Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line Cable

WJCO

Meme King
All of the above is funny. Let's assume I am buying the great warn winch. Now how about which one.

Warn is good all around. I have heard that the VR series are made in China. I haven't heard of any other models being made there.

As far as steel or synthetic, pros/cons to each. :

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...ch-line-and-why-Pros-and-Cons-for-each-please

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?470-Synthetic-vs-Steel-Winch-Line

EDIT: My primary reason for synthetic is weight. Second reason is safer if it breaks.

geberhard

Douchebag
to the OP, what type of trails do you do, and wheeling style? A lot of mud, dirt or rockls? Although I normally run synt rope, for rocks wire is a great way to go, less maintenance, and although it frays will last well and survive rocks better. I have run different Warns, and Ramsey, and have been runningteh new gen SRC winches without any issues, and very dependable so far (knowk on wood). I had two Warns failing (one motor , one was the heat on teh terminals), but if price was equal Warn is a great setup. Avoid however their POS Powerplant models.

Good luck!

WJCO

Meme King
All you need to do is use a winch ONCE and you will see WHY you need to get a higher quality winch and stay away from the budget minded options. My wife was at first upset with me regarding the cost of my Warn winch, but after I used it to get our Jeep to the main road and wait for towing, she was VERY happy with it. We recommend the same thing with your situation: Buy once, cry once.

This same scenario happened to us. Wife upset about price. Wife very happy when we got stuck with 3 kids and no cell service and the Warn pulled us out.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
All you need to do is use a winch ONCE and you will see WHY you need to get a higher quality winch and stay away from the budget minded options. My wife was at first upset with me regarding the cost of my Warn winch, but after I used it to get our Jeep to the main road and wait for towing, she was VERY happy with it. We recommend the same thing with your situation: Buy once, cry once.

Haha ain't that right but once cry once [emoji106]🏼[emoji23][emoji23]

swampdog

to the OP, what type of trails do you do, and wheeling style? A lot of mud, dirt or rockls? Although I normally run synt rope, for rocks wire is a great way to go, less maintenance, and although it frays will last well and survive rocks better. I have run different Warns, and Ramsey, and have been runningteh new gen SRC winches without any issues, and very dependable so far (knowk on wood). I had two Warns failing (one motor , one was the heat on teh terminals), but if price was equal Warn is a great setup. Avoid however their POS Powerplant models.

Good luck!

Hmmmmm...really, Smittybilt???...don't want to start a fight but yuck, I wouldn't put it on my worst enemy's jeep.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Hmmmmm...really, Smittybilt???...don't want to start a fight but yuck, I wouldn't put it on my worst enemy's jeep.

I have a smittybilt (came with the jeep) While I would have bought a Warn if I purchased it, I can't complain. Have had to make a few pulls with it, and whenever I need it it works. I think a lot comes down to how you take care of it. Many people buy cheaper, and therefor treat them like throw away items. If it breaks down the road I will upgrade. Till then no sense throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
To the OP my vote is for synthetic. So much nicer to work with. I run cable because I happen to have access to free replacements. Even that being said I have considered very seriously just spending the money to go synthetic.

Rottenbelly

Synthetic is far more durable than it gets credit for.
In my industry I use it every day. It gets wet, salty, snowed on, frozen, in every condition imaginable.
It get left under tension for a week at a time.
Failure rate is extremely low.
We usually replace it every few years.
I wouldn't even think of using steel on my winch...
We use it to attach up to 56 barges to our 12000 hp boat. If you look close you can see the face wires with the sleeves on them.

rogerk93

Synthetic is a lot easier to handle and it much lighter than cable wire. I would go with a good synthetic line

ob_tj

I went with synthetic just on the fact that it is safer if it breaks. You will also want to invest in a cover for your winch if you go with synthetic.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Good luck!

:cheesy: POS for sure, Pretty OUTSTANDING Setup

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464142889.048649.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Good luck!

I will admit that I personally know of at least 3 people who have PowerPlants and all of which have had problems, I have one on both my JK's and the one on Moby is about 9 years old. With the exception of the air compressor which broke its timing for the first time a couple of months ago (WARN replaced under warranty), both have been chugging along and without issue. Granted, I never wheel my Jeeps and have never used them for anything let alone to winch myself and others again and again and again. While I might not recommend a new PowerPlant anymore and based on what I've seen, I would still take one over an Smittybilt in a heartbeat.

I have a smittybilt (came with the jeep) While I would have bought a Warn if I purchased it, I can't complain. Have had to make a few pulls with it, and whenever I need it it works. I think a lot comes down to how you take care of it. Many people buy cheaper, and therefor treat them like throw away items. If it breaks down the road I will upgrade. Till then no sense throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.

Sorry, couldn't disagree with you more. Click on the video and fast forward to 12:10.

I simply can't make this shit up and his winch was a Smittybilt. Taking care of a China made winch has nothing to do with whether or not it'll work when you really need it to. Quality control does. If you've got one that works, awesome - you got lucky. I've seen brand new ones not work the first time it's really needed and for me, I wouldn't want to take the chance of getting the one in 100 that's bad. Of course, that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, and as far as running synth over steel goes, I'd take synth any day of the week. Of course, I never play on the rocks so you can take that for what it's worth.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Rope vs Wire

If it breaks down the road I will upgrade. Till then no sense throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist.

Think about it. If a winch breaks it will be while you are using it ... When you need it most. I went China Cheap with ShittyBilt and regretted the decision when it failed me on a hard climb when I broke an axle and needed to get to flat ground.
"It's expensive to be cheap"!

Last edited:

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Synthetic is far more durable than it gets credit for.
In my industry I use it every day. It gets wet, salty, snowed on, frozen, in every condition imaginable.
It get left under tension for a week at a time.
Failure rate is extremely low.
We usually replace it every few years.
I wouldn't even think of using steel on my winch...
We use it to attach up to 56 barges to our 12000 hp boat. If you look close you can see the face wires with the sleeves on them.

I see your 12,000 and raise you 64,000BHP. [emoji12]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466172425.165242.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466172445.897806.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466172460.683955.jpg
Good to see another maritime professional on here! [emoji106]🏻 that's one hell of a push boat.

And yes, synthetic line. Steel cable has its place, but it's hard to beat the safety factor of synthetic.

Top Bottom