Talked me out of it.

jeepmojo

instead of adding a 3/4 spacer for bumper and winch

what would be better the spacer or just go from my 14ac springs up front to a 17ac springs up front factory springs no lift ? I have a 128 lb bumper and no winch at present but might add a engo wich will put her at 190lbs

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
I went with the 2.5" BB lift witch was 2.5 front & 2 in the back. It's enough to give me the clearance I needed for now at a price I could afford. It also allowed me to keep the factory ride .Now I have the time to save and plan for the lift I really want. More so learn about the lifts , what's needed and not needed and why. The lift I got had the rear track bar relocation brk. , front and rear spacers , shock extensions, brake line extension bracket but didn't have bump stop extensions.

C.O.D.

what would be better the spacer or just go from my 14ac springs up front to a 17ac springs up front factory springs no lift ? I have a 128 lb bumper and no winch at present but might add a engo wich will put her at 190lbs

The spacer lift is a good start. Its effective and works well. If you add too much more weight you might get into some coil bind

TheDuff

I went with the 2.5" BB lift witch was 2.5 front & 2 in the back. It's enough to give me the clearance I needed for now at a price I could afford. It also allowed me to keep the factory ride .Now I have the time to save and plan for the lift I really want. More so learn about the lifts , what's needed and not needed and why. The lift I got had the rear track bar relocation brk. , front and rear spacers , shock extensions, brake line extension bracket but didn't have bump stop extensions.

C.O.D.

for what the BB is giving you in height you are probably just moving up to 33's or 35's. bump stops extensions shouldnt be needed for 33's and if the trim your fenders or run flat fenders, they wont be needed for 35's either. with that said, if you dont use larger bumps stops, you lose no up travel. the only reason left to need them would be if it looks like you could bottom the shocks out at full flex :thumb:

Tackerdown

Banned
I've struggled with the bump stop issue. The rear lowered the spring 2" and the shocks 2" so I think the travel shouldn't have changed. The front on the other hand lowered the spring 2.5" but raised the shock 2.5" . I'm not sure why they did it that way because that does change the geometry and I can see the need for extending the bump stops.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
for what the BB is giving you in height you are probably just moving up to 33's or 35's. bump stops extensions shouldnt be needed for 33's and if the trim your fenders or run flat fenders, they wont be needed for 35's either. with that said, if you dont use larger bumps stops, you lose no up travel. the only reason left to need them would be if it looks like you could bottom the shocks out at full flex :thumb:

Anytime you lift a Jeep 2" or more, you SHOULD install bumpstop extensions. They aren't just installed to prevent rubbing but rather, help prevent the over compression of your coils.

I've struggled with the bump stop issue. The rear lowered the spring 2" and the shocks 2" so I think the travel shouldn't have changed. The front on the other hand lowered the spring 2.5" but raised the shock 2.5" . I'm not sure why they did it that way because that does change the geometry and I can see the need for extending the bump stops.

"lowered?" How exactly did your coils get lowered?

Tackerdown

Banned
"lowered?" How exactly did your coils get lowered?[/QUOTE]

For some reason the only way my mind sees it is that I'm putting a spacer between the frame and the spring which is lowering the spring two inches from the frame , I then put a spacer in to lower the shock the same distance. Thus the travel for both should be the same as before and being that the bump stop mounts on the spacer :banghead: Haha soon as I said that last part. Epiphany the bump stop isn't mounted to the spacer in the back lmaorog god I kill myself some times you don't know how long that's been bugging me. To funny.

C.O.D.

StrizzyChris

For some reason the only way my mind sees it is that I'm putting a spacer between the frame and the spring which is lowering the spring two inches from the frame , I then put a spacer in to lower the shock the same distance. Thus the travel for both should be the same as before and being that the bump stop mounts on the spacer :banghead: Haha soon as I said that last part. Epiphany the bump stop isn't mounted to the spacer in the back lmaorog god I kill myself some times you don't know how long that's been bugging me. To funny.

C.O.D.

The coils are in the same spot, its your Jeep that was lifted 2" by the spacers. I had to read that a few times to make sure I was reading it correctly. :cheesy:

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

TheDuff

Anytime you lift a Jeep 2" or more, you SHOULD install bumpstop extensions. They aren't just installed to prevent rubbing but rather, help prevent the over compression of your coils.

"lowered?" How exactly did your coils get lowered?

The chance of fully compressing the coils before hitting the bump stop or bottoming out the shock hadn't occurred to me

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
I think lowering may have been the wrong term but Ahh I finally figured out my stupidity. I'm not sure why I was thinking the rear stop was on the spacer like the front.

DK'sJK

Installed the BB this last weekend but I have a couple of concerns. I feel like there isn't enough front brake line to allow full droop. What can I do to get a couple of inches to be on the safe side or do I even need to? Next what about the emergency brake cable? Again I feel there isn't enough slack for full droop.

Tackerdown

Banned
Did you get break line extension brackets,how big of a lift did you get?
I didn't notice anything with my ebreak cables.

DK'sJK

Teraflex 2.5 BB. Came with rear brake line drop down brackets but nothing for the front or ebrake.

TheDuff

My coil lift was the same. I wheeled it a a bunch of times and no problems. But I was still concerned about the front. So I ordered up some front brackets. Northridge carrys evo ones for around $20 and teraflex ones as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
hmm I couldn't tell you .I would think something like that would come with it if it were a concern. That could be a serious issue if you need them and didn't have them. So I would ass u me you don't need them.I know on the 2011 you need to do some re positioning of the metal break line to attach to the new bracket. the next lift i get I will gust order longer breaded lines.

Top Bottom