Sunray 109 Thoughts

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Figured I would get some opinions here as I think about buying one. Does anyone have one of these Sunray 109 trailers or have been around one? My Dad, youngest son (17 year old) and myself are doing a trip in the Gladiator to Yellow Stone and to the Redwoods from Michigan in August and I want to stay in or close to the parks as possible. I don't plan on doing the Rubicon so the trailer doesn't need to be super flexible. The model I'm going to go check out has a RTT for the boy and Dad and I will stay in the camper. I'm looking for simple and this seems to check mark that box. Pro's / Con's or other options if you have any.
1708020956856.png 1708020994573.png

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like a nice trailer and giving it a quick look online, the dry weight of one isn't too bad. Is this your first trailer? If so, I might recommend that you try and find a used one as you've got to know, any trailer, RV or boat WILL loose a lot of it's value the second you take the keys.

If you're going to pull it loaded, I might recommend trailer brakes even though you really won't "need" it for something this light. Being that you'll be driving through the mountains, having them does make life easier. Otherwise, not having a bathroom is always a bummer but if you don't see it as a deal breaker, it probably isn't worth mentioning.

jeeeep

Hooked
Figured I would get some opinions here as I think about buying one. Does anyone have one of these Sunray 109 trailers or have been around one? My Dad, youngest son (17 year old) and myself are doing a trip in the Gladiator to Yellow Stone and to the Redwoods from Michigan in August and I want to stay in or close to the parks as possible. I don't plan on doing the Rubicon so the trailer doesn't need to be super flexible. The model I'm going to go check out has a RTT for the boy and Dad and I will stay in the camper. I'm looking for simple and this seems to check mark that box. Pro's / Con's or other options if you have any.
View attachment 402297 View attachment 402298
I looked at pretty much the same setup, I didn't mind inside the trailer but being aged and heavy, climbing into the RTT felt sketchy for an old guy lol

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Quick Google search shows $14k (not sure if that includes the tent) and to me, that’s way too much. If it’s just for that trip I would buy a 2006-2012 camper like 16-24 feet. Probably get that for less than half the cost, the rest would pay for your trip and you would have a bathroom.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Quick Google search shows $14k (not sure if that includes the tent) and to me, that’s way too much. If it’s just for that trip I would buy a 2006-2012 camper like 16-24 feet. Probably get that for less than half the cost, the rest would pay for your trip and you would have a bathroom.
Yeah, that $14k price tag is why I recommended getting a used one. If you really think you'll pull that thing off road, the higher clearance is nice to have but only if it's rutted out and rocky enough to need and most everything in a National Park would be just super easy dirt roads. You can literally get much nicer used trailers for less than that. Another option would be to rent one. There are lot's of places near bigger attractions where you can drive out to them and rent there.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah, that $14k price tag is why I recommended getting a used one. If you really think you'll pull that thing off road, the higher clearance is nice to have but only if it's rutted out and rocky enough to need and most everything in a National Park would be just super easy dirt roads. You can literally get much nicer used trailers for less than that. Another option would be to rent one. There are lot's of places near bigger attractions where you can drive out to them and rent there.
Yup. Good ideas. Our RV was more than 50% off new price when we bought it and it was in perfect condition and three years old.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
This will probably be with me for a bit. I do short trips up north and to the smokeys a few times a year. I understand buying used but I'm in a place to where I don't need to or want to fix someone else's problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This will probably be with me for a bit. I do short trips up north and to the smokeys a few times a year. I understand buying used but I'm in a place to where I don't need to or want to fix someone else's problem.
Is this your first trailer? If so, I would still recommend at least renting for this first time and if possible, this one that you're looking at. I say this only because it'll give you a chance to feel it out and determine if it's really something you'll want for a bit. I've known lots of people who've bought a trailer or RV only to realize soon after that it was too big, too small or had stuff they didn't want or would have wanted.

Also, when it comes to trailers and RV's, don't kid yourself, there are a LOT of problems you can encounter right off the showroom floor. Sometimes, the best ones are the ones that got fixed under someone else's time and money.

Just trying to save you some time, money and headaches down the road.

Mrs Trout and I have tested out so many dang trailers in the last few years. Every time concluding. It’s just not the type of exploring/camping we enjoy. More often than not. Camp is 50-couple hundred miles apart from day to day. And having to return to or keep the trailer in tow the entire time doesn’t sound appealing.

Honestly. Giving sprinter vans a hard look lately.

But will most likely keep on trucking with backpacking gear in the back of a wrangler. 👍
That’s a sweet trailer though! One I’d consider if in the market. Pretty pricey tho

It is safest to buy a trailer model which has been manufactured for a long time. There are many design or manufacturing defects in latest models which have not been proven by the test of time. Things like handles falling off, leaks, etc.

do they list that on their website? I used to camp Yellowstone in a ground tent when I was younger, we called them "bear fruit rollup"
I’d imagine it’s on their websites if they even have websites.

I noticed the signs when we traveled through there back in 2016.

Top Bottom