Stock Tire Carrier Questions

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Good info from USMCWrangler, there. Mine was fine on pavement. Rough, rocky roads in Colorado, made it have a bumping sound I did not feel comfortable with. That's why I've been recommending something to support the bottom of the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dopey84

Ask OverlanderJK how long it can be done.

OverlanderJK hopefully you will chime in... I've been on my stock wheels with 35s for about 6months no issues I'm sure it would be the same if properly isolated and as others mentioned support the bottom with the drop hitch flip...

Dopey

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've been running stock carrier with 35's and 37's for over 4 years. The last year has been without proper isolators. Some of the welds have broken and cracked recently not being properly secured but the tailgate hasn't fallen off.

The first three years were no issues. I've been too lazy to fix it the last year and haven't cared to do so. Proving that the tire won't just fall over.

woof359

stock wheel

Im running 315 x 16 on stock wheel, needed to update the stop light to clear the tire but other than that it fits fine tire.jpg

woof359

scrap

just a piece of stock metal from Lowes, 1/8 thick strap , drilled 4 holes and tapered the OEM holder to clear the rubber tire, I got less than 5 bucks in it and just a couple hours worth of cutting and painting

Last edited:

Dopey84

A 5 1/4" drop drawbar, upside down and no ball installed works great on my stock tire carrier and 35's.

View attachment 244520

View attachment 244521

I have mine isolated like Mr.Ty. He pointed me in that direction when I upgraded to the 35's and 4.5" backspace wheels. Zero issues on and off road.

So I went ahead and am gonna try this no joke it is damn tight getting the hitch in... I ended up losening the lugs on the spare than worked the hitch in and than retightened the lugs back down tight that's solid for sure!

USMC Wrangler

So I went ahead and am gonna try this no joke it is damn tight getting the hitch in... I ended up losening the lugs on the spare than worked the hitch in and than retightened the lugs back down tight that's solid for sure!

Glad it's solid enough for you! It might be easier to have the tailgate slightly open, close the tailgate while inserting the drawbar into the receiver. To open, pull the pin and let the drawbar come out as you open the tailgate. I imagine different tire sizes will react differently too. My spare is a Cooper STT with some miles on it, just for reference.

Dopey84

I was thinking of letting some air out to help with the process it is a brand new toyo open country at2 xtreme 35 12.50 17 so I can definitely see this as more a trail solution

USMC Wrangler

I was thinking of letting some air out to help with the process it is a brand new toyo open country at2 xtreme 35 12.50 17 so I can definitely see this as more a trail solution

That's a good idea too. Yeah, like I said, so far I've only used this on the trail. I check my carrier and tailgate 1-2 times a week and so far no sign of any problems.

Top Bottom