Teraflex Flex Joints - Movement?

StrizzyChris

I rebuilt my joints on the teraflex kit I had about 6 times in 2 years. When I asked teraflex about it..... and I quote "you must be to hard on them"

This post should be a sticky! :cheesy:

It would be hilarious if it weren't so damn sad! What do you think they say to people who break their tire carrier? I think that statement tells you everything you need to know about the company!

Gun

The lower can be changed out with the metal cloak duraflex joints. They cost less than the Teraflex and seemed to hold up better IMO.
the uppers you are stuck with. I rebuilt my joints on the teraflex kit I had about 6 times in 2 years. When I asked teraflex about it..... and I quote "you must be to hard on them"

Rebuild them. they don't cost that much. I tried to cross everything over to johnny joints and anything else I could think of. and no luck on the upper ones. I was going to buy a new thread bung for each arm and wield it in so I could switch out to the johnny joints. but I have changed my lift since then. :twocents:

I am going to just rebuild the front lower and only use the front lower at this time. I am debating with using the Metal Cloak Duraflex or just butting back in the Teraflex Flex Joint. Do you have to do anything special to install the Duraflex? Do you still have to use the tool (Teraflexs or DYI) to compress the sides of the joint to get the Duraflex join in place?

Sad that it appears that Teraflex cannot seem to get these joints right!

Thanks.

I am going to just rebuild the front lower and only use the front lower at this time. I am debating with using the Metal Cloak Duraflex or just butting back in the Teraflex Flex Joint. Do you have to do anything special to install the Duraflex? Do you still have to use the tool (Teraflexs or DYI) to compress the sides of the joint to get the Duraflex join in place?

Sad that it appears that Teraflex cannot seem to get these joints right!

Thanks.

No. you do not have to use the tool that teraflex sales for the duraflex joint.

rinkishjk

Reinstalled app and seems to work now.

Attachments

• 1403276735275.jpg
    1403276735275.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 1403276742432.jpg
    1403276742432.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 184
You need to press out the rubber ones. I would get some cutting oil and hose them down before you start to press them. they are the same as the OEM ones, so easy to find.

kawa001

The lower can be changed out with the metal cloak duraflex joints. They cost less than the Teraflex and seemed to hold up better IMO.
the uppers you are stuck with. I rebuilt my joints on the teraflex kit I had about 6 times in 2 years. When I asked teraflex about it..... and I quote "you must be to hard on them"

Rebuild them. they don't cost that much. I tried to cross everything over to johnny joints and anything else I could think of. and no luck on the upper ones. I was going to buy a new thread bung for each arm and wield it in so I could switch out to the johnny joints. but I have changed my lift since then. :twocents:

What a germane topic to my own situation. I'm going back and forth with Teraflex right now on why the bushings on my JK's upper and lower rear long arms are failing so quickly. TF is looking at different engineering options including a fixed bushing apparently but their position is that these bushing are good bushings as long as they are maintained and the harder you wheel the quicker they'll fail so you just need to deal with it. Sigh.

It's frustrating but at least TF responds quickly and tries to make you happy. If you want to use Metal Cloak Duroflex bushings on the TF lower control arm Monster joints the part number is #7352. You are out of luck for the uppers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
TF is looking at different engineering options including a fixed bushing apparently but their position is that these bushing are good bushings as long as they are maintained and the harder you wheel the quicker they'll fail so you just need to deal with it. Sigh.

What a lame ass position to take. I can't believe that they actually said something as stupid as that! Funny thing is, their joints are Chinese knock-offs of Currie Johnny Joint which are made in the USA and will not fail like the TeraFlex ones. I've been running Johnny Joints on my white JK with coil overs for over 4 years now and haven't had to have them rebuilt once.

It's frustrating but at least TF responds quickly and tries to make you happy.

I don't know about you but a quick response is far from being worth the time needed to rebuild their lame control arm joints again and again and again. I couldn't even get myself to run their control arms for a year.

If you want to use Metal Cloak Duroflex bushings on the TF lower control arm Monster joints the part number is #7352. You are out of luck for the uppers.

The new Duroflex bushings will NOT fix the problem with the retaining rings blowing out. It's really a waste of time and money.

There's not a JJ/housing that will work in a TF arm ?
I ran TF lowers for a while. Rebuilt the flex end after maybe 5k and was looking at options. Eventually sold the arms but never did find the answer.

rinkishjk

The new Duroflex bushings will NOT fix the problem with the retaining rings blowing out. It's really a waste of time and money.

I recall seeing a video from the Evo shop not to long ago, where a customers front control arms were clicking bad from the joints being loose and I remember them being gold.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I recall seeing a video from the Evo shop not to long ago, where a customers front control arms were clicking bad from the joints being loose and I remember them being gold.

The comments were golden. Mel didn't even mention what brand they were and yet people still felt the need to defend a certain product.

Top Bottom