Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run both... The main reason I like synthetic is because it doesn't get damaged when it runs itself over on the spool.. When I had steel, I winched sideways and it kinked the steel. Later that day I had flopped on my side and while winching myself upright, my cable snapped at that weak point, and I dropped back onto my side...

I replaced it with synthetic because I was pissed.. This was about 9-10 years ago, and I've been running the same winch rope ever since.. I broke the rope about 2 years ago and just shortened it.. Just like they said, Chinese finger trap and it's all better..

I know that tow trucks and cranes use cable, and that works for them, because the cable never has a chance to run itself over on the spool, but with off-roading, you almost never have a perfectly straight pull- putting you at risk of linking your cable on the spool... Not to mention it is a lot easier to keep a tight spool of rope- not so with wire.

Also don't need gloves with rope, and one of my favorite things about rope- you can spool off a bunch and throw it to your spotter... This is just cool..

At the end of the day, I would not think any less of a winch with wire on it, as long as you are aware of its weaknesses and use care when working with it...

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Yup, all this ^^^ :yup:

espi

I emailed WARN about which I should use, and they said based on being on the coast with lots of winter road salt as well as bringing the Jeep on the beach I should use synthetic.

Does anyone in the northeast want to share about long term with either?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rottenbelly

I work around 1 1/8 steel and synthetic lines all day. I will take synthetic any time. Stronger and A lot safer than it's equally size counter part.
Ours gets wet and it's out in the weather all day every day. Usually last about 2+ years of heavy duty use.
To me its a no brainer.......synthetic.
It's helps keep our 12000 HP boat attached to 40-56 barges.
3ADBEC5D-9C4D-4173-A366-750952F0717E-6881-0000073B6F44DB57.jpg

GCM 2

I work around 1 1/8 steel and synthetic lines all day. I will take synthetic any time. Stronger and A lot safer than it's equally size counter part.
Ours gets wet and it's out in the weather all day every day. Usually last about 2+ years of heavy duty use.
To me its a no brainer.......synthetic.
It's helps keep our 12000 HP boat attached to 40-56 barges.
3ADBEC5D-9C4D-4173-A366-750952F0717E-6881-0000073B6F44DB57.jpg

I tend to stay out of the winch line pissing contest because like most comparison type questions, input is usually based on hearsay and Internet stories passed on through forum experts. Personally I have run synthetic lines since they were made available for vehicle winches soley because of their actual proven performance in Rottenbelly's line of work. For 99% of you out there, Rottenbelly has the info and examples you should be paying attention to. In the world of ropes (natural fiber, steel and synthetic) and rigging (shackles, clevis', block and tackle, pulleys, etc) the shipping and maritime industry is the origin of every piece of of proven, and new, technology. The maritime industry is also the place that all rigging principles, standards and certification comes from, which is then borrowed by every other industry, to include the military. If you need proof of what type of line is more used and trusted by professionals who rig stuff for a living, visit a ship yard, the great lakes or big waterway pushing and towing barges.

Thanks Rottenbelly! :rock:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to stay out of the winch line pissing contest because like most comparison type questions, input is usually based on hearsay and Internet stories passed on through forum expersts. Personally I have run synthetic lines since they were made available for vehicle winches soley because of their actual proven performance in Rottenbelly's line of work. For 99% of you out there, Rottenbelly has the info and examples you should be paying attention to. In the world of ropes (natural fiber, steel and synthetic) and rigging (shackles, clevis', block and tackle, pulleys, etc) the shipping and maritime industry is the origin of every piece of of proven, and new, technology. The maritime industry is also the place that all rigging principles, standards and certification comes from, which is then borrowed by every other industry, to include the military. If you need proof of what type of line is more used and trusted by professionals who rig stuff for a living, visit a ship yard, the great lakes or big waterway pushing and towing barges.

Thanks Rottenbelly! :rock:

Well that's an interesting way of putting it and to be quite honest, one that I had never considered before. Thanks for shedding that bit of light on me :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

Well that's an interesting way of putting it and to be quite honest, one that I had never considered before. Thanks for shedding that bit of light on me :crazyeyes:

You are quite welcome! In the Offroad world, Masterpull and Viking are widely regarded as the best two choices for wheelers. Here is a little excerpt from the history of Viking lines and how the technology bleads over from one industry to another.

Welcome to Viking Offroad where the history begins with two Icelandic brothers.

Jón and Thór both grew up in Iceland, where the Jónsson family lead the fishing gear industry and later Washington, and Alaska totaling more than 70 years of experience.* After moving to the USA in 1976 the Jónsson family continued leadership in the fishing industry and in 1994 Jón Jónsson went on to acquire Gourock, a 272 year old company which made ropes, sails and fishing gear. *After 12 years as an architect with an engineering background, Thór recently transitioned toward his passion of the automotive world.

There is a long Jónsson family heritage of four wheeling and overland expeditions back in the old country, with hundreds of square miles of arctic desert, rocks, rivers and glaciers for offroading. * Now in the USA from the mountains of Washington State to the deserts of California the Jónsson brothers continue the tradition and enjoyment of four wheeling and overland journeys.

