TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Because it has proper spacing between the tire and the tailgate bumpstops, actually meaning there is no spacing. The tire fits tightly against it so there is zero play.

In this photo of me driving EVOLander off the ledge on the trail Steel Bender in Moab, the tire actually hung on the ledge as I dropped off. Mel said just to go ahead, it was going to break the window. I crept as slow as I could while watching the tire flex and push the third brake light into the rear window, but I cleared the obstacle without shattering the glass. EVOLander has made me a believer in the stock carrier.

I want to know what kind of protype flexable glass EVOLander is running! This story and watching the glass flex on the 2014 JKX has my convinced that isnt the original hardtop glass. :cheesy:

Voodoo Actual

What are y'all using for your Hi Lift if you are using the factory tire carrier...or if you went back to the factory tire carrier? What does Evolander have going on?

sc_rhino

I prefer a bumper tire carrier or a body mounted carrier like what EVO or GenRight make but, that's just me.

I've gotten so many compliments with my evo tire carrier about how solid it works/looks. Compared to a bumper mounted carrier, the tire never wiggles or moves. And more and more people are liking the no bumper look. Just evo d-ring mounts.

Voodoo Actual

I've gotten so many compliments with my evo tire carrier about how solid it works/looks. Compared to a bumper mounted carrier, the tire never wiggles or moves. And more and more people are liking the no bumper look. Just evo d-ring mounts.

This isn't an option for me. I'm in and out of the back far too much. It looks nice and is strong but it's not practical, for me at least.

I want to get my Hi Lift on a mount so its not just resting in the back.

Wardell

This isn't an option for me. I'm in and out of the back far too much. It looks nice and is strong but it's not practical, for me at least.

I want to get my Hi Lift on a mount so its not just resting in the back.

I've seen a mount to put a HiLift on the top bar of the roll cage. That keeps it just under the roof and out of the way. I've also seen a mount that goes on the hood, just in front of the windshield. Not sure who makes these off hand though.

Last edited:

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I have the ACE Engineering brackets that mount it on the hood hinges. I like it there as it gives it a "look" and I havent had any issues with it yet. There are other brands out there that mount them on the hood. EVO makes a mount that puts it on the tailgate. There are others as well.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I've seen a mount to put a HiLift on the top bar of the roll cage. That keeps it just under the roof and out of the way. I've also seen a mount that goes on the hood, just in front of the windshield. Not sure who makes these off hand though.

Maybe I'm over cautious, but I really don't like the idea of a Hi-Lift on the roll bar just behind the occupants inside the vehicle. If you were to get into an accident, will the mount hold and prevent the Hi-Lift from coming lose and become a 30lb projectile? I really don't think those aftermarket mounts have been crash tested to that level.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Maybe I'm over cautious, but I really don't like the idea of a Hi-Lift on the roll bar just behind the occupants inside the vehicle. If you were to get into an accident, will the mount hold and prevent the Hi-Lift from coming lose and become a 30lb projectile? I really don't think those aftermarket mounts have been crash tested to that level.

You are not overly cautious at all. Items mounted inside the cab of the vehicle can and do come lose. In my experience, I often see the rear view mirror detached from a rear and front impacts. So having such a large dangerous object such as the Hi-Lift Jack inside could be potentially deadly. Your caution is well founded.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

View attachment 15761

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

If you have or are planning to get this tire carrier, please do everyone a favor on the road and check it for cracks on a regular basis. Here's another thread that was started by a member who's tire carrier broke even though it was installed correctly by TeraFlex's standards:
Old news but in case there are any doubters

UPDATE 10/06/14:Just so that it doesn't get missed, the member FuriousDZ just had his TeraFlex Tire Carrier BREAK yet again! To be clear, this was AFTER he had his original tire carrier break at the mount and had since replaced it with the "new" tire mount. Apparently, all that did was shift the break to the next weakest point. Click on the link below to see photos and read all about it:
Not be beat a dead horse but...NEW Teraflex Tire Carrier BREAK

Once again... THANK YOU EDDIE!!!!!!!

I was just given a recommendation from a dealership to get the Teraflex Tire Carrier and after just a brief amount of research, I found this link. Holy Shit!!! I cannot say thank you enough to people like Eddie for having the courage to post this link. This is great information that allows buyers like me to avoid the minefield that is sales with an alternative agenda. I have found that the Salesperson does not care about your well being, only their profit and commission. I also cannot say how fucking tired I am of having some salesperson sell me Chinese crap to put on my American Made Jeep. I almost want to throttle the son-of-a-bitch.

Compliment and rant over.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Once again... THANK YOU EDDIE!!!!!!!

I was just given a recommendation from a dealership to get the Teraflex Tire Carrier and after just a brief amount of research, I found this link.

In Reno or in CC?

A salesman (not from whom I purchased my Jeep) in Reno tried to sell me on the power improvements of installing a CAI. I laughed. Most of the salesmen are clueless...

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
In Reno or in CC?

A salesman (not from whom I purchased my Jeep) in Reno tried to sell me on the power improvements of installing a CAI. I laughed. Most of the salesmen are clueless...

Text sent to my friend advising.

Yes, the greed of these guys can get to be pretty disgusting. Again, SUPER glad I have the great people on Wayalife to keep me informed.

Top Bottom