TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

ugh....havent seen many pics of guys running "gateless" :cheesy:
i'd love to come out with the wayalifers. i'm dying to get my rig back from mel.
as i said, i'm reviewing alternatives now. dont think the evo carrier will work with my evo stretch corners :thinking: i'm gonna run it by mel when i see him. keep me informed of any runs you are open to having me on.:beer:

Greg's EVOJEEP runs gateless and so does this one.

main.php

Well I appreciate that. :cheesy: I apologize for believing someone that they called TF. So I guess you are saying that guy lied.:idontknow:

I'm just taking in info as it comes in from people who own the carrier and/or have talked with TF about it. I guess too the pics could be photoshopped. One guy said TF told him to "alter" the install instructions. The other guy said he called tereflex and they told him it was result of running it hard in the desert to cause the break.

no. i never said anyone lied...lol just said you are going off of heresay...as in " one guy said" and "the other guy said". my interpretation of the heresay was tf told him the guy broke it driving hard in the desert because it wasn't installed properly. they put the blame on HIM for his install. my interpretation is they are saying u can wheel it as long as YOU install it correctly. very easy to interpret heresay differently. regardless...i am convinced I have an expensive POS hanging off the back of my money pit that no one wants to drive behind:gaah:

Have you looked at the GenRight steel tire carrier? It's not that much more than the TeraFlex carrier, doesn't require quarter panel armor to install and would be a much better option in my opinion.

:yup: i'm waiting to see how the stretch corners turn out so i can determine if this will work. i think it may be my best option.

Why should the reliance on hearsay stop anyone from posting? The majority of this thread is based upon a bunch of people thinking they know something, most of which is based only on what they've heard or read, with very few posters having any first hand knowledge of the incident or the carrier itself for that matter. :crazyeyes:

End rant.

I am so sick and tired...literally, I am sick and tired. :cheesy:

Now I'm going back to the sweet overlanding videos that I've been watching.

:sigh:

Why should the reliance on hearsay stop anyone from posting? The majority of this thread is based upon a bunch of people thinking they know something, most of which is based only on what they've heard or read, with very few posters having any first hand knowledge of the incident or the carrier itself for that matter. :crazyeyes:

End rant.

Rant well taken.....

Some honey and robotussin will clear that right up. Think I saw that on a vid somewhere. :cheesy: Actually think it was monster, but i'd sub :honey:

End rant.

It is funny isn't it. Such is the internet.

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.

End rant.

I just think it's funny how many people have viewed this thread! Trolls! Hahaha Even I can't stop reading it...

I keep reading it because I was looking at the very products being discussed. I dont have anything bad/good to say about the products or the parent company. However, I am glad that the subjects were brought to our attention.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

...and for the love god, it's hearsay (as in, you hear it from someone else and then say it), not heresay or even heresy (although some of the fanboys may think heresy is the proper word to describe any negative post about TeraFlex).

Sorry, carry on. :cheesy:

Last edited:
...and for the love god, it's hearsay (as in, you hear it from someone else and then say it), not heresay or even heresy (although some of the fanboys may think heresy is the proper word to describe any negative post about TeraFlex).

Sorry, carry on. :cheesy:

Next time ill just say scuttlebutt as to not offend the grammar police.:standing wave:

Hey, I just saw your Jeep today - LOOKING AWESOME!! :thumb:

Oh really? Thank you. I have complete confidence in Mel and the crew at ORE. I haven't seen it. Only the pics from Facebook that Mel posted. Last pic was the first cut. It's tough for me to get down there cuz I work graveyard. I may have to stop by cause I am dying over here. How far along was it?

Oh really? Thank you. I have complete confidence in Mel and the crew at ORE. I haven't seen it. Only the pics from Facebook that Mel posted. Last pic was the first cut. It's tough for me to get down there cuz I work graveyard. I may have to stop by cause I am dying over here. How far along was it?

It's coming along nicely. I'll try to post up some pics for you later.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Teraflex and they said at this point there is no modification that is going into production. He said it was possible that there will be a change for the next generation, but hadn't seen anything or heard anything official. There was no ETA on any changes. He had heard about this pic from someone tearing through the desert with it installed improperly which caused a failure to occur. He said that maybe the guy (presumably your friend WOL) may have installed a gusset himself, but he wasn't familiar with any leaving TF with the modification done it it.

So that's where they are officially. I'd like to see the part he got when he contacted them.

So, I talked to my friend Tom and can tell you that TeraFlex is lying and he did in fact get a new bracket from them, complete with 2 new gussets welded inside the thin cylindrical tube and he still has the packaging to prove it. I apologize for the small pics but, it was a mistake and they are all that I was able to get today...
main.php

main.php

Here you can see them through the cutout in the side of the tube...
main.php

Now, if there's nothing wrong with this bracket, why send out this new and improved one?? :rolleyes2:

Oh, I'd also like to point out that my friend got around to re-installing the bracket and, from what I could see, the sidewall of his spare is able to make decent contact with the factory rubber isolator...
main.php

However, try as hard as he had, he could only get the passenger side to lightly touch the hinge...
main.php

Unfortunately, this still allows for A LOT of jiggling just like before and it can be easily seen when you just close the tailgate. There is simply no way to get that thing any closer or, at least not with the wheels he has.

I should also note that I was over at Off Road Evolution today and saw a couple other JK's that had this same tire mount (none that were installed by ORE and with wheels that were different from the ATX Slabs that Tom has) and much to my surprise, neither of them had spares that sat firmly against the hinge and both jiggled just like Tom's when you closed the tailgate. I guess there are other people out there without the kind of "common sense" that some of the trolls here would suggest that everyone should have. :rolleyes2:

So, I talked to my friend Tom and can tell you that TeraFlex is lying and he did in fact get a new bracket from them, complete with 2 new gussets welded inside the thin cylindrical tube and he still has the packaging to prove it. I apologize for the small pics but, it was a mistake and they are all that I was able to get today...
main.php

main.php

Here you can see them through the cutout in the side of the tube...
main.php

Now, if there's nothing wrong with this bracket, why send out this new and improved one?? :rolleyes2:

Wow is all I can say. :jaw drop: looks like a new and improved part to me

Wow is all I can say. :jaw drop: looks like a new and improved part to me

That's what I've been saying. I have no reason to make any of this up and can't understand why TeraFlex is essentially telling people that I'm a liar. If there's nothing wrong with their bracket as they seem to be claiming now, why make this improvement and send it out. This whole thing is starting to really stink and any faith I had in them as a company is quickly flying out the door :naw:

That's what I've been saying. I have no reason to make any of this up and can't understand why TeraFlex is essentially telling people that I'm a liar. If there's nothing wrong with their bracket as they seem to be claiming now, why make this improvement and send it out. This whole thing is starting to really stink and any faith I had in them as a company is quickly flying out the door :naw:

Agreed. Nice work getting to the bottom of this fiasco. :spy:

Top Bottom