Dopey

None so far. I do five tire rotation with every oil change and I always check the tail gate for sagging and the carrier for cracks. So far there are neither.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Awesome thank you for sharing your setup

Dopey

Happy to help. If you do decide to got this route I cut the pipe long enough to where it's kind of difficult to get the tire on to the carrier. That way when it's all tightened down the tire is nice and snug.

Dopey84

Happy to help. If you do decide to got this route I cut the pipe long enough to where it's kind of difficult to get the tire on to the carrier. That way when it's all tightened down the tire is nice and snug.

I'm going to give this a try ... Ive got extra pvc laying around so couldn't hurt.. However I think I'm gonna see if the rubber stoppers for a cane/ crutches would fit over the pvc tight enough

Dopey

dirtdonthurt

Definitely need to fill the gap on the tailgate and new offset rims. Tailgate issues seem to be pretty popular. What's scary are all the dealer builds with 35's on 18 inch wheels and no additional tailgate bumpers.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GearHead71

I just extended my isolators today with some washing machine hose from home depot.
IMG_20170215_162542.jpg

IMG_20170215_162547.jpg

IMG_20170215_162958.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dopey84

Although an aftermarket tire carrier would be nice the money just isn't there so I'm trying to make sure I don't need any extra adapters/ spacers other than extending out the isolators I'm putting on my new wheels and tires after work tomorrow so I'm trying to be prepared so I can run my spare tire

Dopey

USMC Wrangler

A 5 1/4" drop drawbar, upside down and no ball installed works great on my stock tire carrier and 35's.

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

I have mine isolated like Mr.Ty. He pointed me in that direction when I upgraded to the 35's and 4.5" backspace wheels. Zero issues on and off road.

Dopey84

A 5 1/4" drop drawbar, upside down and no ball installed works great on my stock tire carrier and 35's.

View attachment 244520

View attachment 244521

I have mine isolated like Mr.Ty. He pointed me in that direction when I upgraded to the 35's and 4.5" backspace wheels. Zero issues on and off road.

Does it hit when closing your tailgate do you remove it before opening ...? Or open and close like normal sorry if these seem like dumb questions just curious

Dopey

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
OP, you have two threads running, with the same question. I merged them. Don't take this the wrong way, because we are all trying to help you, but all the answers you need, are already contained in this thread. Try one out. PVC is cheap. An upside down drop hitch is cheap.

Dopey84

OP, you have two threads running, with the same question. I merged them. Don't take this the wrong way, because we are all trying to help you, but all the answers you need, are already contained in this thread. Try one out. PVC is cheap. An upside down drop hitch is cheap.

Thank you for that..

Dopey

USMC Wrangler

Does it hit when closing your tailgate do you remove it before opening ...? Or open and close like normal sorry if these seem like dumb questions just curious

Dopey

It will open and close with the draw bar installed, but it is difficult. So I do remove the draw bar as I'm opening the tailgate and insert it while closing.

I've only used this on the trail, just to be clear. I don't feel it's needed on pavement because my isolators are extended and very solid.

I did remove the tire carrier from the tailgate to cut the factory third brake light stuff off. When I reinstalled it, I used loctite on the carrier to tailgate hardware. It's 3-4 pages back from the end on my build thread I believe.

Hope that helps!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Dopey84

It will open and close with the draw bar installed, but it is difficult. So I do remove the draw bar as I'm opening the tailgate and insert it while closing.

I've only used this on the trail, just to be clear. I don't feel it's needed on pavement because my isolators are extended and very solid.

I did remove the tire carrier from the tailgate to cut the factory third brake light stuff off. When I reinstalled it, I used loctite on the carrier to tailgate hardware. It's 3-4 pages back from the end on my build thread I believe.

Hope that helps!

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

That was the exact details I was looking for thank you

Dopey

Top Bottom