Strike force central command vs. painless vs ?

Ddays

Hooked
Never would of guessed you did it by yourself. 🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey, I like how that setup doesn't take a lot of space and can be formed around anything that may get in the way. Good job! 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

II know, pretty sweet, huh? You oughta see the awesome job I did wiring up my rear lights on my EVO skins. It's more incredible that this! I do consultation work in case you're interested.

Are you supposed to cut the RED WIRE or the BLUE WIRE ???
Only the RED ones! But make sure you hook up this BLACK bastard wire to your RED (positive) terminal or your fan won't work. If you do that you MAY end up buying a new fan only to find out that it doesn't work either. Then you give up and take it to the dealer who tells you you're a dumbass and no, we won't take the fan back because its an electrical part.

battery.jpg

Five-N9ne

At one time Painless was pretty good but I feel like they’ve been left behind. With all the other options available now, I don’t even bring them up in conversations about builds. In fact, I’ve removed 2 of them this year when customers traded up to something more sophisticated. If you want a good deal on a used one, let me know. I wouldn’t buy it though, lol.

Interesting to hear. I’ve had the exact opposite experience with probably 8-10 different Painless harnesses.

Five-N9ne

Can you elaborate?

2 Painless harnesses in two Novas I had with 360 swaps, one in my D100, a Trail Rocker in my old ZJ, two or three harnesses in my friends vehicles, one in my 5.9 ZJ, and one in my dad’s 396 Caprice. Zero issues, install was a matter of hours with no errors, and the Novas are still running around somewhere up here with the same harnesses and motors.

The only reason I took the Trail Rocker out of my 5.9 was real estate. I needed the space where the fuse/relay block was for a methanol tank

Exodus 4x4

Interesting to hear. I’ve had the exact opposite experience with probably 8-10 different Painless harnesses.

Yeah and color tv was awesome, but now we have 4K. It’s all about perspective and if you are happy with what’s worked for you then by all means keep doing it. Given the choices available nowadays I’d say that Painless, while a reliable system, is hardly the best system available. It takes up a lot of real estate in the already crowded JK engine bay, whereas other systems have a smaller footprint. There’s systems available that are totally wireless and controlled via Bluetooth and for anyone to argue against that in the 21st century is being ridiculous.

Five-N9ne

Yeah and color tv was awesome, but now we have 4K. It’s all about perspective and if you are happy with what’s worked for you then by all means keep doing it. Given the choices available nowadays I’d say that Painless, while a reliable system, is hardly the best system available. It takes up a lot of real estate in the already crowded JK engine bay, whereas other systems have a smaller footprint. There’s systems available that are totally wireless and controlled via Bluetooth and for anyone to argue against that in the 21st century is being ridiculous.

Footprint isn’t everything.

That being said, I still think Painless is the better harness. I have reasons why, you have reasons you don’t think they are, it is what it is.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya

BaddestCross

Footprint isn’t everything.

That being said, I still think Painless is the better harness. I have reasons why, you have reasons you don’t think they are, it is what it is.

Painless is a great company. If I needed a new harness made for an old Nova that'd be the first place I call. The problem with their switch box is that it really isn't painless (see what I did there? 😎).

The Painless system requires you to run a shitload of wires into the cab...3 for each switch at least if I remember correctly. Really all they've done is put all the relays (and fuses?) into a box for you and run the wires out of it.

If you look at Switch Pros, sPOD, hell even Apollointech, they have a nicely mounted panel that's out of the way under the hood, you run 2 wires to the battery, and one bundled wiring harness to their switch panel in the cab that you just plug said harness into. It takes about 15 minutes to install and then you just have to run your 2 accessory wires to the source panel and you're done.

That being said, I'm leary of the setups that only rely on Bluetooth because of potential interference and possible reliability issues that I wouldn't want to worry about, but they are out there and are stupid simple to install.

It's nothing against Painless as a company or solid product, but in this space, they've fallen behind.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Five-N9ne

Painless is a great company. If I needed a new harness made for an old Nova that'd be the first place I call. The problem with their switch box is that it really isn't painless (see what I did there? [emoji41]).

The Painless system requires you to run a shitload of wires into the cab...3 for each switch at least if I remember correctly. Really all they've done is put all the relays (and fuses?) into a box for you and run the wires out of it.

If you look at Switch Pros, sPOD, hell even Apollointech, they have a nicely mounted panel that's out of the way under the hood, you run 2 wires to the battery, and one bundled wiring harness to their switch panel in the cab that you just plug said harness into. It takes about 15 minutes to install and then you just have to run your 2 accessory wires to the source panel and you're done.