Jón Jónsson founded winchline.com as a spin-off company from its parent company Gourock to address the need for high quality recovery gear and great service to the offroad enthusiast. *About the same time Thór Jónsson founded Viking Offroad to design high quality aftermarket parts for 4x4’s.* The brothers worked closely together developing the full range of recovery gear using the best materials and craftsmanship available..

jk noob

Once you have seen a cable snap and go thru a windshield and thru a passenger headrest there is no longer a question about which one to put on your jeep.

I'm not a big supporter of metal rope either, however I am a supporter of common sense. If you are pulling something the size of an F350 with a line thats rated for a vehicle the size of a Prius at best, something has to give. All because someone wants to save a buck at the checkout line (beer money). Wether you use metal or synthetic, spend the money for higher rated line, IMO.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Swapping Synthetic Line for Steel

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not too informed on all things regarding winches, but I found some information that I thought might be useful to others so I wanted to share.

I've heard others on this forum make comments about switching their steel winch line out for synthetic. I was trying to find more information about this swap thinking that all it takes is a new synthetic line and swapping a roller fairlead for a hawse fairlead. Wrong! :eek:

"Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope. In addtion, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside certain drums exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Some manufacturers will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator." - Superwinch website (slightly edited)

Here's another quote from the Jeep Jamboree site - "Two facts work against a lot of winches in switching from steel cable to synthetic rope.

Fact 1) Most winches have the brake for the winch inside the winch drum. And just like the brakes on your truck, this brake can create heat when it operates. The result — heat gets to your new rope.

Fact 2) Dyneema (the most popular synthetic rope out there) has a critical temperature of 150 degrees F where degradation of the fibers (strength loss) begins.​

I hope this information is useful to everyone and make sure you contact your winch manufacturer to confirm that the brake and drum is satisfactory for synthetic line before making the switch. :thumb:

GCM 2

There are still more reasons for me to not run steel. I'll be sticking with my synthetic line ;)

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
There are still more reasons for me to not run steel. I'll be sticking with my synthetic line ;)

Oh, without a doubt Greg, the benefits to synthetic should go without saying. Hopefully though, this might help some who've already bought a steel line winch and are thinking of upgrading.

Benny

Unless you power out the entire length of rope instead of free spooling it out, the brake wont heat the drum up.

F-asia

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not too informed on all things regarding winches, but I found some information that I thought might be useful to others so I wanted to share.

I've heard others on this forum make comments about switching their steel winch line out for synthetic. I was trying to find more information about this swap thinking that all it takes is a new synthetic line and swapping a roller fairlead for a hawse fairlead. Wrong! :eek:

"Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope. In addtion, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside certain drums exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Some manufacturers will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator." - Superwinch website (slightly edited)

Here's another quote from the Jeep Jamboree site - "Two facts work against a lot of winches in switching from steel cable to synthetic rope.

Fact 1) Most winches have the brake for the winch inside the winch drum. And just like the brakes on your truck, this brake can create heat when it operates. The result — heat gets to your new rope.

Fact 2) Dyneema (the most popular synthetic rope out there) has a critical temperature of 150 degrees F where degradation of the fibers (strength loss) begins.​

I hope this information is useful to everyone and make sure you contact your winch manufacturer to confirm that the brake and drum is satisfactory for synthetic line before making the switch. :thumb:

How much you want for your old Synthetic line? I just took off my steel cable because it got all kinked up and the end broke off the winch so the cable didnt reel in when i was using the winch. lol

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
How much you want for your old Synthetic line? I just took off my steel cable because it got all kinked up and the end broke off the winch so the cable didnt reel in when i was using the winch. lol

That sucks! I actually have steel on my winch now. I was considering upgrading to synthetic down the line once funds permitted, but then I found out about this. Just be wary about buying used winch line.

Elusive

That sucks! I actually have steel on my winch now. I was considering upgrading to synthetic down the line once funds permitted, but then I found out about this. Just be wary about buying used winch line.

we have been putting synthetic line on winches for many years. I have never overheated a winch except when winching the entire length of line 3 times in a row pulling through 4 feet of mud... and that had nothing to do with the synthetic line.
look at winches from the manufactures. do you think the ones with synthetic line are different?

Army_Vet

Banned
we have been putting synthetic line on winches for many years. I have never overheated a winch except when winching the entire length of line 3 times in a row pulling through 4 feet of mud... and that had nothing to do with the synthetic line.
look at winches from the manufactures. do you think the ones with synthetic line are different?

I don't think he meant the syn line contributed to heat. He is saying heat effects the durability of the line.

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Maybe my winch just doesn't get hot, but I've had synthetic line for 10 or 11 years and haven't been affected by this. And I winch somewhat regularly. You're not wheeling hard enough if you don't end up pulling cable!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Army_Vet

Banned
Maybe my winch just doesn't get hot, but I've had synthetic line for 10 or 11 years and haven't been affected by this. And I winch somewhat regularly. You're not wheeling hard enough if you don't end up pulling cable!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Look at Greg's post from KOH. He said there line kept snapping from the heat of hard pulls. I think this is what the op is talking about

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom