Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

David1tontj

Look at Greg's post from KOH. He said there line kept snapping from the heat of hard pulls. I think this is what the op is talking about

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I read that last night. Possibly that winch gets hotter than most? Mine has done several back to back full pulls before and I haven't ever had a problem... Then again, Ramsey is the choice of professionals!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I read that last night. Possibly that winch gets hotter than most? Mine has done several back to back full pulls before and I haven't ever had a problem... Then again, Ramsey is the choice of professionals!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

i think evotj has the comp warn winch so its a faster pull then a winch we would run on our rigs. since it has a greater line pull speed maybe thats why it overheated

David1tontj

i think evotj has the comp warn winch so its a faster pull then a winch we would run on our rigs. since it has a greater line pull speed maybe thats why it overheated

That's a really good point! I bet you're right!

Army_Vet

Banned

Nobody said the comp winch overheated. Some winches dissipate heat differently. The op said that in the original post. He also said when too much heat is dissipated through the drum this is when you run into problems with synth line. I think the evotj story illustrates this just as he was describing. Anyway I think as many others stated the benefits out way the negatives. I think he was just trying to make people aware of it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nobody said the comp winch overheated. Some winches dissipate heat differently. The op said that in the original post. He also said when too much heat is dissipated through the drum this is when you run into problems with synth line. I think the evotj story illustrates this just as he was describing. Anyway I think as many others stated the benefits out way the negatives. I think he was just trying to make people aware of it.

yea i didnt mean to say overheated it was just the first thing that came to my mind while tryong to work and read lol i was saying to David that they were having issues with evotj because of how many fast hard pulls they did causing the line to fail. the drum heat in those pulls was to much for it.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Yep, you got it!

David1tontj

yea i didnt mean to say overheated it was just the first thing that came to my mind while tryong to work and read lol i was saying to David that they were having issues with evotj because of how many fast hard pulls they did causing the line to fail. the drum heat in those pulls was to much for it.

And that's exactly what I thought you were saying. I didn't think you meant that it actually overheated either.. Rather, that it got hot enough to weaken the rope because it's so fast. We're all on the same page here.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
And that's exactly what I thought you were saying.

lol thanks for understanding what i ment the first time, i have been up for 6 hours already but still feel like i need more coffee lol

904Jeep

So would it be safe to assume that a winch that is sold with the option of a steel or synthetic line would be safe to switch from steel to synthetic?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So would it be safe to assume that a winch that is sold with the option of a steel or synthetic line would be safe to switch from steel to synthetic?

You know what they say about assuming right? ;) I'd ask the manufacturer where the brake is located. Is it outside or inside the drum. If they say inside, then you know it wasn't designed for synthetic. If it's outside, you're okay.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Also, another concern besides just heat is the drum construction itself. This image is from an aluminum drum that was upgraded from steel to synthetic. The cast aluminum drum couldn't handle the ropes push on the drum flange and BOOM -the rope won. So here's whats going on: the slippery rope won't stack on itself very well, instead it wants to dig down between layers. That digging down puts a load on the drum flanges and when it gets too high a load - pop! Off comes the flange.

LT-Aluminum-drum2_large.gif

GCM 2

Look at Greg's post from KOH. He said there line kept snapping from the heat of hard pulls. I think this is what the op is talking about

You are exactly correct by assuming that. Prior to us snapping the synthetic line repeatedly (4 times) on Chocolate Thunder, we were doing some really hard pulls, lots of them, up Aftershock. Many of those pulls were when we had only three tires (rear passenger tire was nonexistent, we only had a beadlock) and were winching up waterfalls. The synthetic line had taken far too much heat and abrasive abuse up and over rocks, but these were all extreme race conditions while on the clock. I would hope that in the average weekend scenario on the trail, guys would take far more precaution than we do during a race. We are professionals, safety is #2 (maybe 3) on our list of concerns ;) That last statement is not to be taken seriously, however safety is probably #2.