That being said, I'm leary of the setups that only rely on Bluetooth because of potential interference and possible reliability issues that I wouldn't want to worry about, but they are out there and are stupid simple to install.

It's nothing against Painless as a company or solid product, but in this space, they've fallen behind.

--

Same on the Bluetooth.

You must be talking a different Painless switchbox than me. The one I have currently was fully prewired, switches and all, with a bus between the switch panel and the block so it’s possible to run through the firewall. Hot, ground, wire the accessories and done.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Painless is a great company. If I needed a new harness made for an old Nova that'd be the first place I call. The problem with their switch box is that it really isn't painless (see what I did there? [emoji41]).

--

Actually the Painless wiring through the firewall to the dash panel (or wherever you mount it) is prebundled and not hard to route.

I agree that the Painless main box with the relays etc is larger than probably necessary and kind of a PITA to mount in the engine bay.

I’m not jazzed about wireless / Bluetooth systems. Yeah they’re great when they work, but sometimes they don’t. I prefer reliable simplicity to complicated flash.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have zero interest in Bluetooth or phone control capabilities for my lights and accessories. IMO, that shit is for the car show crowd.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have zero interest in Bluetooth or phone control capabilities for my lights and accessories. IMO, that shit is for the car show crowd.

Recently got new pool equipment. Heater, lights, pump. Bluetooth enabled. I can turn on my pool lights with my phone. It’s all going that way.

Five-N9ne

I like my dumb, barely-OBD2, mostly mechanical vehicle. All this shit with people managing to hack cars through their Bluetooth is not something I want to deal with. I’d still be running a carb if I could get away with it emissions-wise. 5 more years and it might be a possibility

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Recently got new pool equipment. Heater, lights, pump. Bluetooth enabled. I can turn on my pool lights with my phone. It’s all going that way.

And if the Bluetooth connection or signal goes, you can’t operate any of it. If a fuse blows on an accessory wired to my central command, I can still use everything else until I can replace that one fuse.

Don’t get me wrong, I use Bluetooth on a daily basis for things like my computer mouse, keyboard, phone, iPad, etc., etc. I just don’t want it for my vehicle accessories.

fiend

Caught the Bug
And if the Bluetooth connection or signal goes, you can’t operate any of it. If a fuse blows on an accessory wired to my central command, I can still use everything else until I can replace that one fuse.

Don’t get me wrong, I use Bluetooth on a daily basis for things like my computer mouse, keyboard, phone, iPad, etc., etc. I just don’t want it for my vehicle accessories.

Agreed. I have the old school Painless on my Jeep. The Bluetooth pool stuff was the landlord’s choice. I’m not complaining about that.

BaddestCross

Same on the Bluetooth.

You must be talking a different Painless switchbox than me. The one I have currently was fully prewired, switches and all, with a bus between the switch panel and the block so it’s possible to run through the firewall. Hot, ground, wire the accessories and done.

Actually the Painless wiring through the firewall to the dash panel (or wherever you mount it) is prebundled and not hard to route.

I agree that the Painless main box with the relays etc is larger than probably necessary and kind of a PITA to mount in the engine bay.

I’m not jazzed about wireless / Bluetooth systems. Yeah they’re great when they work, but sometimes they don’t. I prefer reliable simplicity to complicated flash.
Fair enough. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else or maybe an older model.

--

duktrx

Painless is a great company. If I needed a new harness made for an old Nova that'd be the first place I call. The problem with their switch box is that it really isn't painless (see what I did there? 😎).

--
Must have had the wrong harness. I literally installed mine in an hour, with one arm. I had elbow surgery and was going stir crazy after being in the hospital for 10 days. One bundle to pass through the firewall, and a connector just inside the firewall that connects to the switch panel wiring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m having a hard time believing people are that unhappy with the painless harness they are actually removing them. And for what reason? Cause they are hard to install? Well the thing is already in so why triple the work by removing and installing something else? What is it specifically that people are unhappy about?

Having installed a few painless performance wiring harnesses (non jeeps) myself I think they make great stuff and are easy to use.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Must have had the wrong harness. I literally installed mine in an hour, with one arm. I had elbow surgery and was going stir crazy after being in the hospital for 10 days. One bundle to pass through the firewall, and a connector just inside the firewall that connects to the switch panel wiring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

That’s what I was thinking. It was easy.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sounds like people want the Bluetooth and other modern stuff that Painless doesn’t offer.

Top Bottom