For all those following this thread, I still stand by synthetic winch rope versus steel. Not certain if there will be video of it when the winch line snapped the first time on Chocolate Thunder, but it actually hits my leg. And just like synthetic rope is supposed to do, it did not store kinetic energy, and pretty much just dropped to the ground after it hit my leg with the force of a pillow. Although the gasps from the crowd were pretty cool when it happened!

Also, another concern besides just heat is the drum construction itself. This image is from an aluminum drum that was upgraded from steel to synthetic. The cast aluminum drum couldn't handle the ropes push on the drum flange and BOOM -the rope won. So here's whats going on: the slippery rope won't stack on itself very well, instead it wants to dig down between layers. That digging down puts a load on the drum flanges and when it gets too high a load - pop! Off comes the flange.

If the drum was aluminum, that is probably not a quality winch :thinking: I would argue the point that steel would have done the same thing to the drum. The only time a winch line stacks neatly side to side and on top of each wrap is when you are re-winding and guiding line by hand in a driveway after a day on the trail. In all my years of winching I have never seen steel or synthetic wrap neatly on it's own during a recovery, because there is no time to be concerned with neat wraps, its about the recovery at that point. Steel sucks down between wraps just as easily as synthetic. Also, once that steel line kinks or flat spots, you will always have trouble trying to neatly wrap it back on the spool. In fact I will just say from personal experience that it is virtually impossible to re-wrap a steel cable neatly onto a spool after the cable has been bent, kinked, flat spotted without risk of having a hole in the wraps that will suck the line into and pinch it so tight that you will have to use the weight of the vehicle to pull it back out and off the spool.

For me, steel winch rope still had just so many negative qualities working against it for use on the trail.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thanks Greg. I hope no one following along thinks I'm trying to dissuade anyone from going with a synthetic line for their winch. That certainly wasn't what I was aiming for anyway.

I just want everyone to be informed and safe out there. I for one appreciate your first hand accounts and sharing of your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Thanks Greg. I hope no one following along thinks I'm trying to dissuade anyone from going with a synthetic line for their winch. That certainly wasn't what I was aiming for anyway.

I just want everyone to be informed and safe out there. I for one appreciate your first hand accounts and sharing of your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You are welcome! I think this thread is awesome, because we can always learn something. The photo you posted of the winch capstan spool is worth it's weight in gold, everyone needs to see stuff like this so they can understand the results/effects of using equipment. At least we are having a deeper than usual discussion on a fairly regular topic. I am by no means trying to trump anyone else's knowledge. Case in point; now because of Mel Wade, up until Thursday's race I had never even considered using the beadlock ring as the point to attach a hi-lift jack (I am pretty sure a few thousand people also learned that too that day). Hopefully because of all the different experiences and points of few here, forum members can learn from the thread you started. :rock:

Army_Vet

Banned
Thank you Greg for you account. Also for giving it your all during the race. I was pulling for you guys

Sent from my iPod thingy using WAYALIFE mobile app

Steel Rain

Which Synthetic Winchline?

Spydura, Viking or Masterpull? Which in your opinion is the best bang for the buck? :thinking: Replacing 5/16"x 125' with 3/8"x 100'.

GCM 2

Spydura, Viking or Masterpull? Which in your opinion is the best bang for the buck? :thinking: Replacing 5/16"x 125' with 3/8"x 100'.

If you can afford it, Masterpull is the ultimate.......But best bang for the buck goes to Viking winch lines. Viking is a great quality high end line, but still fairly affordable and last for years of hard duty use.

Steel Rain

If you can afford it, Masterpull is the ultimate.......But best bang for the buck goes to Viking winch lines. Viking is a great quality high end line, but still fairly affordable and last for years of hard duty use.

Thanks for your input:)

Steel Rain

Trigger Pulled

Pulled the trigger on 3/8" x 100' Black Viking Winch Line about an hour ago. Masterpull was double the price and I could not justify that:)

SilverBack

Do you use Steel or Synthetic Winch line and why? Pros and Cons for each, please.

I am wondering why everyone chose the type of winch line they use and the Pros and Cons they have come across personally. Thanks!

Top Bottom